14 West Reviews

Updated Apr 28, 2021

3.9
Pros
  • "I started working for 14 West 1 year ago under Elizabeth Massing with no previous HR knowledge(in 23 reviews)

• "The work/life balance is amazing and that's something you don't really find anymore - especially in the events world(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "14 West is best suited for those that take initiative(in 8 reviews)

• "If you pay attention and take initiative, you'll settle in quickly(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

One of the best companies!

Apr 23, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company leadership cares about the employees. They empower everyone to make decisions and lead their area of responsibility.

Cons

Has been going through some growing pains to match it's size and business. Moving away from a small company mindset in operations and structure. But this is good to get consistent results.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Easy, fun, and good worklife balance

Apr 28, 2021 - Senior Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work-life balance. Work is easy and rarely requires off hour works, but are flexible to work with you to make sure you aren't overworked.

Cons

Went through a lot of layoffs and upper management doesn't always learn from past lessons

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good short term work

Apr 2, 2021 - Senior Graphic Designer
      Business Outlook

Pros

enthusiastic fast pace environment with perks

Cons

high turn over and limited chance for advancement

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

14 West HR is a Great Place to Work!

Mar 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people and the culture SO much. I've been here for several years and my coworkers feel like family. I not only enjoy the work, but I'm encouraged to grow personally and professionally outside of work.

Cons

Nothing I can think of!

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Mar 18, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Atmosphere, the people are the best! Employee benefits are best in the area.

Cons

I do not have anything to share

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good for experience but not long term

Dec 8, 2020 - Scrum Master in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great co-workers - Employee autonomy - Remote flexibility (pre-covid) - Training and certification opportunities

Cons

When I joined in 2019 there was so much optimism and excitement regarding the rapid expansion of the company. In that year there was a major hiring surge that I was a part of. A year later there have been significant layoffs every several months in 2020, and not all impacted by covid. While I appreciate the opportunity to have gained a lot of experience and work with exciting products, the morale has taken a nose-dive and there is not much confidence in leadership. The company went through an agile transformation in 2019, however progress has been stunted because leadership does not trust people to do their job. There is too much pushback on initiatives and too many concessions have to be made to keep the people who have been there for 100 years comfortable. There are talented people who have been let go, while there are people who joined the company (during my tenure) who are still in leadership positions yet contribute absolutely nothing, and have made the organization even more bureaucratic.

3 people found this review helpful

Digital Content Manager

In 2018 and the beginning of 2019, we did experience rapid growth. Our client's businesses were growing fast and we needed to keep pace. Something that we did not anticipate was the challenges they were about to face. Due to regulatory changes within their industry, they needed to take a step back, slow down, and rethink their approach. This also meant taking a hard look at the structure within 14 West and the services we offer them. Some very tough decisions had to be made. We still have more change and learning ahead of us, but we welcome the opportunity to improve and we're working hard to ensure that we come out of this stronger. To the reviewer, we understand your frustration, and we wish you the best of luck in your next role. We will also be passing along your feedback to our Tech leadership team.

7. 5.0

Amazingly supportive company

Jan 22, 2021 - Human Resources/Office Administrator in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working for 14 West 1 year ago under Elizabeth Massing with no previous HR knowledge. In the past year I have had countless opportunities to join in on seminars and trainings learning everything I needed. My team has been so incredibly nice and patient with my many questions everyday. I am proud to be apart of the HR team in 14 West and everything we do for our company and employees.

Cons

Honestly I cant think of any

Digital Content Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's an important reminder that if you join 14 West with an eagerness to learn and grow, you can find opportunities.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work with room for growth!

Mar 4, 2021 - Payroll Specialist in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

-great benefits -opportunity for growth -amazing culture -best HR team around

Cons

none to mention at this time

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to work

Jan 20, 2021 - Administrative in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and fantastic people to work with

Cons

There isn't much uniformity or organization. Software and technologies are changing way to often.

Digital Content Manager

As technology advances and new opportunities present themselves, we have to adapt. This can mean changing directions or learning new systems. But this change is necessary is if we want to remain competitive and keep our goals aligned with our clients'. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we wish you luck in your future endeavors.

10. 1.0

14 west in review

Dec 3, 2020 - Manager in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

The meeting rooms are nice which is good since most people spend 8 hours per day sitting in useless meetings.

Cons

Office politics is 80% of the job if you take on any responsibility to actually do real work you are subject to termination. The only real motivation is to just look busy and never take on any responsibility. It is run like a kingdom where one alcoholic COO is in charge of all the decisions if you are not a yes man then you wont last long. He Terminated or ran off the most productive leaders 2 years ago and the place has been going down ever since. This place is a form of hell to work in. 14 west is an unethical company that keeps its employees on constant fear of termination. There is not oversite on the COO he literally screams at people that oppose him.

Continue reading
      1 person found this review helpful

Digital Content Manager

This review includes some very personal and very serious claims about our COO, but very little substance. As such, we encourage the reviewer to consider reaching out to 14 West HR to discuss these concerns in more depth. As is the case with all reviews, this has been taken to leadership.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 89 Reviews