160over90 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2019

2.4
John Campanella

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You learn a lot from being thrown into the fire" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great people to work with who are passionate about what they do" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "I can tell that recent changes are hopefully going to lead to a better work/life balance which will ultimately mean stronger teams overall" (in 12 reviews)

• "Long hours with no compensation" (in 7 reviews)

"Gettin hot in hur’"

Current Employee - Creative Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at 160over90 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Look this place is the jammer

Free bathrooms
    Sodas
    Ping ball tables
    Cool retro office vibes
    Hot dog eat off fridays

Yalls a bunch of haters saying this place is not the jam. My boy johnny put a urnial at his desk so he doesnt take up a throne in the boys shack. He once even told me about his house in the Hamptons!

Seriously doh. I live large and i get to slide by not noticed. I drink at my desk and no one cares! 8am aka beer30, amiright?

Cons

Look no cons bro only perfection

I wish we had frozen burritos

Advice to Management

Youre cool mane oh j-dawg does this count for my review task?

"Run....do not come here no matter what they say about "changes"."

I have been working at 160over90 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work on Higher Education, which is a great way to build out a resume. If you're lucky you might get to work on a professional sports team or a consumer client. But most of the agency is higher education.

Media, interactive, analytics and research which makes approaching a client problem different than at an agency where those disciplines aren't in house. And they are led by some smart people.

Full of young people who are a close knit group who enjoy having fun together in and out of the office.

Cons

This place has been in a constant swirl for years and the people who have been here for a long time are traumatized. No one in leadership knows what they are doing or how to execute the 'vision' they are constantly talking about. And let's be clear, there is no vision for the agency beyond getting bought, which they accomplished twice.

Clients are leaving constantly due to the focus being on selling bad contracts vs really helping to solve client problems. Every project begins with a limit called hours -- there's no time to think or explore a solution, we need to just deliver work as fast as possible. Doesn't matter if it isn't good or doesn't solve what the client is looking to solve.

Most of the agency doesn't actually care about the clients or their employees. Morale has been awful for a long time, and while some people have come in to try to make changes, they never seem to last too long. There's no training, onboarding or sharing of knowledge. It's every man for themselves.

Don't be fooled...they will tell you anything to get you in the door.

Advice to Management

Find your next job. Learn how to keep, train and motivate your employees who are the ones doing all the actual work.

"Ok Culture. Trying to Make changes."

I worked at 160over90 full-time

Pros

Great people to work with who are passionate about what they do. There are stil people who are very invested in the company and want to see it succeed as they continue to get more involved with Endeavor.

Cons

Should listen to mid-level management more and take their thoughts/plans into consideration. Provide more mentorship. Make sure people are on-boarded properly.

"Major problems"

I worked at 160over90 full-time

Pros

Free beer
    Ping pong table
    Pretty office

Cons

Tense workplace
    Unprofessional management
    Long hours with no compensation

"This place is actually bad"

I worked at 160over90 full-time

Pros

- Philadelphia (now with 20% less urine!)
    - Smart and good people (ultimately the best thing about the agency)
    - Free beer
    - Ping pong tables
    - Some CDs and execs use their indoor voices when tearing you apart from the inside
    - Direct deposit clears
    - The kitchen usually has those little pretzels that are filled with peanut butter
    - You can see Camden from the office
    - You might learn something

Cons

Do you enjoy the sinking feeling of paralyzing anxiety and existential dread creeping into your psyche every Sunday evening? Are you fond of being a mere cog in a machine so fixated on profits it completely ignores all other workplace elements in some Orwellian-esque version of late-stage capitalism? Do you yearn for the opportunity to forego any sort of out of office enjoyment to slave away at your cubicle creating work — that you can't share — for a salary that barely grants you the dignity of a semi-normal life? Are creativity and job satisfaction things you're willing to part with in exchange for a soul-sucking daily grind, the chance to drink free beer before the office closes on Friday night — which helps to dull the angst and blur the memory — and maybe get promoted to a senior position after two-and-a-half years? Do you want in work in Philadelphia (now with less murder and more heroine!)? Then boy do I have a job for you!

160over90 sucks. Hard and a lot. It's steeped in the garbage juice-filled world of "agency life." A life that's presented as glamorous and sexy, but ultimately translates to 70-plus billable hours of work per week, a slap-in-the-face salary, and people in power who care only about raking in cash. 160 views its employees as expendable pieces in pursuit of profits. It's why they had over 50% turnover in the year I was there. It's a shame, because, outside of a few weenies and try-hards, the people at 160 are wonderful, smart, and create phenomenal work. But when the only option is to work longer and harder, people crash and burn. 160 has either refuses to acknowledge this, or simply doesn't care. I vote for the latter.

Advice to Management

- Stop sucking
    - Pay people what they're worth
    - Invest in human capital
    - Offer something more than beer
    - Work/life balance is a thing that exists, and it is actually good

"It's fine"

I have been working at 160over90 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Look, I'm just trying to get access to the other reviews on glassdoor. Apparently they are making me "contribute."

Cons

It sucks to have to go to work, doesn't it. To like, show up and do a job. The worst.

"FALLING APART"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at 160over90 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Working with them is the main pro.

Cons

Recent jokey reviews hide the serious problems there. They forced overhead crazy low and pushed billings super high to look good for buyers. Now the new owners think those insane numbers are the norm i guess. I overheard someone say management style is "all stick and no carrot"... thats a good way to describe it. . No culture at all. No communication of game plan except billing as much as possible. CEO probably has a plan but will not share it. He 100% has a plan for himself. Behind closed doors constantly. Barely interacts with non-senior management except some yelling and cursing. Sr. Management also seem to have no idea what the plan is. It gets more sad & confusing every day.

Advice to Management

There must be a way to hit your personal goals without putting almost 200 people's futures at risk

8. "keep up and you'll go far"

I have been working at 160over90 full-time

Pros

160over90 is by far the hardest place i've ever had to work. it pushes you to think critically and the only way to really thrive here is to dive in head first. there are lots of smart and very dedicated people and with the endeavor acquisition there are alot of positive changes that are starting to appear and its better than where we were with the venture capital firm. if you prove your worth, you're well taken care of.

Cons

there is an old guard that is dragging this place down. those who are coasting or act entitled don't do well here. some of the account people are zombies. the creatives arent plugged into the business enough. it can get annoying to have to push people to do their jobs.

Advice to Management

clean house. this place has potential.

"Soul-sucking"

I have been working at 160over90 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moving to Self-Managed Time Off
    Nice Holiday Schedule
    Opportunity to work for big name clients if you're on the right team
    Free coffee & breakfast
    Free beer, wine, and booze on Fridays so you can drink to forget the mess of working here

Cons

The quick story:
    160 is a vortex that will do its very best to drown you. Undervalued and underpaid employees. Long hours with many who work late nights and weekends. Minimal diversity, especially in leadership positions. It's all about money, creative be damned.

The long story:
    How long you last here really depends on who you work with. There are many very talented people that come through here and make things more bearable, but burnout is frequent and turnover is high in all departments, so these good people are rarely here for long. On the flip side, you may also work with some truly arrogant people with raging superiority complexes that won't hesitate to throw you under the bus if given the chance.

Depending on the job, you will receive minimal to no training. Baptism by fire is extremely prevalent, and those who fail are simply labeled as unmotivated or not up to the challenge. Those who manage to make it through the first couple months will find that it really doesn't get much better. Increasingly bitter pills will cause many to leave within two years, or become so worn down they simply stop caring.

The current management is a bunch of carbon copied white guys. They do read these reviews and then ask employees to write overly positive reviews to balance them out. The new management started taking over in September, and the ridiculously cheery reviews began pouring in. Instead of trying to fix actual issues, management focuses their energy on petty internal squabbles. They continue to perpetuate an environment of fear to keep people from asking too many questions.

The parent company, Endeavor, touts cool partnerships and opportunities for creative work, but in reality only exists to name drop clients and talk about events they host. Overly fond of buzzwords and corporate jargon, I don't believe they're capable of giving anyone a straight answer, so don't bother trying to get any info out of them. They appear to be even more of an elitist boys' club than 160's management.

With 160 and Endeavor together, it's become obvious that they will continue only to care about billable hours and reaching financial goals. Any focus on good creative work that was once here is gone. Clients are frustrated with us for mediocre/rushed creative, burning through their contract hours (by management's request), and constantly pushing them to sign extended contracts and extra projects that they don't want or need, purely for the financial gain of the company. Management promotes lying to current and potential clients; anything to keep business or get the next sale.

Should you find yourself working here, know that a year with 160 feels more like three. Having been here a couple years myself, the promise of opportunity and the few nice perks just don't outweigh all the negativity and unnecessary stress. I truly believe working here is a detriment to the health and happiness of all involved.

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings who live for more than lining your pockets. Establish an environment that allows creativity to take center stage. Hire diversely, especially in leadership roles, to get some new points of view. Good luck.

"High Expectations Yield High Rewards"

I have been working at 160over90 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the year and a half I have been working at 160over90 I have learned an incredible amount about advertising and have had the opportunity to work with some of the brightest people in the industry. With an incredible roster of clients across sports teams (Go Eagles!), CPG, and many of the leading universities in the country, our clients are incredibly smart and therefore they expect our agency to consistently deliver best-in-class results. It goes without saying that these expectations translate to internal expectations as well. Working at 160 is undoubtedly challenging, and if your personal inclination is to shy away hard work, then the below reviews are correct, this place is not for you. That being said, with our recent acquisition by Endeavor Global Marketing, the agency culture is on an upward trajectory with all employees very excited and optimistic about the connectivity working under the WME/IMG umbrella is sure to bring.

Cons

Don’t get me wrong, there are days where I question why dealing with the internal politics is worth my energy. But I have worked at some of the top PR agencies in NYC and politics in the workplace are not exclusive to 160over90. You have to have a thick skin to work at an agency – to work at any agency in any industry – and if agency life is not for you there are tons of fantastic in-house job opportunities.

Advice to Management

Ever since the acquisition there has been a clear investment in creating a culture of transparency and it is much appreciated. The town halls are very valuable, and I think it’s important to continue having them. I think it would be good for employee morale to have a community service day and it would be good for creative team morale to actively promote and champion the work they do.