1-800 CONTACTS Reviews | Glassdoor

1-800 CONTACTS CEO John Graham
John Graham
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work hard while here so we can maintain a great work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• They take great care of their employees when it comes to benefits and events (film festivals, summer event, lensy awards) (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They really take our suggestions as call center agents very seriously and then take action (in 23 reviews)

• Even if you don't like customer service/sales job, this one could probably change your mind (in 8 reviews)

1. "Impressed so far!"

Current Employee - Compliance in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Compliance in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company makes sure that you have every opportunity to do well at your job. You have sufficient training with mentors the whole time. I feel like the management really takes their time to engage with their employees. They make it easy to like your job.

Cons

As of right now - they only have two soup options :-)

but for real- its a great company!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thang! :-) You're doing great!

2. "Pleasant place to work. Treats employees well"

Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Location, Facilities, Events

Cons

No Stock Options, Little opportunity for profit sharing.

3. "1-800 Contacts"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with 1-800 Contacts for four years. It has been the greatest company to work for. I have developed so much, and I have had great opportunities to make an impact on the business.

Cons

There are other companies in the value that pay more per hour, but that has been a non issue for me when I consider all of the great benefits (subsidized lunch, 401K match, tuition reimbursement, bonuses, movie tickets).

4. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Digital Compliance
    Former Employee - Digital Compliance

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working at 1800 Contacts. I would have never left if I didn't have to move. There is nothing better with working at the company then the culture and environment they have. The positivity and niceness is just contagious. You're able to work from home if you would like which helped me a lot from being late or when I was feeling good. The company offers a full service grill with quality food. Compared to other companies, it is very easy to move around to different departments and move further up if you want to. The only reason why it would make it hard to move up though is that people don't ever leave the company so they never need positions to fill but 1800 Contacts really tries to work with you to be were you want to be with the company. They have such a relaxed dress code which was one of my favorite things! They also have great work benefits, tuition reimbursement (which really helped me) and amazing incentives like movies, money, and parties. I really loved my time working with 1800 Contacts.

Cons

Unless you been there for 10-15 years, it can be really hard take time off. If requested far in advance, it is much easier, but day or two before or emergencies can be really hard to get the time off you need. However, workforce and managers will really try to help accommodate if it is a emergency.

Advice to Management

The people who actually do the work on a daily basis, will know more about the work and workload then you so just understand and listen instead of just looking at what the statistics say.

5. "1800 Contacts"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Great people, benefits, amenities, wellness center

Cons

They're great on promoting within, but sometimes growth is limited. Pay is average

6. "Career growth is amazing!"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Every employer I've worked for says they put the customer and the associate first. 1-800 Contacts is the first that actually does. It's not just lip service here. I've had the opportunity to grow and advance in my professional career. The company is highly invested in providing development opportunities for associates and actually cares about where I would like to go with my career. Coaching, feedback and the freedom to empower associates to make decisions is something that has always been very unique to this organization.

Cons

We've been known as a company that leads out in our industry. When it comes to innovation, creativity and service, we have always been among the best. I think this has suffered a bit over the last year or so. The organization is definitely well on it's way to getting back to where we once were.

Advice to Management

As mentioned, I am extremely excited for what lies ahead and happy to be a part of such an amazing organization. I love the 'back to our roots' effort and the undeviating focus on the associate and the customer.

7. "Great company"

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Flexibility working with schedule, ability to work from home

Cons

The Compliance department specifically had a lot of micro-management when it came to daily work duties.

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people and a good culture

Cons

Managment talks about people behind their backs

"I used to LOVE 1-800"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not sure what to write here anymore

Cons

Lots of politics, and promotions are sadly based primarily on who you know and whether you fit the mold rather than competence and ability.

They have created a very entitled community due to so many perks. It's funny to list this as a con, but people here just expect handouts now. Free gym, subsidized meals, free UTA pass. These are great things to offer, but sadly this creates a mindset that rewards minimal effort rather than top performers.

Pay is below market for most jobs, and again, it's difficult to advance in your career or get learning opportunities unless you have the mentality of a politician.

Advice to Management

Take a look back at your roots and what made 1-800 a great place to work. Be wary of an entitled culture, and watch out for the tell-tale signs of favoritism based on a friendship/schmoozing rather than rewarding/promoting top performers and team-players.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Jan 2, 2018 – Director, People Operations

We appreciate your advice to management in this review. Being wary of an entitled culture is certainly something we need to be mindful of given all of the perks and amenities we provide. The large... More

"CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most awesome and friendly places to work.

Cons

none really. I just felt the need for a change