1105 Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
1105 Media CEO Rajeev Kapur
Rajeev Kapur

Pros
  • That allows quick decision making which promotes a fun, spirited work environment with rapid change, and organic growth (in 6 reviews)

• Great PTO program, 401K match, flexible work environment, amazing and competent co-workers, this is a great place to be (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a total mess with constant cycling through initiatives, restructuring, etc (in 9 reviews)

• The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector (in 9 reviews)

"Good not Great?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I overall really enjoyed my time at 1105 and everyone I worked with were great, except one terrible manager who was finally canned after her superior left and she didn't have him protecting her anymore. Once she was gone we had nice freedom to get our work done, telecommute, and low stress. Decent benefits and nice amount of time off.

Cons

Very little room for advancement or pay increase, the company seems pretty stagnant or going down in certain areas, because media is a tough area to be these days. I was laid off but my position was terribly necessary, leaving my coworkers even more buried. Money, lender, and budget mismanagement. The group I was in was kicking butt and revenue increasing but still had layoffs.

Advice to Management

It seems the CEO and management mean well but bonuses and profit sharing and pay increases should be something to give the dedicated employees.

2. "One of the worst companies and corporate culture I've ever worked at"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Springfield, VA

Pros

Senior Managements philosophy (prior to the new better CEO) was everyone is expendable. Mission statement, Vision, Culture, Values = all "everyone is expendable". I left on great terms so this isn't an angry review but the culture was horid. Those are the pros.

Cons

Censored from the internet. My opinion reflects probably 75% of the staff. The few that will say positive things are the senior managers

Advice to Management

Leave and hire new management

3. "Good bosses in DC"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Vienna, VA

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best journalism job I ever had -- none of the soul-crushing grind of content mills. You get time to actually learn your beats and develop sources.

For writers in the DC office (covering the publications FCW, GCN, Washington Technology), the job is very family friendly and flexible. Generous PTO, option to telework whenever you don't have a meeting or event to get to.

My editors were also very supportive and helpful; the topic areas seem difficult to get your head around, but the editors guide you patiently as you get your feet wet. Not a high-stress newsroom.

Cons

Middling compensation. You can only get a raise if you have a competing offer (which isn't hard to get, because competitors love to poach good workers from 1105).

Advice to Management

Offer regular raises, even if they're small, to show employees you value them.

"Better Management needed"

Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits including Holidays, PTO and 401K.

Cons

Management in local office was run by a bully which eventually brought the ruination of the brand.

Advice to Management

Stay in communication with your satellite offices and really know what is going on.

6. "Terrific team in DC Area"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at 1105 Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

1105's Public Sector Media Group produces several highly respected publications covering government technology, and puts on substantive and high-quality events.

Great opportunities, particularly for early- and mid-career reporters and editors, to learn their beats in depth and develop real government and IT expertise.

Collaborative and supportive colleagues, and a very flexible work environment. What matters is working hard and producing, not exactly when or where you're getting it done.

Cons

The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector. (This can be both a good and bad thing!)

Lots of churn at the top executive levels over the last couple years. The new CEO seems to get it, though, and has been working hard to correct some of the short-sighted moves the former CEO made.

Staff is stretched thin. It's a great group of colleagues, but virtually everyone has a little too much on their plate.

Advice to Management

Stick with Rajeev's talent-and-growth focus. 1105 had some rough spots a few years back, but -- in public sector, at least -- the team that worked through those challenges is doing some great things. They just need the space and continued support to keep doing them!

"Reasonable Work Load"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offers good work/life balance by allowing for flex time and work-from-home opportunities. It's possible to only work 40 hours per week at an 1105 Media role, which is increasingly rare in today's job market.

Cons

Lower-than-average pay for the area, although the reasonable work load and flex time makes the smaller salary justified. Company pays less of the monthly medical insurance than previous places I've worked.

Advice to Management

Thanks for re-starting the monthly matching for the 401(k)!

"Things are definitely looking up!"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Last Christmas we got a new CEO. Now I was skeptical and so were others not because of him, but because of past leadership. All I can say is that the past 8 months have been so much better. He's delivered on everything that he's promised. He listens, helps and you can see that he really cares about the success of everyone. Communication has improved and the overall morale is much better. I certainly hope this continues. For me personally I like my job and the balance it allows me to have with my family.

Cons

Pay is still an issue but we did get our 401K back and healthcare costs with the exception of this coming year are a challenge. Even here I have faith that this will be addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I love the new website. Keep asking for employee ideas and to Rajeev don't stop doing what you are doing.

"Great Things Are Coming!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midway Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midway Park, NC

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO is making great strides for positive changes within the next year. Great PTO program, 401K match, flexible work environment, amazing and competent co-workers, this is a great place to be!

Cons

The company has had a less than perfect reputation for the last few years which makes it difficult for certain aspects of the company to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep communication lines open and value employee's opinions. You've recently begun doing this and employee morale is already on the rise!

"Perhpas the worst run company, ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Falls Church, VA

Pros

PTO is first rate. Ability to work from home regularly or when needed.

Cons

Turnover is rampant and at all levels in the company. Senior level turnover, mid-level management turnover, worker bee burnout and turnover. Senior managers knowingly deceive and lie to employees and clients and think nothing of it.

Stay away.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving advice to management, they do what they want without regard to thought, plan, principle or common sense.

"1105 Media"

Former Employee - Editorial in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Vienna, VA

Pros

Excellent PTO, including a week for Thanksgiving and Christmas each. Flexible workplace with plenty of telework options. Casual office with soft drinks and snacks. Nice, newer office space now metro-accessible. Talented and mostly friendly coworkers.

Cons

Low salaries and benefits are mediocre. Upper management is a total mess with constant cycling through initiatives, restructuring, etc. Management keeps lower levels in the dark about a lot of what's going on, although they did try to alleviate that with regular meetings updating employees on market and company happenings. High rate of turnover. Not a whole lot of potential for upward movement within the company.Staff often spread way too thin.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep your talent onboard, starting with better salaries and benefits.