Mission: Our mission is to bring affordable prices and a high selection of quality goods to everyone across the globe. Wish is redefining the shopping mall by providing a personalized, convenient, and inexpensive way to buy goods for hundreds of millions of consumers around the world.
I have been working at Wish full-time (More than a year)
- Growth: Fast growing business with massive scale provides for a great learning environment. Wish provides the opportunity to work with many talented, smart and hard working individuals.
- Impact : At any level the work you do is impactful and you are empowered to make decisions based off of it
- Ambitious: Wish is a company with lofty aspirations and a can do attitude
- People: People here are fun, humble smart and a little bit nerdy. Politics seem to be at a minimum
- Tech Perks: Catered food, unlimited vacation, great locations and beautiful office, sports teams,
- Not a brand name unicorn despite the success we've had in scaling
- Could do more to attract a more diverse range of candidates (ethnic backgrounds, broader ranges of new grad recruiting)
- Management often times lacks transparency especially in the light of the removal of several senior individuals
- Non-Engineering employees have different RSU vesting schedules (5 vs. 4 years)
Advice to Management
1. Hire a COO - Cofounders can seem blunt, and aloof to which can be intimidating for newer employees who have had minimal interactions with them. To some extent this has driven a culture of fear and might be a hinderance towards the responsiveness of the organization as employees are afraid to raise up issues. A COO can mediate these needs (especially for non tech teams) and help think about organizational structure and procedures as we scale.
2. Invest in manager development - Wish provides great opportunities for advancement for people straight out of college and in fact many of our senior leaders came from this type of background. As we continue to build and hire more people we need stronger manager's who know how to balance the needs of the organization as well as the individuals working for the company. Given many of the hires are recent grads, having stronger mentors in the organization would really very helpful.
3. Develop a comprehensive brand strategy - While sponsoring the Laker's is great, Wish should be more proactive in media/PR communications. While we have a great DR driven acquisition and relevancy engines, our branding and trust in our brand is low. This has implications not only on our ability to retain customers but also our ability to recruit talent
I applied online. I interviewed at Wish.
Submitted application online. Initial phone screen from recruiter. Scheduled a phone screen where the interviewer was late by about 5 mins. After general introduction and questions was left with about 30mins to solve the DP question.
Our booth at UBC last week.
We're headed to the Vancouver Start Up Week on Sept 28th. See you there!
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –