Cover image for 1-800 CONTACTS

1-800 CONTACTS CEO John Graham
John Graham

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of 1-800 CONTACTS and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years
    Featured Review

Customers First, Egos Last

Jul 29, 2022 - Marketing in Draper, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve never worked at a place quite like 1-800 Contacts. Many/most companies talk about customer commitments but consistently compromise things to benefit investors. Not this place. People come to work with a passion for changing vision care for customers. Zero ego, zero hierarchy, zero bureaucracy. We do amazing things together because it’s fun to succeed together. And with companies all around Utah facing declines and layoffs, we’re growing.

Cons

Cash salary sometimes feels slow to catch up to the market, but now everyone has stock options, which is a great benefit.

1 person found this review helpful

People Communications Coordinator

Wow - thank you for leaving such a fantastic review and sharing your experience at our company. We really do some amazing things here, and it's because of our incredible people! Thanks for being a part of the 1-800 Contacts family. :)

2. 5.0

Excellent for remote work

Nov 29, 2022 - Compliance
    Business Outlook

Pros

great teams, cool people, good benefits, decent enough pay for the job

Cons

Not many, it can be difficult to keep up with expectations or to be discouraged by mild mistakes that take away your bonuses.

3. Join the 1-800 CONTACTS team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Nov 28, 2022 - Copywriter
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are amazing. The culture is fun and still allows plenty of room for a healthy work-life balance. It's a dynamic workplace run by smart, efficient people, and the work here is top-notch. I feel valued and excited to be here.

Cons

They offer a 401K match which is awesome, but compared to other companies, the amount matched does seem a bit on the lower side. But their healthcare package is so affordable among everything else they provide that it's hard to feel too upset about.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great Company, Recession Proof, Caring Leadership

Nov 17, 2022 - Director in Draper, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company: continues to innovate on employee benefits. has a great growth mindset, continues to add market share, has promising irons in the fire, and continues to deliver for their customer.

Cons

With just about 1,000 employees there's not a ton of room for advancement at the top, but it makes this up with opportunities for personal growth.

6. 2.0

Diversity Problems

Nov 15, 2022 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

On paper, the company has a lot of positives. There are quite a number of benefits that employees often don't take advantage of. The building and facilities in Draper are very nice.

Cons

Most of the positives are almost completely undone by the total lack of diversity within the company, especially amongst leadership. It's so frustrating because the company could be so much better if this wasn't an issue. To be honest, in any of my previous roles at different companies I didn't think too much about diversity day to day. In fact, I wouldn't even say that I was much of a champion for workplace diversity causes. However, diversity was a constant issue that I thought about every day in my role because I just never quite felt accepted. I always had the impression that if you shared a lot of personal hobbies and had the same religious background as leaders, that you would be much more likely to excel within the company. It always seemed that diversity had a lot of big talk but was backed by very little substance or was totally unsupported by other decisions made by leadership. The company seems very active on this forum so it wouldn't surprise me much if their response to my review contained the customary and trite response that diversity really matters that I heard all too often. If any reader doesn't want to take my word here, I would suggest they look at two things: 1) Glassdoor has structured the site so all company reviews can be searched for reviewers with specific demographics. At the time of the writing, 1-800 Contacts is represented by reviewers who only come from one background in the categories of Race/Ethnicity, Sexual Orientation, and Disability. 2) The company's political action committee spending is all public information. In fact, you can research which senior leaders gave money to which politicians. Besides still supporting the politicians who supported the capitol insurrectionists, the company regularly donates and hosts events on company property to congressmen and a senator who make disparaging, if not downright crude remarks towards a number of diverse communities. In fact, even at 1-800 Contacts, if the remarks by these politicians were made by an employee at the workplace, they would be fired and escorted out of the building with immediate effect. Despite all the swank, it's really hard for me to imagine that the company really cares about the LGBT community, for example, when they give money to elect politicians who want nothing more than to torpedo their civil rights.

People Communications Coordinator

We’re truly sorry to hear this was your experience. We care about our people, and it's important to us they feel seen as an individual and supported in their career goals. Our management team and People Department are always available for conversations. Listening and working together is how we get better. We will continue to solicit feedback and find ways to provide transparency regarding the business and drive open communication. Thank you for taking the time to share feedback.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

People focused

Nov 28, 2022 - Production in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very people focus. Lots of extra perks and decent benefits

Cons

Planning and strategies are not always worked out. Adds a bit of chaos but keeps it interesting.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee

Overall great

Jun 23, 2022 - ACE Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Get to be an agent and customer expert. Support for Agents. Help agents find the best decisions to help the customers. give them advice on options they have to solve problems and find resolutions that make both company and customers happy. Opportunities for development. The company cares about your development and constantly encourages you to learn more about the company, offering internships for other departments (such as quality, sales, compliance (RX) etc. In addition to work development they encourage, other forms of development and even pay tuition up to a certain amount after working for the company for, I believe a year. The Paid time off system is pretty fair compared to most other jobs.

Cons

Ace position kind of takes over the slack from other departments. I do feel like for the pay they take advantage of the ACE associates. (having them take sales calls, and taking away sales from sales agents when its super busy, when hiring more sales agents would be a better option so they can get commission for the sales---ACE agents expected to take those calls without any additional income (when those same hours are offered to sales agents at $5 more an hour + sales commission earned. But ACE doesn't get those perks) Supervisor calls, once in awhile you get a non-so pleasant one . No commission, they used to have it for this position but it was taken away.

People Communications Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're so glad to hear you feel supported within your channel with your career and development goals. And good news, our tuition reimbursement benefit is available to associates who have been employed with us for six months prior to the class start date (so no need to wait a full year). We recognize that every position can have its challenges, and we appreciate your transparency in sharing some of the pain points you have experienced in your role. Our mission as an organization is to pave a better way and the best way to do that is by bringing solutions to the problems you are facing in your role. If you haven't already, we encourage you to reach out to your manager, the senior manager of your channel, business partner, or any member of the People Department to discuss and share these feelings. We will be sure to pass along this feedback to senior leadership within the Customer Department so that we can all learn, grow, and improve together.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Nice

Nov 15, 2022 - Live Chat Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management s great and helpful

Cons

Pay can be low maybe

People Communications Coordinator

Thank you for the 5-star rating. We’re so glad to hear your experience at 1-800 has been a positive one – that’s what we aim for. We really do have some pretty awesome people at our company, including you! Thanks for being part of the 1-800 Contacts team and helping us take care of our customers. Thanks again for the great review!

10. 3.0

A solid C+ company

Sep 20, 2022 - Lab Tech II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy as far as warehouse work goes, coworkers were mostly cool, lenient on attendance, PTO was decent, CEO seems like a good guy, free treats are a plus, the grill is probably the best part of the entire company

Cons

The forced positivity can get old, favoritism and nepotism but no more so than your average company, no room for advancement (CEO referred to it as a "lateral company", where you learn but don't advance), too lenient on attendance at times, lack of accountability, either micromanaged or given no direction at all, warehouse is actively mocked by corporate employees, department cliques (to be expected), lack of a real training process for any position in any department

2 people found this review helpful

People Communications Coordinator

We appreciate the candid feedback and will make sure it’s shared with the right people. We strongly believe in our core values – Tenacious, Big-hearted, Unconventional, and Better together – and that they are central to our individual and collective success. COVID certainly presented challenges, and we’ve seen an increase in mental health requests. Our associates’ well-being continues to come first. Attendance has been inconsistent as a result, and we aren't always able to share details due to privacy. We have done our best to balance all needs and continue to improve while recognizing we aren't perfect. We are always open to specific suggestions. If you didn't address this in your exit interview, please feel free to reach out to us (people@1800contacts.com). We are excited about our future and growth at all our campuses, including Salt Lake. We currently have over 25 advancement positions posted and plan to add several specific to the supply chain in 2023. We encourage any of our associates who are interested in career development and internal development opportunities to work with their manager and business partner to explore resources and tools available to them. Thank you again for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

11. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Nov 8, 2022 - Prescription Benefits Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cheap meals, culture, cheap contacts.

Cons

Pay scale should be reevaluated. More in benefits less in salary.

People Communications Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed working at 1-800 Contacts and took advantage of the great benefits (and perks) we provide for our associates. While we feel confident our pay and benefits package are competitive, we would be more than happy to pass along your comments to our compensation and benefits team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 427 Reviews
</>Embed

1-800 CONTACTS Reviews FAQs

1-800 CONTACTS has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 435 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at 1-800 CONTACTS to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, 1-800 CONTACTS employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at 1-800 CONTACTS. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

79% of 1-800 CONTACTS employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated 1-800 CONTACTS 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at 1-800 CONTACTS to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with 1-800 CONTACTS Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at 1-800 CONTACTS? Share Your Experiences

1-800 CONTACTS Careers

Cover image for 1-800 CONTACTS

Collectively, we’re a bunch of smart, hard-working people who like to look out for each other and our customers. We’re really driven by the...More

• Benefits
  • Community
  • Associate Comments

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

8 days ago

Culture
Making sure our people are well taken care of is central to who we are. This week, Chef Tom and the 20/20 Grille team spent time being Big-hearted by prepping traditional Thanksgiving dinners, so our associates could choose to work a bit less and relax a bit more for the holiday. Each dinner was prepped, cooled, and ready to reheat, so the only stress this Thanksgiving will be pre-heating the oven. Executive Chef Tom, who oversees this highly anticipated 5-course meal, shared: "Back in 2020, our team was looking for new ways to reach our associates. Life was hard back then. People didn’t like going to stores, and a lot of associates didn’t travel to see family. We thought the perfect way to help would be to make a menu of Thanksgiving staples they could order to make things a little easier. We offered roasted turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roasted vegetables, and mac and cheese. I’m sure Thanksgiving meals will continue to be offered to our beloved associates for years to come.” However you choose to celebrate, we wish everyone a safe and happy holiday weekend!
Shared image

13 days ago

Diversity and Inclusion
Earlier this fall, several of our associates had the opportunity to attend the 15th Annual Women Tech Awards. This inspiring event, hosted by the Women Tech Council at Grand America, celebrated the incredible women in our technology community and the numerous ways they are driving innovation and creating positive impact. Shout-out to the many winners on all their hard work and achievements. Amanda Packer, one of our Product Management Interns for our Hello Eyes team who attended the event, shared: “Attending the Women Tech Awards in September was one of the most inspiring nights I have had in a long time. To see these women with families and busy lives working so hard to improve the lives of others in their unique ways gave me such hope as well as a drive to be better in my own life.” #1800contacts #lifeat1800contacts #womentechcouncil #technology #development #bettertogether #tenacious #throwbackthursday
Shared image

1-800 CONTACTS Photos

+ Add Photo
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: Nothing says "summer" quite like our volleyball tournament! :) #lifeat1800contacts
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: May is Mental Health Awareness Month! Together, we can help break the stigma around this important topic.
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: We were thrilled to sponsor our associates at Ragnar Road So Cal this year! #lifeat1800contacts
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: Happy Administrative Professionals Day! We’re so grateful to have these incredible women on our team! #lifeat1800contacts
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: Shout-out to our December Acclaim winners, David, Alexander, Don, and Yessy!
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: Shout-out to our recent Acclaim winners, Teri, Harry, Meagan, and Jason! #lifeat1800contacts #recognitionprogram
1-800 CONTACTS photo of: Happy National Coming Out Day! #utahprideroadrally #lifeat1800contacts

Expert Career Advice

Overstock.com

3.2

1,067 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 435 1-800 CONTACTS reviews submitted anonymously by 1-800 CONTACTS employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if 1-800 CONTACTS is right for you.