Mission: Twitch’s video platform is the backbone of both live and on-demand distribution for the entire video game ecosystem. This includes game developers, publishers, media outlets, events, user generated content, and the entire esports scene. In February 2014, Wall Street ...
Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers with more than 100 million visitors per month. We want to connect gamers around the world by allowing them to broadcast, watch, and chat from everywhere they play.
Broadcast all the games! There’s a universe of gaming video waiting to be discovered on Twitch. Whether you’re into retro favorites, strategic eSports titles, first-person shooters, or massively multiplayer pasta cooking dating simulators, if you love playing it, you’ll find it on Twitch.
Twitch is home to the most dedicated and highly skilled gamers on the planet. They shatter world records. They cruise through the newest titles. They make headlines with world-first accomplishments, and they make it all look easy. Discover why they’re the best at what they do on Twitch.
Twitch features the best gaming events, period. We have it all: large-scale gaming competitions that pack stadiums, community marathons that raise millions of dollars for charity, and video game industry events where the future of gaming is forged. And that’s just the beginning.
Twitch is where you’ll find the best online video shows in the gaming world. From behemoths like Joystiq, Gamespot, and Destructoid, to insiders like LiveonThree, ManvsGame, and Day9, this is where you’ll find the vanguard of live gaming entertainment.
Twitch is one of the fastest growing technology companies in San Francisco, and we’re looking for creative, skilled and diverse individuals to help make our company, products and services even better!
Twitch is changing the world by building its biggest live video broadcasting platform and community for gamers, and changing the way in which people consume, interact with and create live video.
Twitch is tackling and solving some of the hardest technology problems on the planet and doing things that nobody’s done before, or at least haven’t done well.
It’s sort of a given—every career page invariably talks about how awesome and incredible the people you’ll be working with are. But objectively, we ARE the most awesome and incredible! We’ve got everyone from young grads who are excited to try to change the world, to grizzled dot-com veterans who have done it before and want to do it again. We have people with graduate degrees from some of the world’s most prestigious universities, and college dropouts whose primary qualification is the ability to get things done.
You should never work somewhere just because of their perks, but we do have some awesome ones. Happy people are productive people, so we have catered lunches and dinners, snacks, gym memberships, massages and more.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
We offer full group plans through Anthem Blue Cross and Kaiser with great health coverage to employees and their dependents. Our insurance benefits also include dental, vision, life insurance, and a 401k retirement plan.
Catered Meals + Unlimited Snacks & Drinks
At Twitch, you will never be hungry. We cater lunch and dinner every weekday, along with breakfast every Tuesday. The menu includes a wide variety of comfort food, combined with local ethnic specialities. Snacks and drinks are also readily available. If we don't have what you're looking for, we'll order it for you. Family, friends and guests are always welcome.
Flexible Time Off Policy
Our paid time off and sick day policies are highly-flexible. It is based on manager approval and team notification.
Subsidized Gym Membership
After a long day of exercising your mind, throw on some gym clothes and give your body a work out. With your overall health in mind, we chip in for your monthly gym membership at the luxurious Sports Club/LA, which is right across the street!
Our massage therapist is certified in the Swedish modality and trained in Deep Tissue work. Get your stress and sore muscles massaged away bimonthly.
Public Transportation Reimbursement
Instead of driving to work, utilized the great public transportation system the San Francisco Bay Area offers: Bart, Muni, & Caltrain. We will cover the cost to help keep the planet green.
Attend Gaming Tournaments & Events
Everyone at Twitch is encouraged to attend a gaming event each year. Ever wanted to go to E3, EVO, PAX, Comic Con, etc.? Take your pick and we’ll send you there.
Create Your Perfect Work Setup
Build your dream computer, order whatever design tools you desire, and get as many monitors as you can fit on your desk. Chances are we have what you need lying around, but if not, we will get you whatever tools and hardware you need to build your ideal setup.
For internships we look for candidates who:
Bonus Points if:
To learn more about interning with Twitch or to apply, click here
For new grad full-time engineers we look for candidates who:
Bonus Points if:
If you are graduating in Winter 2015 and want to learn more aboutnew grad opportunities at Twitch or to apply, click here
If you are graduating in Spring 2016 and want to learn more aboutnew grad opportunities at Twitch or to apply, click here
I have been working at Twitch full-time (More than 3 years)
- Our biggest problem (at least on our team) is that we have a vision to build systems and tech much larger than today's, and the problem set is hard. It's rare to get to work on technical problems like this as a day job.
- Amazon honestly is very lenient on us. We get to choose our tech stacks, tools, methodologies, etc. Their approach is not a top down one where you are told which CI system or tool to use. There are teams building support systems, and as an engineer you literally own your destiny and pick the best tools for the job.
- The amount of freedom we have in terms of proposing projects that actually happen is really good. We have practically no restrictions on equipment and tech resource availability. The amount of freedom to pick and use open source or AWS resources is really, really good. As some one who worked in the past at places penny pinching, or where asking for compute resources were months long requests to finance, this availability makes me super happy.
- The company does listen to feedback and take it seriously. Management actually cares about people and give priority to this. There has been a lot of movement lately to actually address pain points brought up.
- Office coffee leaves much to be desired.
- Late 2016/2017 were rough. We suddenly got a TON of external competition from heavy hitters (youtube, facebook). The company went gung-ho on features and catch up, which was hard but necessary. We are in a much better spot today, but it was hard on people.
- Twitch had a mix of legacy systems from the justin.tv days, along the newer ones. Literally the whole company spent last year a large amount of time to work on the very unsexy problem of cleaning debt. This was also hard on everyone, but we got rid for the most part of massive chunks of tech debt.
- Some parts of twitch do suffer of "not-invented-here" syndrome. We could leverage more external and amazon's tools, which will free up time to work on other larger technical challenges.
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.
- Applied online for a generic Software Engineering position.
- Had a recruiter call a week later to talk about Twitch, my background, what I was looking for.
- Twitch sent me an online exam to complete. I had about 3 hours to do it which included 3 coding questions.
- A couple weeks later they invited me for an on-site.
- On-site had
- 3 technical interviews: mostly whiteboard coding and system design and another done with a computer (you were free to pick whatever medium you liked).
- Lunch with someone talking about culture, roles, working at Twitch, my background, etc...
- Final interview with the hiring manager going through all your background, experiences, challenges, etc...