- Washington, DC
- 10000+ Employees
- 10 Locations
- Type: Government
- Founded in 1789
- Revenue: Unknown / Non-Applicable
- National Agencies
What are your colleagues talking about?
U.S. Department of State Reviews
- The work culture is more positive than other agencies’ work culture. - If you find a promotion-heavy job category, you can stay in for several years with consistent promotions every 52 weeks. - Health benefits are pretty sound and with reliable coverage and pricing. - Retirement benefits are great. - Parental leave is ample for mothers and fathers. - Telework flexibility is prevalent in most positions. - The agency cares about raising up good leaders. - TDY opportunities can be plentiful and very rewarding. - DOS advocates for details with other offices and agencies to encourage relationships within the federal government, so this can ultimately lead to better promotion opportunities for employees.
- PTO accrual is bleak. - The best opportunity for positions is often in high cost-of-living cities. - Performance recognition can be hard to come by. - The wait to promote to the next grade (52 consecutive weeks of full time work) can make-or-break desires to stay for some employees. - Equating private-sector salary and experience to GS scale is difficult and can often result in an undercut salary.
U.S. Department of State Interviews
- Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FLAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy InterviewApplication
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Department of State (Tampa, FL) in Aug 2023
InterviewApply online and then go through one round of interviews through a phone call. It was professional and the interview centered around my experience and what I could bring to the internship program.Interview
Which experience has taught me the most? And how has that impacted me either professionally or personally?Answer Question
See All 322 interviews
U.S. Department of State Awards & Accolades
- Best Places to Work for Commuters, National Center for Transit Research at USF, 2012
- Top 20 Government Employers - Readers' Choice, Equal Opportunity Publications, 2012
- Best Workplaces for Commuters, National Center for Transit Research at USF, 2010
- Best Places To Work in the Federal Government (Large), Partnership for Public Service, 2009
Popular Careers with U.S. Department of State Job Seekers
U.S. Department of State FAQ
All answers shown come directly from U.S. Department of State Reviews and are not edited or altered.
...The company had Good benefits...
March 22, 2022
People Also Ask about U.S. Department of State
Employees rate U.S. Department of State 4 out of 5 stars based on 1,801 anonymous reviews on Glassdoor.
Overall, 81% of employees would recommend working at U.S. Department of State to a friend. This is based on 1,801 anonymously submitted reviews on Glassdoor.
81% of job seekers rate their interview experience at U.S. Department of State as positive. Candidates give an average difficulty score of 2.9 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty) for their job interview at U.S. Department of State.
69% of employees think that U.S. Department of State has a positive business outlook. This is based on anonymous employee reviews submitted on Glassdoor.