1-800 CONTACTS Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
1-800 CONTACTS CEO Brian Bethers
Brian Bethers

Pros
  • We work hard while here so we can maintain a great work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• They take great care of their employees when it comes to benefits and events (film festivals, summer event, lensy awards) (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a slight lack of recognition from management outside of the call center (in 22 reviews)

• When you find success it is far too easy to become a target for a manager's political gain causing a lack of trust towards upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Employment Decision I've Ever Made..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at 1-800 CONTACTS over 14 years ago to work as an E-commerce Software Development Lead. I can honestly say that coming to 1-800 CONTACTS was truly the best career decision I've ever made. Management truly cares about the individual, and we treat each other like family here. I've grown more than I ever imagined, and have been empowered to control my career as well as help the company grow. Servicing our customer, and constantly improving their experience, drives everything we do, and is truly the focus of the company. I'm proud to work for such a great company, with such great customer service, and I hope to continue to be here for as long as I can.

Cons

1-800 CONTACTS has always had great success. As the company has grown it has struggled, as any successful company does, with the growing pains and to keep up with the culture and roots the company was founded upon. However, I am always impressed that the company has not stopped seeking ways to improve as we go, heal the growing pains through constant improvement and adjusting as we go, and continues to make this the best place to work.

Advice to Management

I've been impressed that 1-800 CONTACTS management takes feedback seriously, and really does want to strive to improve any areas that are lacking. I am always impressed by the comradery of the management team, and how much they truly care about the customers and employees. I think as long as 1-800 CONTACTS continues to focus on customer service, and the individual employee, I believe it will continue to succeed.

"Excellent Compnay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management will notice and help you to move up in the company. The schedules are fluid. The people who work there are great and the company is always changing to improve its benefits for employees.

Cons

The repetitive nature of the job can be tough. Prank callers are very annoying and there is no way to block them.

Advice to Management

NA

"Great company to work at!...poor long term compensation"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

this is probably one of the greatest companies to work at in the valley.
    - benefits are great
    - subsidized meals
    - great work environment
    - very well organized
    - this company is made up of very talented and honest people
    - hire at a very competitive salary

Cons

- this company does not have a very good year over year compensation increase. (Less than Inflation)
    - the only way to get a real raise is to shoot for a management position or through promotions.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they are worth! and annual raises are not raises if they are less than Inflation!!

"Best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are amazing and the management team really knows how to show their appreciation for their employees. They make work fun and I enjoy coming every day.

Cons

free gym, free breakfast, movies on the clock, fun events... what's to dislike?

Advice to Management

Turn the air conditioning down so we don't freeze all summer! :)

"Awesome Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company culture
    On-sight fitness center
    On-sight restaurant with highly subsidized meals
    Awesome corporate party's and events-- Summer Bash, Film Festivals, Awards night, Sport
           competitions/sponsored events, etc.
    Free/discounted tickets to local sporting events frequently available
    Reasonable flexibility for time-off
    Fun and supportive co-workers

Cons

I can't think of any right now!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Prescription Verification Specialists"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employee benefits. Nice people. Work From Home.

Cons

Doesn't value Culture.
    Poor Management.
    This company wants you to think that your opinion matters. In reality they don't.
    Very poor training classes.
    When you are good at something, they find ways to get rid of you and then replace you with someone who doesn't know anything about the job.

"Hmmm... Vision doesn't match Execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the day to day experience is pretty good the company provides a lot of fun stuff for employees to keep them entertained. Things like:
       Film Festivals,
       Awards,
       Summer Party,
       Bowling and Golf Tournaments
    Benefits are fairly standard
    - Subsidized meals
    - 401k Match
    - Health Dental and Vision
    --- they offer 50% off your contact lenses, but check around sometimes price-match can beat the employee discount

Cons

800Contacts is very flat and there isn't a lot of room for personal growth.
    The company overall has a really good vision and idea for what the culture should be, but, office politics are really hard to maneuver around. When you find success it is far too easy to become a target for a manager's political gain causing a lack of trust towards upper management.
    Also, gossip that spreads around about co-workers is a serious issue in the building.

Advice to Management

It is a good company to work for.
    My advice to management:
       - Be nice
       - Communicate
       - Champion each other because we win as a team
       - Champion those who's work makes you look good
       - Help diffuse gossip rather than encourage it

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Feb 2, 2017

Thank you for your critical feedback. We value our associates opinions and work very hard to make contacts a fun and safe environment to work in. We have an open door policy at 1-800 contacts and ... More

"Great company, and great job if you're in the right department"

Current Employee - Digital Compliance Agent in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Digital Compliance Agent in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS part-time

Pros

Contacts tries very hard to take care of their employees! There are many perks that come with a part of the job. Especially if you work in-house. They are in a beautiful new building with an onsite restaurant, gym and many other pluses. The upper management seems to really care about the employees and we have awesome parties every summer.

Cons

My department is consistently understaffed and going through managerial changes. The morale has started to slip because we don't feel we're paid enough for how hard we work, especially since it's busy all the time and they can't keep the department properly staffed.

Advice to Management

The expectations are very high for agents with this company however it seems like once you've worked hard and made it to a manager position, you have permission to slack off. The hardest workers I know are not the managers. They are the "little people". I see managers goofing off all the time while we are hard at work. It's pretty frustrating.

"A company that values you"

Current Employee - Administrative in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am fortunate to work for a company that cares. I know my team members care about me and my development. I receive ample amounts of feedback solely meant to help shape me into an ever better employee. I work with very skilled individuals who I learn a lot from. It's empowering to work for a company that puts so much weight into their company values. I often attend meetings where the values are incorporated into even the simplest of situations. Seeing the company as a whole put weight in their values is infectious. It only makes me want to implement them more into my individual work load.

Cons

I am considered "home grown". I've worked with the company for a good chunk of time and started in the call center. In the few promotions I've earned, my pay increase was minimal. Those who are hired outside of the company have a slighter advantage to negotiate pay. I'm happy in my role, but sometimes feel less valued based off my pay.

Advice to Management

Reward those who are "home grown", they are the lifeblood of the company. Their loyalty is already there, and if paid adequately, they will continue to be loyal. It's heartbreaking to lose great employees because they felt they could be more valued and better compensated elsewhere.

"Great Place to Work - But More Sales Than Service"

Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Sales Representative in Riverton, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice Amenities. Cool Environment. Great Benefits.

Cons

High-pressure Sales Environment. Very competitive trainers and managers. I often felt overwhelmed by the stress of the sale. I went in thinking it was more customer service but was sorely mistaken when I found out it was primarily sales.

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Dec 1, 2016

Thank you so much for your comments and insight. We always appreciate valuable and constructive feedback from alumni and associates. We are constantly working to improve our recruiting and our ... More