KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

1-800 CONTACTS

Engaged Employer

1-800 CONTACTS

Add a Review

1-800 CONTACTS Employee Reviews about "bonus structure"

Updated Sep 24, 2018

Found 7 of over 349 reviews

4.2
1-800 CONTACTS CEO John Graham
John Graham
Pros
  • "We have great benefits and amenities(in 26 reviews)

• "We work hard while here so we can maintain a great work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "They wait until the end weeks of training to let you know that they have a bonus structure for only top performers and you can earn up to(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management not very open to new ideas or suggestions from lower level employees(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of 1-800 CONTACTS and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "bonus structure"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Customer Service Represetative

Sep 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of company perks. Lots of parties and fun events.

Cons

Pay is bare minimum. The bonus structure is a joke.

9 people found this review helpful

Director, People Operations

Thanks for the feedback. We'd encourage you to chat with the Director of the sales/service channel about the bonus structure. Maybe there's a better structure you've thought of that we haven't We are definitely open to hear it.

2. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

How to use lies and manipulation to trick your employees 101

May 3, 2018 - Sales Representative in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Note: All of these pro's are also cons. Nothing here is given without ulterior motive. They will suck you in with talks of commission, free gym, discounted chef meals, great company events, discounts on the company product, agent empowerment which is basically giving you the ability to be in control while on the phones. They love to boast about what a great positive attitude the company has, how everyone here is friends, and how many people have found their spouses here which really does appeal to the young 20 year old LDS demographic they target in hiring. I honestly believe the CEO is a borderline genius-- but you will see why I think this in the cons section.

Cons

Let's break down why this company offers the perks they do and how it benefits the company and, ultimately, robs you of your livelihood. Free Gym, discounted meals- These are great perks at first- until you realize that a limited amount of the meals are discounted and then the price goes up. They fail to mention this and so you find yourself paying way more than anticipated. Not to mention all purchases are just deducted from your paycheck, that way they can give you 'discounted food' and also pay you less. In addition I betcha if you looked at their overhead of how much these meals actually cost, they are not losing any money by doing this. Gym? It's about dependency. Why would you want to leave a company if you have to go buy a gym membership, too? It is a cheap way to keep you from leaving. Commission--it's a lie. You don't get commission, period. They wait until the end weeks of training to let you know that they have a bonus structure for only top performers and you can earn up to $3 extra an hour if you hit these metrics. Crunch the numbers and you will find if they even gave you 1% commission on every sale (no company gives only 1%), you would make way more money. The bonus structure is designed to make you work harder for less but still feel like you are being paid fairly. Very, very, very smart. Agent empowerment- they talk about how you have the power to give discounts and such to customers at your own discretion. It's totally true. But the purpose of this is quite sinister- it is to make you feel as though you have control and a real stake in the company. If we are actually empowered, why is there no option to own a legitimate share of the company? Because that would be far too expensive. It is easier to let you give $20 discounts to customers and give you the delusion that you are somehow responsible for if someone buys a product or not. Factor in the money they are saving by not giving you real commission and they have a cushy overhead to give you this 'empowerment'. Dependency- the culture of this company, and you will hear them talk about it a lot, is to identify people pleasers and those with co-dependency tendencies. The perks are offered of low cost to the company and perceived as high value to the employees even though they are not. The activities the company puts on are emphasized because they would actually love if your only friends and your spouse were within the company- it makes it harder to leave the company. The fact that you were hand picked by the company is not actually a complement- they profile people using a psychological assessment and only hire the most agreeable people. Anyone who they believe may speak out and ask questions is eliminated, which is why their training classes are full of young kids who don't know anything. I originally thought they were ageist, but now I think it's more about the idea that young people will be easier to control. Their culture of positive attitude is actually just active thought suppression. You cannot disagree with people here or challenge higher ups. You cannot even vent or admit if you are having a bad day. It is a carefully crafted illusion to make you believe everyone else here is happy, so why aren't you? Majority of employees are just putting on a fake face due to inability to be honest. It is true psychological warfare. Don't forget that upon hiring, there is no promised time off. You earn 15 minutes every 40 hours you work and they rely on this ridiculous point system that basically if you have an unexpected sick day you are the person who is penalized. So if you ever need time off that is not 3 weeks in advanced, forget about it. They want old dedicated workerbees to whom work is their main concern. The CEO manages to make a profit by exploiting employees in the ways listed above in conjunction with a long list of SLAPP lawsuits where their main goal is to bankrupt their competitors. That's what the floor of legal team is for. With these two money making strategies, of course they can afford to give their customers discounts....all on your back!

18 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Disgruntled but still relatively happy?

Jul 31, 2016 - Compliance Associate in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is better than any I've worked for. I've been here for a bit over a year now. The benefits like cheap/free food, on site gym, company activities, etc is great. They start you at a decent wage. The managers in compliance are fantastic and want to make sure you're happy working there. The work is relatively easy, if not a bit dull.

Cons

You don't see much compensation for hard work, especially if you're part time. The new bonus structure awards quantity over quality. I work part time and on numerous projects outside the regular work which takes away from my bonus. However, when I work on the areas where we bonus I process more items at a faster rate than most agents per hour and my quality is usually pretty high every month. However, because we bonus based on how many items processed total the entire month (not per hour or such), as a part time agent my bonus really suffers. I also receive no compensation for all the projects I do. There is little movement in the company as well unless you're in the 'boy's club' like others have said. Scheduling is also a hassle. I joined the company under the impression that they had flexible scheduling for college students like myself. Unfortunately, every time I've submitted a schedule change I've had to fight them on it because they won't approve it, and typically I have to get my manager involved to get it approved. I feel that entry level agents such as myself aren't considered important in the company at all and know many others who feel this way. There is a real disconnect between agents such as myself and the '5th floor' guys. Lastly, there is a lot of gossip which I personally find very unprofessional. Though this company is better than any I've worked for, it doesn't mean they don't have plenty of room for improvement.

5 people found this review helpful

Senior Manager, People Operations

This is great feedback. Hopefully we can shed some light on why these changes were implemented. The newly introduced bonus structure was designed to be as fair and simple as possible. While it is true that time spent on “special projects” does not apply to the bonus, those “special projects” are outside of the work the associate was hired to do. Additionally, special projects are never assigned. They are volunteered for which allows agents the opportunity to choose which is more important to them; maximizing their monthly incentive (bonus) or time off the queues to work on side/special projects. Work schedule flexibility is something that we believe is a key differentiator for 1-800 contacts. There is no shift bidding. When new associates are hired we let them know the general hours we are looking for (mornings, afternoons or evenings) and our workforce department works with each associate to create a unique schedule for them. We do not generate schedules based on call volumes, or work volumes in the case of compliance, and then assign people shifts. We have over 400 unique shifts because every associate’s shift is what works for them and for the company. Not all schedule changes get immediately approved or approved exactly as submitted. We approve over 60% of schedule change requests without alteration. Over 90% get approved after additional discussion in order to meet both the associate and the business needs. Additionally, agents can request schedule changes at any time.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

What to really expect

Mar 15, 2016 - Compliance in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discounted meals are good and there are always free drinks and snacks. Onsite gym is good.

Cons

Training is way too short and you will not really know what you are doing to start. You are expected to work at a very fast rate. Bonus structure is terrible and it is very hard to qualify. You are constantly being audited and marked down for the most subjective nonsense. Turnover is terrible which should tell you that the compensation is not good enough for how miserable the job is. Look at the patterns and you will see that this companies ratings are always going down and that should tell you something

5 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Company is not what it appears

Sep 16, 2015 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

the benefits of a free gym, and the cafe are really good, and cheap contacts

Cons

The company says it treats employees differently and care about customer experience, but they only care about sales. You are held to unrealistic standards for sales, and forced to lie to customers by sneaking in solution. Also the bonus structure that they promote is a lie, I have been there for a year and have yet to bonus, you have to get a perfect quality(which they can dock you for being to happy or whatever they feel like), a huge rpc which is impossible cuz they count prank calls and service calls which are huge against you. Also I have tried to get into several different departments, while my friend in training who was related to someone that was high up had no qualifications and worse score than me got the job when there wasn't even an opening!!

9 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Call Center

We believe that it is beneficial for a company to occasionally (and briefly) respond to a Glassdoor post which might represent an organization or a department. We are pleased to report that 60% of the associates in this department bonus monthly, and in August 2015 only 7% of our associates were below minimal statistical expectations. This would illustrate that our standards are achievable and that bonuses do pay! Also, the relationship we have with our customers is vital and we would never coach an associate to do anything that might harm or compromise that relationship.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Going down hill

Oct 21, 2014 - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Less Pro's all the time but work life balance was good but it had gone down in recent years. They do through a good party.

Cons

No focus on the employee. Recent changes in benefits and bonus structure resulted in around 20% pay-cut part of this is more expensive insurance but not all of it. They treat there full time professionals like they are call center employees (in some ways even worse) They no longer look for employee input to solve problems it is all done by executive committees. Poor technology choices make career advancement impossible. !-800 no longer uses main stream technology which makes working for them a 'career ending move'

7 people found this review helpful

Director of Software Engineering

I agree that things have changed. All businesses change over time. Changes come because of new ownership or changes in strategy. Change is not bad it provides opportunity for growth and challenges. What hasn’t changed at 1-800 Contacts is our core values of taking care of our customers and employees. 1-800 Contacts cares about their professional employees and encourages them to share ideas and help the business grow. 1-800 Contacts believes strongly in mentoring employees and helping them be successful in their careers. One of the things I enjoy most about working here is that I am continually challenged to grow and improve, and then I have managers or other mentors who help me obtain that growth.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work, but behind on compensation

Mar 13, 2012 - Software Developer in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Subsidized meals On site gym with personal trainers Excellent team members as management is picky about who they hire Regular Team building Yearly training budget They consider new technologies and do use them if they make sense

Cons

Management has stated that they are amazed by how much work we get done, but then we are paid as if we are average. No bonus structure. You start out with only 10 days PTO, 6 holidays, and 3-4 sickdays. This is really low compaired to other software shops. Raises are done annually and don't recognize that you might be under payed for what you do for the company and your experience. HR is focused towards being great for the call center agents and is missing the picture for the entire IT group. Managers don't have enough power over HR

7 people found this review helpful