KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

14 West

Engaged Employer

14 West

Add a Review

14 West Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 24, 2021

18 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely love my job!

Jun 17, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

I get to work with some amazingly talented people in a very progressive work environment. I truly feel supported and trusted by the leadership of the organization. I am able to achieve the desired work/life balance while being empowered to pioneer new initiatives, learn, and grow in my career. To say that I love my job is an understatement!

Cons

I commute from a ways out which can be a bit of a drag at times but it doesn't take away from how I feel about the company and my role in it.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Current Employee

Nov 30, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The overall culture here is fantastic. They have a great approach to work/life balance, and create an environment that is fun to work in. The work I do on a day to day basis is challenging, but always rewarding - and I get to work with some pretty amazing people. Your voice is always heard, and the best idea always wins. I've thoroughly enjoyed all the years I'v worked here!

Cons

Nowhere is perfect, and there will always be some "downs" with the "ups." The only true con I can think of depends on your personality. 14 West is big on "self starters," so if you need constant direction and a daily list of tasks, that's not the culture here. Overall I love coming to work and seeing what exciting new things I will tackle that day.

3 people found this review helpful

Director, Communications

Thank you to this reviewer. We're happy to have you here! And we love your "Cons," by the way. If that's our biggest "problem," we're in great shape.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Never-ending change. Great for a recent graduate but don't have high expectations.

May 24, 2021 - Scrum Master in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at 14 West/Agora was very enjoyable during my tenure. It was easy to see why they have been repeatedly placed in Baltimore Sun's top workplaces year after year. Work life balance was great. There were never any issues with needing to shift your day around due to appointments, unforeseen circumstances, etc. However, this was team/manager specific and not company wide. Trainings and conferences. The company was very open to sending employees to conferences or trainings that would benefit the company and employee. Again, this was team/manager specific. Co-workers were amazing and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

There is never-ending change that is built into the companies foundation and C-level leadership. It was a common practice to have a complete reorganization every 4-6 months that resulted in canceled initiatives and constant confusion on the direction of the business. The CEO might as well be a ghost, you never hear from him even though he resides in the same office building. Pay inequality and lack of competitive pay. It wasn't uncommon to hear of a significate pay difference between coworkers of opposite sex, even though they shared similar titles, experience and qualifications. Advancement is very political. It's based off of who you know, not what you know or what you've done. Ethics and legality. The businesses involved in the Agora umbrella (companies that 14 West supports) were unethical and illegal in more ways than one. The companies business strategy is essentially selling bogus reading material to ignorant seniors who are vulnerable and susceptible to fraud. Multiple lawsuits, audits and fines took place during my tenure. Lack of structure and professionalism. I've always described 14 West as a professional fraternity due to the boys club-esque environment that was often uncomfortable to many female coworkers. Antiquated technology, products and leadership. Almost all applications are monolithic bricks developed in the early 2000s.

7 people found this review helpful

Digital Content Manager

This reviewer has touched on some of the most valued aspects of our culture, including learning and growth opportunities, a healthy work/life balance, and a welcoming and friendly culture. They've also given us a lot to think about. We're appreciative of the feedback and will be passing this along to our leadership team. We welcome improvement and know there's always room for it.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing place to work!

Nov 21, 2016 - Communications Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

The office culture is very lenient with flexible hours, no dress code, and you're likely to see a dog running around on any given day. The company gets together for happy hours and social events on a regular basis. You're encouraged to try out work beyond your given tasks. You're given the freedom to explore and implement anything that you think will better the company.

Cons

There isn't a lot of hand holding. Some people see that as a con and others really enjoy it. You're hired because your manager trusts you as a person to pick things up on your own. You may feel a little lost and confused at first but that's normal. This is my first job and I've been told by dozens of people that I won't be able to work anywhere else because our workplace is unlike any other. From the work - life balance to the creative freedom to the social aspects, I've been told it will be very hard for me to try to work anywhere else. I don't plan on leaving any time soon, but if I do then that's certainly a con.

Communications & Media Coordinator

We're glad you touched on your experience as a new hire. We've been investing some serious time and energy in our onboarding process... which should benefit the employees you eventually hire to support you as your career here continues to unfold. If you have any specific recommendations, please do be sure to contact us at info@14west.us.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Established Company with a Start up Feel

Apr 2, 2019 - Legal Marketing Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

14 West encourages self-starters and perfectly pairs independent work, self management, and collaboration. The company itself is huge, and encompasses so many fields and projects. I feel like I can work here for the long haul and grow in my current position, or move to a different role within the company with referrals from my management team and close colleagues. An entrepreneurial spirit is rewarded! People want you to succeed here, but you have to want it too. This company encourages you to be your own advocate for your own success, and they'll give you the tools and resources you need to achieve your goals. 14 W is a big company with big ideas and big opportunities that maintains a close community feel. People are encouraged to better themselves as individuals and to maintain a healthy work life balance so they can be the best version of themselves both at work and at home. They truly embody the philosophy that happy, well-rounded people make successful employees.

Cons

To be honest, I think any downside is something that could be mitigated or resolved if you're willing to talk to your management about your concerns!

6. 4.0

Work Hard, Play Hard

Aug 21, 2019 - Human Resources Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

They really go out of their way to promote a good work life balance. Whether it’s the flexibility to work from home, gym discounts, Uber codes, 401(k) matching, discounts at local restaurants and stores, happy hours or snack deliveries- there’s a perk that appeals to everyone. Work hard play hard should be in all job descriptions. There are a lot of opportunities for growth and development as well. Leadership encourages you to seek out trainings and seminars, locally and nationwide, that would benefit you and 14W.

Cons

The only area that they could improve in is diversity. At my past companies, there have been at least one woman, person of color, or both in at least one executive position. I haven’t seen a lot of diversity at the top. Maybe there is diversity on other teams in other buildings, but not a ton in mine. They only time I really see diversity is when people deliver inter-office mail.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

I've found my work home !!

Sep 27, 2019 - Event Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are amazing to work with and for. I've never felt anything other than trusted here and that my opinion matters - and that's rare to find. The work/life balance is amazing and that's something you don't really find anymore - especially in the events world. Management is always available, but also supportive in allowing you to make your own decisions. I'm extremely happy here and am so grateful to be part of this company.

Cons

There's nothing that I can think of.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Cool Place to Choose Your own Path

Aug 8, 2018 - Network Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Workplace Culture! You are encourage to take initiative and voice your ideas. You are given the freedom to work on what interest you. Growing your skills beyond your chosen discipline is encouraged. Training is provided. There's a strong focus on work/life balance and flexibility. Management is supportive of what employees personal/professional growth and listen to suggestions for improvements. Casual dress, Focus on Work/Life Balance, Ability to Choose your own Path, Great Co-Workers, Idea Oriented

Cons

Unstructured work environment - not great for professionals who require a lot of direction.

Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post. We're happy to know that you're enjoying your work and the culture here. And we intend to make good on your request to "keep it up"... valuing people comes naturally to us, and we're making this is a priority each and every day.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews