1105 Media Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Director

4.9
1105 Media CEO Rajeev Kapur
Rajeev Kapur

Pros
  • That allows quick decision making which promotes a fun, spirited work environment with rapid change, and organic growth (in 6 reviews)

• Schedule is flexible and they offer generous PTO (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a total mess with constant cycling through initiatives, restructuring, etc (in 9 reviews)

• The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector (in 9 reviews)

"Entrepreneurial spirit, fast passed, great people, lots of flexibility, room for growth, and job security!"

Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company that allows a tremendous amount of flexibility to align its employees the best career path and jobs within the organization's business units that will optimize those people’s talents for a win-win situation.

Great people. Excellent holiday and PTO. Company provides all of Thanksgiving and Christmas week's off WITH PAY. Company is not just owned by very reputable VCs but also some of the executive management employees.

Consensus oriented decision making process, to allow for the best decisions to be made for the overall health and direction of the company.

Great products that are competitive in the print, online, events, and research - media landscape.

Phenomenal tenure with the employees. Most of the employees have been with the company since before the 1105 Media acquisition in 2006. On average the tenure is over 5 years! Twice that of the national average. People are here because they like it, despite what the sour grapes say.

Each business unit is given a lot of slack to run that division as its own business. That allows quick decision making which promotes a fun, spirited work environment with rapid change, and organic growth.

Company is profitable, and continues to acquire strategically relevant media properties.

Great locations across the US. Flexibility to work from a home office.

Decent health, dental, vision benefits.

Snack, candy, drinks, coffee, etc. provided at each office location.

Company allows early leave before holidays like Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc...

Free parking at all the offices.

Excellent technology provided so every employee could do their jobs well. We seldom have any technology issues that cause down time. Our technology team is tethered 24/7 to ensure ZERO DOWN TIME with our productivity, product releases, and business health.

Look, it's a great company and I can go on and on...But I speak first hand having been at the company for almost 10 years, then leaving to pursue other interests, and then being asked to come back and work in a different business unit, and I'm glad I did. I am happier than I've been as far back as I can remember.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons I left was due to the failure of the business unit I was in. Each business unit head is tasked with being the steward of their division. If they are incompetent and make the wrong business decisions, the whole business unit suffers as a result, and ultimately the company. I left for that reason, and kudos to the executive management team for being so patient and forgiving to allow that business unit leader to try and make the best of things. Ultimately, the executive management team has to make a decision for the survival of the business unit, and how it impacts the company as a whole, so change will be imposed.

1105 Media is a great place to work weather you are an intern, or an executive seeking to join a company who is carving a new path in the media business, and anyone in between.

Great company, great people, job security, competitive products, great place to work.

Cons

We are nimble, so most people do the work of more than just themselves. But you get out of your work what you put into it.

Benefits could be better, but we have a profitable company and everyone is employed.

Employees will sometimes get lost in the noise and not feel appreciated.

I don't think you'll see any negative things that are atypical to 1105 Media. The challenges you'll see are typical in most if not all companies, but that's offset by all the great things the company stands for and does.

Advice to Management

Management should do a better job praising individuals and their contribution. That will provide a better perception that they know the effort each of us puts in, and they are not "ruling from the ivory tower", as some have said.

Be more rapid in cutting off the cancer when it's realized and implement corrective action before the damage goes too deep.

"I have worked for 1105 Media for the past seven years - The experience has been personally and professionally rewarding."

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

Pros

In our education group we are doing industry leading custom projects with our clients - It's very impressive. Plus our lead generation capabilities are so well received by our customers and subscribers. I'm very proud of 1105 Media's position in the educational technology community.
    This is a very sound enrironment to learn and grow.

Cons

Our work environment is fast paced & exciting - But like so many companies - We can always use more staff to support our growth. We need more good people to achieve our aggressive outcomes.

Advice to Management

I feel very well treated. But in business today we have a responsibility to mentor and train our younger colleagues. Being a good corporate citizen means being ever mindful to this responsibility.

3. "Nice place to be."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

Professional
    Flexible with PTO
    Generous with Holidays
    Understanding of employee personal issues
    Tries to do what is right for the employee, even in very tough times
    2009 was very difficult in media, and even though we all took a pay cut the only alternative were layoffs and they didn't have any. Everyone from CEO to those making over 45K trook a cut and sacrificed for others

Cons

Tough market in media which puts a serious demand on staff.
    Everyone is doing 1.75 jobs to make things work.

Advice to Management

Keep minding the store with your financial discipline. While it might be unpopular our doors are still open and you are one of the strongest players in B2B media.