1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East Reviews | Glassdoor

1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East Reviews

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Have flexible schedules & opportunity to work from home" (in 4 reviews)

• "Good pay,great training,great hours and good benefits" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor management does not care about employees" (in 3 reviews)

• "It takes at least 3 months before any changes are made, and you have to proactively contact them before anything is done" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly easy to communicate love it

Cons

None for me. All is great

"Terrible office culture; conservative/corporate politics"

Former Employee - Political Organizer
    Former Employee - Political Organizer

I worked at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time

Pros

I worked full-time out of 1199's office for Long Island. I was paid $800 a week for an Independent Expenditure campaign. I'm very young so the pay was a boon and I didn't have to work very hard at all. My boss always bought food - one time, we spent four hours on a lunch break.

Cons

The union might fight for it's members, but even to that point, I'm not certain. What I am certain of is that this union's interactions in the political arena are dedicated to protecting the status quo that has enriched the union and (possibly; I don't know for sure) improved the lives of their members. In an era where every smart liberal Democrat is jumping on the single-payer train, our healthcare campaign was all about defending Obamacare, a deeply unpopular law. The messaging work and symbolism was shallow identity politics and anti-Trump but a lot of our funding came from the hospitals themselves. If anyone is familiar with NY state politics, they'll know there is this kind of Lucy's football from the Peanuts cartoon dynamic with Cuomo and the Democratic establishment promising to do things like expand Medicaid coverage to all New Yorkers, but never following through. 1199 is on the wrong side of that fight - and the last thing they want is more affordable healthcare because it might entail the consolidation of healthcare costs. Don't get me wrong - we should have solidarity with the 500,000+ 1199 members. But they are protecting a messy, broken healthcare-industrial complex at the expense of broader progressive changes to society.

The office culture was horrible. My co-workers did not appreciate me wanting to actually work the full eight hours; my bosses were incapable of articulating any kind of daily, weekly, or monthly plans. They did not want to do any work. I was also a white male in a predominantly minority office and one of my co-workers invoked that more than once, I think as a justification of them being angry at me for wanting to work? Regardless, I obviously don't have an issue with people's race. But one of my co-workers had an issue with mine. My bosses were disinterested and incapable of handling the situation.

The one individual who was supposed to be networking other community organizations hogged all the relationships to himself (he's also an employee of the hospital association, so go figure). There was no community organizing. There was no serious policy education. There was no genuine interaction with voters as to the importance of "electing Democrats" and the actual connection to why that means a better quality of life. And looking back, it makes sense - now that one of the Union powerbrokers confirmed to me that Cuomo will veto single-payer if it ever crosses his desk, and knowing that the insurance companies will probably force the Democrats to abandon Medicare for All if they actually got power, what do voters get by supporting the Democrats? With regard to healthcare, rising premiums and a bloated industry at all levels? That's the status quo 1199 is fighting to protect in the political arena.

Advice to Management

Stop touting Martin Luther King as a supporter of SEIU. It doesn't matter if he gave a speech to the nurses in the 1960s. He would hate what the union has become today.

"This Place"

I worked at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits, with little to no out of pocket expenses. Decent pay.

Cons

Poor management, low staff morale, rude customers, and poor working conditions.

4. "Sr. Quality Assurance Test Lead"

Former Employee - QA Test Lead in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - QA Test Lead in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company, great coworkers, good group of people.

Cons

none that i cant think of

5. "Customer Care Rep"

I worked at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time

Pros

Not a contract position,full time.

Cons

The Job Ended to quickly

Advice to Management

Work on Turnover Rate

"Improve the Training"

Current Employee - Claims Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good diversity. Inclusiveness. Good benefits. Strong performing company in the stock market.

Cons

Underpayment for expectations. I have noticed lots of unprofessional behaviors from several levels of staff.

Advice to Management

Training should be more specific and more professional if 100% accuracy is expected. A real curriculum is needed to ensure logic process and the depth of understanding for necessary claim actions for staff. I'm still asking why questions to understand what I am doing, while 100% accuracy is expected.

7. "customer service representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Horsham, PA

I have been working at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good experience good environment

Cons

united health care for health insurance

Advice to Management

excellent

8. "good overall"

I worked at 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time

Pros

friendly,great boss,good coworkers,great company atmosphere

Cons

stressfully, multiple roles without additional pay

"Warehouse Distribution Associate"

Current Employee - Distribution Associate in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Distribution Associate in Bethpage, NY

Pros

Great medical benefits and no copays (when you have it), provides pension and many other benefits

Cons

For drilling/training military Guards and Reservist, your benefits can easily be downgraded or taken away because you missed a day or two from work for military training. It takes at least 3 months before any changes are made, and you have to proactively contact them before anything is done.

Many bad members dwells and gets recycled because of its job protection it provides its members. Not the union fault for hiring them, but is their fault for keeping them

Many favoritisms occur within worksites between union members and management. and because of this, they fail to recognize ones who work hard.

Not much opportunity for growth or advancement

Advice to Management

Please consider other alternatives or options than taking away a training/drilling military with family their medical coverage.

Recognize the workers who work hard and are well skilled and not the ones who brown nose them

10. "Customer Service Advocate"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

*abiity to work from home

Cons

*not working in office less opportunities