1-800 CONTACTS Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
1-800 CONTACTS CEO Brian Bethers
Brian Bethers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We work hard while here so we can maintain a great work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• They take great care of their employees when it comes to benefits and events (film festivals, summer event, lensy awards) (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • They really take our suggestions as call center agents very seriously and then take action (in 23 reviews)

• Even if you don't like customer service/sales job, this one could probably change your mind (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Employment Decision I've Ever Made..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at 1-800 CONTACTS over 14 years ago to work as an E-commerce Software Development Lead. I can honestly say that coming to 1-800 CONTACTS was truly the best career decision I've ever made. Management truly cares about the individual, and we treat each other like family here. I've grown more than I ever imagined, and have been empowered to control my career as well as help the company grow. Servicing our customer, and constantly improving their experience, drives everything we do, and is truly the focus of the company. I'm proud to work for such a great company, with such great customer service, and I hope to continue to be here for as long as I can.

Cons

1-800 CONTACTS has always had great success. As the company has grown it has struggled, as any successful company does, with the growing pains and to keep up with the culture and roots the company was founded upon. However, I am always impressed that the company has not stopped seeking ways to improve as we go, heal the growing pains through constant improvement and adjusting as we go, and continues to make this the best place to work.

Advice to Management

I've been impressed that 1-800 CONTACTS management takes feedback seriously, and really does want to strive to improve any areas that are lacking. I am always impressed by the comradery of the management team, and how much they truly care about the customers and employees. I think as long as 1-800 CONTACTS continues to focus on customer service, and the individual employee, I believe it will continue to succeed.

2. "CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most awesome and friendly places to work.

Cons

none really. I just felt the need for a change

"This used to be the place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1-800 Contacts is conveniently located off the freeway in Draper making it easy to commute to for Utah County, and Salt Lake County employees. They stress a fun cultured environment, and a passion for customer service. Two benefits they have that no one else has, is the gorgeous onsite gym facilities and the vision center.

Cons

1-800 Contacts will lure you in with their great culture, their deep love of customer service, and pay you at market. You can expect a 2-5% raise with any promotion, which over time will put you well under market. 1-800 Contacts has a great culture. They were one of the first companies to implement a culture, but a good culture is now standard for other competing companies.

4. "Digital Compliance Agent"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

The company cares about employees happiness. There is a large gym for free use and a restaurant for employees use. Bonus structure and benefits are available for all entry-level employees. Great work environment.

Cons

Sometimes they may be looking for night positions and it can be hard to get approved for a morning position. Scheduling is given to the tenured agents.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am very good at sales, customer service, and i love helping people

Cons

There is no job security

Advice to Management

none

6. "Great Culture"

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time

Pros

Benefits and culture are greatl

Cons

Not as competive in pay as I would like.

"A Contact Company that Considers its Crew a Vital Contact for Customers"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With spiffs, contests, support, and meetings, the supervisors at 1-800-CONTACTS prioritize the well-being and appreciation of their crews. The training stands out as one of the best for a company in Utah.

You've heard it before, but I'll say it anyway; the cafeteria is amazing! Free beverages throughout the day without a limit -- juices, milk, soda, tea, etc. Free breakfast cereal for early risers, either boxed or hot. And lunches are created by real chefs. Now, they aren't free, but they're a heck of a lot less expensive and better for you than fast food joints.

If you're looking for a company that respects its employees as much as they anticipate in return, this company's for you. But they're not a company that chases "preschoolers" around all day begging its employees to work. You need to be mature and responsible but still enjoy being a single component of a larger workable group.

The way this company functions is through tried and true practices. They don't work as a "puppy mill." When you work here, you can have personal effects on your desk (which a lot of horrible companies disallow). And again, support. Regular meetings with your supervisor, excellent equipment that's in incredible condition, etc.

Need I say I recommend this place of employment above anywhere I've worked, and I'm fifty with a college degree.

Cons

The downside to working at 1-800-CONTACTS? The training and testing is a bit more strenuous than other places, although still fair. Parking is a bit cramped, but there are a lot people working here.

When I quit, it had nothing to do with unfairness. I barely missed a passing grade on the final test. Rather than asking if I could study hard and retake it, I conceded and quit. Bad move. My supervisor could have suggested this answer and saved the company all the money that had gone into my training because I am a hard worker, but he was new to his position. I wish I hadn't left... :(

Advice to Management

When a person gives notice, make sure and understand why they are quitting (if they're a good fit for the company), and consider why. Perhaps you can brainstorm in finding a desirable solution rather than everyone giving up. You could hold onto loyal and hardworking people that way that can last a long, long time.

"Wonderful Workplace, Difficult Development"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work environment, subsidized and tasty cafe, lots of activities, onsite gym, new building

Cons

Software development practices that aren't improving, top heavy, silos everywhere, extremely complex and difficult release process, architecture team is dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Invest in an infrastructure that allows for easier testing and release procedures. Create teams based on their function (Aquisition, Fulfilment, Maintenance), stop using the database as your enterprise bus.

"Somewhere that practices what they preach."

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this company. I have not worked here all that long but have already had the opportunity to branch out and learn and take on new roles/responsibilities. So many companies talk a good game but fail on the follow through. Not here..
    The gym is large, people are awesome. There is a real open door policy towards management. Even those up high in the company. If you want to grow there are opportunities. Sure, the initial entry positions aren't the greatest paying and the most fun in the world, but if you put in the effort, are coachable, and express desire to move up and are a driven, leadership focused team player there isn't much not to love. Also lunches consisting of steak, potatoes, tacos, fish etc for under three bucks and constant events and other fun don't hurt either.

Cons

Initial pay is not great. (Generally 12 bucks an hour before bonuses.)

Advice to Management

Adjust to meet demands of inflation.

"RX specialist"

Pros

Cool environment, The grill and gym is awesome

Cons

Little room to grow. Management is not open to new ideas.