120VC Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
120VC CEO Jason Scott
Jason Scott

"A Truly Human Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

120VC is a team that walks their talk. From their mission to their core values. Every team member truly cares about the person to their right and the person to their left. This results in a product that is unmatched and an experience that is truly fulfilling. Our clients don't look at us like mercenary billing machines, but like trusted partners that are emotionally invested in their success. I feel empowered to make any decision necessary to ensure the best possible outcome for my client and their team members.

Cons

120VC is not a culture for individuals that put their needs before that of the team or the client. At 120VC we win for the team. In addition, Project Management focused on maximizing the efficient use of time and money to achieve transformation outcomes is hard work. This team works hard and plays hard. 120VC is not a place for cry babies!

Advice to Management

Stay laser focused... Continue to make your decisions based on how they related to the big 3. Caring about your clients and doing a superior job for them, caring about your team members and giving them the support they need to perform the later, focus on growing your account base and billable heart count to create great employment opportunities for current and future team members.

"Awesome x Infinity"

Current Employee - Stakeholder Champion in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Stakeholder Champion in Seattle, WA

Pros

120VC has the most amazing culture that I've ever had the privilege to be a part of. From a visionary CEO down through the ranks, everyone at the company is enthusiastic, positive, helpful and loves being a part of this company. I was drawn here by these core values that can be found at the company's website:

We sincerely care about people and demonstrate this in our words, our actions and how we deliver
        We think like entrepreneurs, innovate and challenge the status quo to create substantial wins for our clients
        We believe that HOW we win defines us
        We do what we say we are going to do, we are accountable
        We find Win – Win scenarios; trade-offs sell our stakeholders short
        Our team members mistakes are safe with an obligation to share the lessons learned
        We create an environment where people are encouraged to BE authentic
        If we think someone is making a mistake, we have an obligation to voice it
        WE WALK THE TALK…

So far I've found that these are not just random statements, this company actually means what they say and they practice it every day.

Cons

Nothing that I've seen so far. This company, while going through a bit of a transition from a sales perspective is doing it the right way.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best...... thinking big, being bold and walking the talk!

"Love this Company!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for with powerful core values and the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. With the right attitude, employees can be promoted into positions they might otherwise thought they may not have the aptitude for initially, but learned they have the key skills for the position. 120VC is a very coaching and mentoring company where encouragement and congratulations are the norm.

Cons

Not many cons to report about this company except for we need more talented people to help grow the company.

Advice to Management

Still to your core values of coaching/mentoring your employees, being authentic and transparent, and connecting with companies with similar values and the company will thrive.

"Good place to improve PM skills"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 120VC (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn solid project management skills.

Cons

Overly burdensome administrative work that clients generally do not find helpful and don't like paying for.

Advice to Management

Improve interpersonal skills.

Feb 12, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for leaving this review! I agree that we have had a client or two over the years that perceived the rigor of Project Management as administrative and burdensome. The vetting process ... More

"Good company to learn the basics of project management"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 120VC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- if you are inexperienced, you'll learn how to plan and execute an infrastructure project (putting in new hardware, moving data centers)

Cons

- Doesn't understand differences between infrastructure project management and SaaS or COTS, but takes them on anyway; not delivering expected value
    - No work/life balance with expectations too high for socializing with clients

Advice to Management

Don't take projects that are outside your wheelhouse. Instead focus on projects and clients that will be well served by your internally trained PMs

Feb 2, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for your post! I apologize that your experience over the 3 years you spent with 120VC was generally negative! For job seekers: 120VC doesn't claim any subject matter expertise outside of ... More

"This company has all the shortcomings of a small business"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 120VC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the concepts and templates are good. The CEO is charismatic and open to new ideas.

Cons

They have a small client base and if a project for which you were hired is cancelled, the chances are high that you’ll be out of a job.
    They’re too small to negotiate a discount with private medical insurance companies – my actual, out-of-pocket cost was the same whether I bought the coverage through them or privately
    You’re strongly encouraged to write positive reviews of their online classes which are reviewed by management before posting – as an employee, you are not going to risk making negative comments.
    Everything you do as a project manager must follow strict rules. During my weekly employee reviews, I was docked points for a missing comma or not enough spaces before a required dash.

Advice to Management

Establish a way of controlling execs who abuse their power through favoritism and by imposing a strict, highly individualized interpretation of your guidebook.

Feb 2, 2015 – CEO

I apologize for your experience. I believe that employers bear the greater responsibility for ensuring future team members are a good fit for the culture and capable of performing the job. When ... More

"Great opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Torrance, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time

Pros

The training courses and guidebook apply to all projects. Management had a large focus on personal growth and the company is full of opportunities to advance your career. They also have many well known clients so there is opportunity to work in many different environments.

Cons

Actively managing client work and internal work can be challenging. Internal reporting takes a significant amount of time putting the typical work week above 40 hours. Work/life balance can be difficult to manage.

"Two thumbs up for 120VC!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

120VC is an innovative and team-oriented company to work at. Everyone's voices are heard and even encouraged to participate. The CEO believes in raw talent to be the future of this company and that gives us all a chance and hope that we do get discovered. It is naturally easy to speak up the company because it's proven in the work and growth that it has shown.

Cons

120VC is awesome - I have no cons.

10. "Solid company led by some smart people"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They offer training and reinforcement of project management best practices that work.

Cons

The first few weeks can be very challenging for a PM to ramp up, learn and also be productive. The tools are there, you just have to be ready to focus without distractions.

11. "Onward and Upward."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Now in my second year I have completed both the 120VC PM and PgM certifications and have moved up in the organization as a Program Manager. The 120VC approach and tools helped me to lead projects for our client more effectively. Even the ones that finished past the desired due date were considered successful due to the leadership and communications the approach fostered. If you really want to hone your skills and work with great people this is the place.

Cons

Not really a con but the client culture and environment I'm at is challenging, which all the more highlights the benefits of using the 120 VC approach and tools.