KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

14 West

Engaged Employer

14 West

Add a Review

14 West Employee Reviews about "14 west"

Updated May 24, 2021

18 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "14 west"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Have Entrepreneurial Sprit - Will Succeed!

Feb 23, 2019 - DevOps Manager and Product Owner in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked in various capacities at 14 West and The Agora Companies over the past 11+ years and through hard work and dedication, I have been able to build a successful career for myself. To a great degree, 14 West embodies the famous Steve Job’s quote: “It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” This ethos comes from the very top, as the company founder has personal spoken to his belief that employees should be empowered to bring ideas to the table, and may the best idea win! However, this is not the easiest path for management and employees seeking complacency. For such a mature company, there is still that “start-up” drive to continuously innovate, break the mold, question norms, and never stagnate. I am fortunate to be part of this process as it meshes well with what motivates me to be creative and enjoy going above and beyond the call of duty.

Cons

14 West is currently on the tail-end of a large management transformation. This has been a challenge for many long-term employees and can, at times, be off-putting for new employees seeking comfortable consistency. This is all good news, however. The career opportunities being afforded to enterprising candidates have the potential of long term sustainability and growth, particularly as the company charts a course towards a more structured and predicable corporate structure. My recommendation to current and prospective employees: Keep an eye on the future. There is a lot of foundation-building happening right now under some exceptionally deft and adept leadership.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

If culture is a top priority in your job search, 14 West is the place to be

Sep 20, 2019 - Chief of Staff in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had heard how fabulous the culture and people at 14 West were for years but now as an employee, I have found it to be incredibly open-minded, collaborative, high-performing and supportive of its employees' growth & development.

Cons

The rapid growth of the company has caused the space to be tight and conference rooms at a premium.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Supportive and welcoming workplace

Apr 26, 2019 - Legal Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

In nearly 6.5 years with 14 West I've never felt unsupported by my managers, other departments, or any of my immediate colleagues. 14 West culture as a whole is inclusive and flexible, which makes it a joy to work here.

Cons

Because 14 West is under the larger umbrella of The Agora Companies, and we're all spread out around Mt. Vernon, it can be difficult to know all of your colleagues in the area. But 14 West does a great job of providing social events help facilitate that mingling.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

A Great Place to Work

Apr 2, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

14 West offers a supportive culture with great opportunities for growth and career development. I love coming to work with an amazing and creative team of people in a collaborative, casual yet challenging environment.

Cons

Not a con per se, but if you are not a motivated self-starter, this may not be the best fit for you.

5. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Jun 12, 2019 - Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for! I've been working at 14 West for more than 5 year. The first thing I noticed about 14 West was that I see people here who are incredible at programming, analytics, marketing, client services and administration, who genuinely like their work and their co-workers. The opportunity at 14 West has allowed me to learn so much and progress in my career in a positive nature. Management is in tuned with how to make the organization stronger. I've truly enjoyed my time with the company and look forward to what the future brings.

Cons

I can't think of any

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

One of the single best decisions I’ve ever made.

Aug 20, 2019 - Onboarding Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Almost 19 years ago, I was a recent college graduate looking for a job. After a brief stint with the Department of Social Services, it became clear to me that unless I wanted a career as a bureaucrat, I was going to have to focus on what kind of experience I had rather than what my education qualified me to do. As I set forth to figure out my future, I took a “Customer Service Job in a Restored Victorian Mansion” in Mt Vernon. I chose Mt Vernon b/c I lived close by and the beautiful neighborhood offered lots to do when I was not working. It was the single best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve worked for the Agora Companies ever since. I’ve done everything from e commerce marketing to Corporate Trainer. My current position is new employee Onboarding Coordinator for 14 West.

Cons

With the constant strive to do better, it can be chaotic, but the chaos is challenging and always met with enthusiasm and a genuine team spirit. That said, if you are someone who doesn't deal with change well or requires a lot of guidance or structure, it may not be the place for you.

14 West Response

Director, Communications

We know this reviewer... one of the best around, and we are lucky to have them. Reviewer, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to post. We know you've got your hands very, very full these days!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

14 West Is the Place to Be!

May 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The workplace culture is very idea oriented. All ideas are heard regardless of the source. We choose the best ideas that work for the team and the company holistically, then move forward with those. - There is a freedom to 'Choose Your Own Path'. You may start in one position, but as you grow, you may find that your talents are better suited for something else. This type of growth is encouraged among your peers and leadership. - Workplace flexibility is also a positive. Not one working style works for all people and here you are given the opportunity to work in a manor that increases your productivity and your overall comfort. - The people at 14 West are very social and are into meeting up for lunch, and/or after work just to get to know you better.

Cons

- In some cases the freedom to "Choose Your Own Path" is tough to grasp for some individuals. Not everyone thrives in this type of working style because they may need a little more structure and guidance.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

A company that encourages growth? Yes, please!

Apr 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

This truly is an exceptional place. We work hard, play hard, and the culture is second to none. I can’t say I’ve ever worked at a place where people are genuinely happy to come to work each day until I ended up at 14 West. I started here in August of 2019, and one of the things I found most appealing was the stories I’d heard about how much employees are valued here, and how employee growth and development is a top priority. They really do encourage you to try new things and to to find and hone in on your strengths. After only 6 months, I inadvertently stumbled on some new passions in my career, and unbeknownst to me, my newfound passions and strengths were also being noticed by leadership. In February 2020, I was approached about a promotion on a new team. I have learned (and continue to learn) so much. Hard work and taking initiative here really do pay off, and it’s a really special thing when leadership bothers to really get to know their employees and supports them in their careers!

Cons

This is not exactly a con, but you absolutely must be willing to take initiative!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A marketplace of ideas & opportunity

Sep 20, 2019 - Legal Marketing Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

14 West emulates Baltimore’s charm in its offices, unique people and overall passion. I’ve been with the company for almost five years. Each year, I’ve had the opportunity to meet amazing people. I’ve worked with marketing teams, an international development group and a legal team during my time – not one day is identical to the next. Each opportunity required a love of learning, an entrepreneurial mindset and some grit. Our businesses are based on strong ideas, and there are opportunities (and support) if you’re willing to take risks and bet on your ideas. 14 West calls Mount Vernon, the cultural center of Baltimore, home. The company culture engages the neighborhood with discounts to local stores, gym memberships and events in Mount Vernon and throughout the city. Personal benefits also include a 401k program, health/education benefits and work from home flexibility. At 14 West the benefits help build a “good” life both in and out of the office.

Cons

Are you willing to fail? A traditional training program is not guaranteed at 14West, so you must be resilient. Be willing to chart your own course. Be aware - learn to communicate effectively and kindly and know when to ask for help and when to “figure it out.”

10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Nontraditional fun place to work and grow

Mar 31, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great place for problem solvers, self-starters and creatives. No company is perfect but 14 West is transparent about their issues and empowers employees to strategize and take action. The company has a lot of strong talent and their employees are passionate about what they do.

Cons

Minimal direction at times and the company can be complicated to understand which can make it difficult to prioritize work.

1 person found this review helpful