1105 Media Reviews | Glassdoor

1105 Media Reviews

Updated October 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Offers good work/life balance by allowing for flex time and work-from-home opportunities (in 4 reviews)

• Ability to have work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is a total mess with constant cycling through initiatives, restructuring, etc (in 9 reviews)

• The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector (in 9 reviews)

1. "Sr. Manager, Marketing"

I worked at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Learning and Opportunity abound! The people I worked with at 1105 Media were some of the best I ever worked with. I learned so much from them and many of them I consider mentors for years to come.

Cons

Not all the higher-ups are in-tune with how much some of their workers were doing. So many people need to be recognized for the great work they do at the company but unfortunately a real "office politics" attitude tends to control acknowledgement.

Advice to Management

Commit to culture change.

2. "Good bosses in DC"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in Vienna, VA

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best journalism job I ever had -- none of the soul-crushing grind of content mills. You get time to actually learn your beats and develop sources.

For writers in the DC office (covering the publications FCW, GCN, Washington Technology), the job is very family friendly and flexible. Generous PTO, option to telework whenever you don't have a meeting or event to get to.

My editors were also very supportive and helpful; the topic areas seem difficult to get your head around, but the editors guide you patiently as you get your feet wet. Not a high-stress newsroom.

Cons

Middling compensation. You can only get a raise if you have a competing offer (which isn't hard to get, because competitors love to poach good workers from 1105).

Advice to Management

Offer regular raises, even if they're small, to show employees you value them.

"Better Management needed"

Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits including Holidays, PTO and 401K.

Cons

Management in local office was run by a bully which eventually brought the ruination of the brand.

Advice to Management

Stay in communication with your satellite offices and really know what is going on.

4. "Terrific team in DC Area"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at 1105 Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

1105's Public Sector Media Group produces several highly respected publications covering government technology, and puts on substantive and high-quality events.

Great opportunities, particularly for early- and mid-career reporters and editors, to learn their beats in depth and develop real government and IT expertise.

Collaborative and supportive colleagues, and a very flexible work environment. What matters is working hard and producing, not exactly when or where you're getting it done.

Cons

The parent company is based in California, and often focuses on other business units that public-sector. (This can be both a good and bad thing!)

Lots of churn at the top executive levels over the last couple years. The new CEO seems to get it, though, and has been working hard to correct some of the short-sighted moves the former CEO made.

Staff is stretched thin. It's a great group of colleagues, but virtually everyone has a little too much on their plate.

Advice to Management

Stick with Rajeev's talent-and-growth focus. 1105 had some rough spots a few years back, but -- in public sector, at least -- the team that worked through those challenges is doing some great things. They just need the space and continued support to keep doing them!

"Could Be A Much Better Company"

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Generous PTO and telecommuting options. Ability to have work/life balance. New CEO is making an effort to change the culture. Award program that has been initiated is a small step in the right direction.

Cons

Lack of pay increases or incentives. (It appears that management believes the PTO program, and telecommuting options are good substitutions). Very little opportunity for job growth. When management does promote, company does not provide training for those that are fortunate or lucky enough to be promoted (Recently there was someone promoted to a management position with zero people skills). It has become obvious that the company does very little to invest in employee growth and development via education and training, which can be perceived as company see employees being easily replaceable.

Internal communication and processes are extremely inconsistent. Even with technology constantly changing, some employees methods of work are archaic.

Advice to Management

Focus on internal development and growth for deserving employees. Keep the appreciated PTO benefits in place. Reward your employees. Encourage communication. Invest in technology that will make this media company "cutting edge." Goal should be to become "one of the best companies to work for."

"Shifting Focus"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; lots of telecommuting options.

Cons

Feelings of isolation, too much management focus on marketing/sales at the expense of everything else.

Advice to Management

Overall, a decent company to work for.

"Current Employee"

Pros

Flexible schedules allow for good balance of home and work life

Cons

Salary increases seem to be unheard of

"Reasonable Work Load"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offers good work/life balance by allowing for flex time and work-from-home opportunities. It's possible to only work 40 hours per week at an 1105 Media role, which is increasingly rare in today's job market.

Cons

Lower-than-average pay for the area, although the reasonable work load and flex time makes the smaller salary justified. Company pays less of the monthly medical insurance than previous places I've worked.

Advice to Management

Thanks for re-starting the monthly matching for the 401(k)!

"Things are definitely looking up!"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Last Christmas we got a new CEO. Now I was skeptical and so were others not because of him, but because of past leadership. All I can say is that the past 8 months have been so much better. He's delivered on everything that he's promised. He listens, helps and you can see that he really cares about the success of everyone. Communication has improved and the overall morale is much better. I certainly hope this continues. For me personally I like my job and the balance it allows me to have with my family.

Cons

Pay is still an issue but we did get our 401K back and healthcare costs with the exception of this coming year are a challenge. Even here I have faith that this will be addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I love the new website. Keep asking for employee ideas and to Rajeev don't stop doing what you are doing.

"Director"

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

co-workers are a good group, business unit missions are good, 401K matching being re-introduced is positive

Cons

senior management within business units are unqualified, very entitled and think nothing of cutting salaries of good employees. Holiday time-off has now been reduced so more selling can occur = more revenue opportunities. Constant re-organization, lay-offs, and huge workloads with limited resources are very disruptive.