1&1 Internet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
1&1 Internet CEO Robert Hoffmann
Robert Hoffmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Lots of time off, good work-life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Laid-back yet professional work environment" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "No advertisements in US so no one knows who we are" (in 6 reviews)

• "Absolutely no room to move up in this company" (in 4 reviews)

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Retention in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Retention in Wayne, PA

I have been working at 1&1 Internet part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. No real negatives.

Cons

Its like every other company.

2. "Solid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, good people, friendly environment.

Cons

Big picture might be shaky. Lots of downsizing & restructuring.

3. "Great job to learn different technologies"

Pros

Access to work with all types of server technologies, networking, web hosting. Great environment to learn. For me I took it as a boot camp for learn and apply my skills

Cons

Low payoff for the amount of work, long hour for some shifts. Some pears were very egotistical rather than be open and collaborative. Not much room to advance

Advice to Management

Recognize talent, work life balance is important, have structured training for new hires rather than throwing them to the sharks

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - MyWebsite Agent in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - MyWebsite Agent in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In office events, catered food for special occasions. Thats about it. They throw food at you to hide the fact that everything else is so awful.

Cons

Under qualified and unprofessional first level agents. Promotions given based on who is friends with whom instead of qualifications. People with masters degrees and bachelors are overlooked while a hairdresser with no experience is promoted to management. Everyone sleeps with everyone else and its more like high school than anything else. Micromanagement at its finest.

Advice to Management

High school is over. Hire qualified people who know what professionalism is and stop trying to be friends with everyone else.

"Good place"

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

Good health benefits, friendly environment, good vacation and sick time

Cons

Not enough people to do the amount of work expected.

"Good Call Center to Work at"

I have been working at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

Holidays, vacation, sick time and benefits are good. Free drinks and fruit, like all the reviews say. 2 parties (with free drinks) year. Recent changes in upper management (new CEO and Ops/CC) have made a gigantic difference in our managers. (For the better.) German management are have monthly all hands meetings and trying to communicate. Compared with other call centers, relaxed and friendlier.

Cons

Pay is lower. Changes happen all the time. No advertisements in US so no one knows who we are. I don't understand how 1&1 can grow here if we don't have US marketing. Keep promising "career model" but never happens for years.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you're doing and do it. Stop making big changes every 3 months. Also don't tell us something is changing (good OR bad) and then not do it. Stop the double standard: follow through seems to be expected for us, but Germany can change their mind all the time and ditch projects without communicating. Increase transparency.

"It's a job."

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

Consistent and reliable paycheck, great holiday pay structure too. Reliable schedule, and decent facilities.

Cons

They simply don't care. Job duties increase without pay, bonus structure changes without notice, and abusive management without high school diplomas run rampant without supervision. Very forceful tactics that toe the border of unethically sleazy to uneducated customers.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

"Get rid of the bad apples"

I have been working at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun work environment with free coffee and snacks. 8 hours paid including lunch. New board leadership pushing in right direction.

Cons

Read other reviews below, but something has been missing: toxic coworkers need to go. If you come into work and are miserable and complain throughout the day, do yourself and everyone else a favor and leave. The problem is that many of these people wouldn't last at another company and they're too lazy to go. Its management's responsibility to weed them out.

Advice to Management

Fire the bad apples who are as much of a negative impact to morale as anything else. HR stop being afraid to terminate for fear of a lawsuit.

"Still incompetent, still making every wrong decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Fruit and Coffee,
    Good entry level jobs to train you for a real job at a real company.

Cons

Upper management is still making every wrong decision at every opportunity. If you're in upper management it doesn't matter how much you mess up, how incompetent you are or how racist you are, you aren't getting fired. Although, if you're on the floor dealing with customers, then you'll get fired for any number of reasons that may even be outside of your control.

We have a history of incidents where clear racist comments have been said and somehow none if these incidents ever ended up in that employee getting fired. The specific comments can't even be added to this form because Glassdoor requires me to "remove the bad language".

It's absolutely unacceptable to use in appropriate terms to describe someone when you have an employee under you with special needs. This level of protectionism destroys any credibility of the company while these managers are still employed.

Our new COO has started pushing for ePNS and is trying to make employees happier here however managers in the US are paid bonuses based on these eNPS scores. This means that they manipulate the numbers however they can to get better numbers without actually trying to do anything to improve the workplace. Either the COO is stupid or they haven't learned about our culture of manipulating numbers at this company.

Advice to Management

Fire the incompetent leadership within the US office and promote or hire external candidates which are capable of some type of professionalism.

"Unintentionally ironic. A bundle of apparent contradictions"

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

Free beverages while at work.

Cons

See the following previous reviews on here as well.
    Apr 17, 2017
    "Appalling"

and
    Jul 21, 2016
    "Where well intentioned and hard working people come to rot and die"

1&1 is an internet company providing web hosting services.

That sort of implies it would be on the cutting edge of technology and internet culture.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

1&1 offers its employees and its customers out of date technology and culture.

This is a subsidiary of a German conglomerate run entirely from Europe offering non competitive wages and very little opportunity for advancement with both technology and a business philosophy that are more than twenty years out of date just trying to squeeze out as much as possible, with putting in as little as possible, for as long as possible. Change comes as slow as a snail's pace and only when apparently absolutely forced to. No evidence of any proactive approach whatsoever. One gains and takes away almost no marketable skills and over the years more employees have quit than remain employed.

How it survives makes no sense whatsoever. The only explanation is incredible beyond belief ignorance on the part of customers and employees.

Advice to Management

Run the American part of the company entirely from America or just shut it down entirely and outsource it to an outside company.