1-800 CONTACTS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
1-800 CONTACTS CEO John Graham
John Graham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work hard while here so we can maintain a great work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Fun activities for the family, great benefits and flexible (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Still a call center, no matter what color you paint it (in 27 reviews)

• Even if you don't like customer service/sales job, this one could probably change your mind (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company that treats everyone like family"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many pros about contacts. One that amazed me was the opportunity for growth. I was constantly recognized for my hard work and was promoted a few times because of it. I saw others around me get promoted to positions in management within only a few months of working at contacts because they were such driven and hard workers. Other perks were the amazing events, the wellness center (and the wellness center staff who are so dedicated to helping the associates) on-site massages, on-site vision center with free exams for employees and family, half off contacts and eye wear, on-site grill, tuition assistance, associate outreach, shift flexibility, and great work-life balance.

Cons

I would say that contacts pays slightly lower than surrounding companies.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your associates!

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Mar 9, 2018 – Director, People Operations

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's important for us to know what associates value and what is remembered most. We are in the process of reviewing our compensation structure and have... More

2. "Love this company!"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

1-800-Contacts cares about their employees and customers. Every decision is made with the customer & employee in mind. I have found that most co workers I come in contact with are authentic, genuine and caring. I would recommend 1-800-Contacts to any of my friends 10 out of 10

Cons

Hard to think of any - anyone that wants to be successful, can be successful at 1-800-Contacts

"Fabulous!"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Positive Environment
    Great Management
    Executives Are Open
    Ethical and Responsible Business Practices
    Concerned About Everyone, Professionally and Personally
    On Site Cafeteria
    On Site Gym with Free Personal Training

Cons

Tuition reimbursement is restrictive
    Still a call center, no matter what color you paint it

Advice to Management

Keep listening and boosting your agents! It helps more than you know.

"Company down hil"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Takes care of customers and make sure orders are out

Cons

Use to be about "customer backwards" but ever since new management, it's all about saving money and not giving a crap about the associates. Started working here and the company was so fun and amazing to work for, but now I'm following every one else and getting out. If you don't want to be appreciated at this job, apply.

Advice to Management

Take care of your team and actually make sure they enjoy their job.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work! Great atmosphere, free food and drinks. Fun activities for the family, great benefits and flexible

Cons

Didn't like having to up sell all of the time

6. "Decent"

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Pretty good people to work with.

Cons

Management gets spoiled. Don't treat "grunts" right.

7. "Online chat Specialist"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, onsite gym, fun company events, great and affordable food in cafeteria, nice bonus structure, plenty of overtime opportunities, AMAZING insurance plan, onsite vision clinic.

Cons

Base pay and you don't get holiday pay on holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Easter. It would be nice to get paid for those days so we don't have to make up for that later on in the week.

Advice to Management

The management at 1-800-CONTACTS is truly amazing! They're always willing to help if you are struggling with quality. They truly want you to succeed! I know that management gets to work on a lot of other side projects. It would be nice to be in the know of what kind of projects they're working on and future business ventures the company is working on.

"Do you like Prime Rib? Grilled Salmon? Chicken Fajitas?"

Current Employee - Sales and Service in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Sales and Service in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS (Less than a year)

Pros

Look no further!1-800 contacts is the place to be! Unmatched culture, top of the line training program, transparent leadership, plus a gourmet grille to order from!

Cons

At this time, the only con is that they do not have a barista on staff... No seriously though.... This company is incredible!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

1-800 CONTACTS Response

Apr 4, 2018 – Director, People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We may have to look into getting a barista!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance, free and reduced price food, coaching to help improve, friendly people, fun events, great bonus structure

Cons

Phone work can get a bit boring, but the culture of the company makes up for it

"How to use lies and manipulation to trick your employees 101"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS (Less than a year)

Pros

Note: All of these pro's are also cons. Nothing here is given without ulterior motive.

They will suck you in with talks of commission, free gym, discounted chef meals, great company events, discounts on the company product, agent empowerment which is basically giving you the ability to be in control while on the phones. They love to boast about what a great positive attitude the company has, how everyone here is friends, and how many people have found their spouses here which really does appeal to the young 20 year old LDS demographic they target in hiring. I honestly believe the CEO is a borderline genius-- but you will see why I think this in the cons section.

Cons

Let's break down why this company offers the perks they do and how it benefits the company and, ultimately, robs you of your livelihood.

Free Gym, discounted meals- These are great perks at first- until you realize that a limited amount of the meals are discounted and then the price goes up. They fail to mention this and so you find yourself paying way more than anticipated. Not to mention all purchases are just deducted from your paycheck, that way they can give you 'discounted food' and also pay you less. In addition I betcha if you looked at their overhead of how much these meals actually cost, they are not losing any money by doing this. Gym? It's about dependency. Why would you want to leave a company if you have to go buy a gym membership, too? It is a cheap way to keep you from leaving.

Commission--it's a lie. You don't get commission, period. They wait until the end weeks of training to let you know that they have a bonus structure for only top performers and you can earn up to $3 extra an hour if you hit these metrics. Crunch the numbers and you will find if they even gave you 1% commission on every sale (no company gives only 1%), you would make way more money. The bonus structure is designed to make you work harder for less but still feel like you are being paid fairly. Very, very, very smart.

Agent empowerment- they talk about how you have the power to give discounts and such to customers at your own discretion. It's totally true. But the purpose of this is quite sinister- it is to make you feel as though you have control and a real stake in the company. If we are actually empowered, why is there no option to own a legitimate share of the company? Because that would be far too expensive. It is easier to let you give $20 discounts to customers and give you the delusion that you are somehow responsible for if someone buys a product or not. Factor in the money they are saving by not giving you real commission and they have a cushy overhead to give you this 'empowerment'.

Dependency- the culture of this company, and you will hear them talk about it a lot, is to identify people pleasers and those with co-dependency tendencies. The perks are offered of low cost to the company and perceived as high value to the employees even though they are not. The activities the company puts on are emphasized because they would actually love if your only friends and your spouse were within the company- it makes it harder to leave the company. The fact that you were hand picked by the company is not actually a complement- they profile people using a psychological assessment and only hire the most agreeable people. Anyone who they believe may speak out and ask questions is eliminated, which is why their training classes are full of young kids who don't know anything. I originally thought they were ageist, but now I think it's more about the idea that young people will be easier to control.

Their culture of positive attitude is actually just active thought suppression. You cannot disagree with people here or challenge higher ups. You cannot even vent or admit if you are having a bad day. It is a carefully crafted illusion to make you believe everyone else here is happy, so why aren't you? Majority of employees are just putting on a fake face due to inability to be honest. It is true psychological warfare.

Don't forget that upon hiring, there is no promised time off. You earn 15 minutes every 40 hours you work and they rely on this ridiculous point system that basically if you have an unexpected sick day you are the person who is penalized. So if you ever need time off that is not 3 weeks in advanced, forget about it. They want old dedicated workerbees to whom work is their main concern.

The CEO manages to make a profit by exploiting employees in the ways listed above in conjunction with a long list of SLAPP lawsuits where their main goal is to bankrupt their competitors. That's what the floor of legal team is for. With these two money making strategies, of course they can afford to give their customers discounts....all on your back!

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think for the business model you've got going all of these things work. You target young LDS people who never catch on. The only flaw is you sometimes hire people like me who see through the propaganda. Unless you want to completely rework your company, there is no fixing this. Your company's entire business model relies on exploiting your employees and giving them a false sense of empowerment, and you profit doing it, so what would be the motivation to change? Keep on doing your thing...hopefully this review helps some potential new hires to stay away and find a similar position that has real commission.