1105 Media Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
1105 Media CEO Rajeev Kapur
Rajeev Kapur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Offers good work/life balance by allowing for flex time and work-from-home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Ability to have work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a total mess with constant cycling through initiatives, restructuring, etc (in 9 reviews)

• The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector (in 9 reviews)

1. "Tough market but good changes"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recent leadership changes in my group are good. Good communication. New leadership is listening and is doing its best in a tough market. Feel like upper management is really listening to our needs and what we need to be successful. Quarterly recognition events are good to learn what’s happening in the rest of the business.

Cons

It’s a tough market. Upward mobility is limited but it’s a good job. We have some whiners who recently left which is good but replacing them will take awhile. No formal review process.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to improve the culture by asking us the rank and file what to do. Don’t make decisions in a vacuum. Will be nice to have a review.

2. "Integrated media specialist"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who work very hard and take pride in their work. Pays well when you do well.

Cons

Management is terrible. No investment in staff or product development. No support

Advice to Management

Invest in your products and your people or sell the products. Recognize committed employees and reward multi-job hard working staff.

3. "Your work appreciated by immediate mangers, maybe not so much by senior management"

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with the staff. The editors of the magazines are knowledgeable, professional, and lead by example. I would recommend the editorial staff positions to those starting a career.

Cons

Same as others have stated, *Executive Leadership lacks direction & consistency
    *Lack of support from HQ on other side of country
    *Bare bones staff
    *Little room for advancement

4. "Company keeps switching gears, but nothing seems to stick."

I have been working at 1105 Media (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Down to earth & friendly staff

Cons

*Executive Leadership lacks direction & consistency
    *Does not appear financially sound
    *Low Salaries
    *Lack of support from HQ on other side of country
    *Bare bones staff
    *Little room for advancement
    *Company seems to be always chasing it's tail

Advice to Management

Hire someone to book speakers

"Many Benefits...many cons"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great PTO accrual, excellent holiday schedule, flexible hours, good work/life balance

Cons

No formal review process, not a lot of respect for people's job functions

Advice to Management

Implement a better review process, reward people's work

"Project Coordinator"

Pros

A lot of paid time off

Cons

No formal review process. Have not received a raise in 2 years with the company. No coaching for forward advancement.

Advice to Management

Develop a proper performance management system.

"Great People, but the Pay Is a Bit Low"

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at 1105 are fantastic. Many have been with the company for a decade or more. There is an immense amount of talent, particularly on the editorial side with the publications and websites. The company extremely flexible about work hours and locations. Some of the people there are truly exceptional.

Cons

The pay is below average for editors and people in the custom content end of the business. Insurance is very expensive for people living outside California, where the company is headquartered. The company is widely distributed geographically, with a lot of people working at home. That's nice on one hand, but it also leads to a severe lack of communication at times. There's little sense of teamwork, although if you like being left alone to do your work, you'll enjoy that element of the experience. The company tends to struggle financially, but that's par for the course in publishing these days. The staff is exceptionally lean, which is good for job security but also means that one employee might do what two or three would normally do in another company. Once you're in, there's not a lot of chance to move upward, but there's also no pressure to move upward.

Advice to Management

Try to find a way to compensate employees better, and make more of an effort to bring people together. You're fortunate to have retained so much exceptional talent to this point.

"Good not Great?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I overall really enjoyed my time at 1105 and everyone I worked with were great, except one terrible manager who was finally canned after her superior left and she didn't have him protecting her anymore. Once she was gone we had nice freedom to get our work done, telecommute, and low stress. Decent benefits and nice amount of time off.

Cons

Very little room for advancement or pay increase, the company seems pretty stagnant or going down in certain areas, because media is a tough area to be these days. I was laid off but my position was terribly necessary, leaving my coworkers even more buried. Money, lender, and budget mismanagement. The group I was in was kicking butt and revenue increasing but still had layoffs.

Advice to Management

It seems the CEO and management mean well but bonuses and profit sharing and pay increases should be something to give the dedicated employees.

9. "Good definition of a company and CEO that does what it says"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the recognition programs, liberal time off policies, constant communication and personal touch from our CEO. They try every year to make the health benefits more attractive and less costly. Our CEO Rajeev you can tell is pushing change even when some of the group President's it looks like struggle with that.

Cons

As mentioned the health care costs are a bit expensive. Upward mobility can be a challenge since it's a small company. Tough industry.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on change, we employees talk and do believe in what management is trying to do. Go out of your way to ask the rank and file for ideas.

10. "PTO is good."

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

PTO is good. Not micro managed. CEO is a cool guy. O and did I mention that PTO is good?

Cons

No thorough training what so ever. Your first week they make you watch videos and have people from other states of the company call and tell you what some info. If you're not already in this type of business it's hard to grasp what it is exactly you do at first. Upper management don't manage. You're left alone in your cubical. No communication. You could literally sit at your desk all day and do nothing and no one would ask. Pay is OK. Upper management lies to your face about pay and screws up commission. Did a huge lay off in December because they couldn't meet revenue goals. Not a stable company in a very competitive industry and 1105 media is newer to.

Advice to Management

Better training. Uncapped commissions. More incentives and more excitement! Very boring.