180LA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Allen

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 180LA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, energetic, smart people. Creative team's are exceptionally talented, hard working, and award winning. The overall vibe is positive. Team members are recognized for their good work. Environment is bright and fun. There’s a generous supply of food and celebrations. Overall, respect from the top down. It’s been a pleasure working at 180 so far. No complaints.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to concentrate because the floor plan is so open and noise travels. Headphones are a quick fix.

"Who hired these ECDs?"

Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at 180LA full-time

Pros

People-They are like your family
    Culture-Fun place to work
    Decent work/life balance compared to most agencies

Cons

The ECDs: Zero understanding of how to run a department/be leaders. They truly think they are gods gift to 180. They could have such an impact on this place but they aren't invested. They come and go as they please. All they care about are AWARDS. They talk about how awards will bring new business and new talent. Unfortunately, we haven't seen any of that. I'd say fire them, use those salaries to hire more junior copywriters and art directors that will actually do the work because we are drowning in the work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more transparent and involved. The all agency staff meetings are just comical. Mike and William don't understand that everyone in this agency talks. They then proceed to stand in front of everyone to tell us something completely different.

If this agency wants to survive, they need to hire junior employees that will actually do the work.

3. "Love for 180"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at 180LA full-time

Pros

-Great, great people
    -No bad attitude policy
    -Smaller agency feel with big client names
    -Upper management including CEO and CCO are very thoughtful and good people. Drawn to 180 because of this. If there is a problem it gets addressed with thoughtfulness and in a kind way. It may take some time but it gets addressed.
    -Room to grow if you are vocal about wanting to grow
    -After a big push for new business pitch or presentation agency is flexible about taking comp time off
    -Because it's a smaller agency everyone needs to shine and step up. Great for those who want to.
    -Good opportunities for women and men alike!
    -ECD's are very passionate and believe in all that their creative teams do and if not they'll let them know in a constructive way.
    -Work comes first, client second, ego's left at the door policy from the top down
    -Fosters creative and human growth which is felt but could be communicated more. Working on this a lot lately
    -Love the breakfast Monday's and barista everyday!
    -CEO and CCO are humble enough to own up to bad decision making and work towards solutions
    -Did I mention the people are the best? Ultimately that's what makes a great agency and great work
    -HR is approachable, friendly and helpful. If they don't know something they find out asap.

Cons

-Smaller agency with lean staff has some downfalls including some late nights BUT they make you take time off after
    -Could be a lot less political. Too much politic gaming with management and department heads.
    -Focus more on doing great work
    -Hire upper management ONLY if they've worked at a creative agency. There have been a few recent hires that have not and it's yielded bad results and affects morale.

Advice to Management

Keep up the heart and soul of the agency. Don't lose sight of that.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Location, location, location. 180 is still living off their creative reputation from the Amsterdam days. That's about it.

Cons

Where do I start? The two guys at the top are going through personal issues and they've let their personal stuff impact their day to day jobs. Some days, they don't even show up. They are so disconnected to reality, it's a joke. The agency has no vision and leadership is non-existent. The founder quit a few months ago because he was so fed up. The agency continually gets smaller. They don't work with Pepsi anymore, Boost Mobile is no longer a client, fired by HP and they're still trying to get Miller Lite in a good place. I'd be surprised if the place exist in a year. TBWA will just end up absorbing the agency.

When I was hired, there was no on-boarding process. They told me where to sit and that was it. Training is non-existent.

180LA is an agency run by white guys at the top. From top to bottom. No HR, people can't leave fast enough, they can't even find people to come work there. All this agency cares about is awards. UNICEF and Expedia work is great, but UNICEF is pro-bono. It's the Titanic all over the again.

Advice to Management

Look around and take some responsibility.

"Yuck, yuck, yuck."

Current Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at 180LA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can sort of see the ocean if you get close enough to the leadership office!

Endless supply of Rotten Dole brand bananas!

John Mayer playing on repeat in the women's bathroom!

Cons

-Rotten from the top down

-Vanilla AF

-'Leadership' does anything but lead

-Sexual discrimination is rampant

-Everyone throws one another under the bus

-Most people are disrespectful and mean-spirited

-No Culture whatsoever

-No HR department. I repeat, no HR department. No one.

-No growth opportunities/no development/no mentoring/no support for junior people

Advice to Management

To quote someone else who wrote a previous review: "At a minimum, women and minorities should feel safe at work." Get a grip, fellas. Enough with the stroke, I mean, soak sessions. The only great work coming out of that place is Unicef.

"Great job with plenty of exposure and experience. Unfortunate management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at 180LA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.) Plenty of exposure. Managing partners, Directors, and CFO are right next to you. You get to learn from the best and work on great accounts.

2.) Free food and parties

3.) AMAZING OFFICE right next to the Santa Monica Pier.

4.) Nice people that unfortunately left (mostly to 72 and Sunny ☀️)

Cons

There are plenty of situations that were indecent, sexist, derogatory, and racist. Advertising is fun and very informal, but there should still be line that can't be crossed. I should not be consistently hearing creatives and art directors talking about an employee's assets. I should not hear the "n" word at the office. It was inexcusable and unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Make HR approachable. While I was there, she seemed to be part of the problem-nobody approached her about serious issues since she was friends with most of the directors and managers in the office!

"Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 180LA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people. You can do good work if you're in with the right people. The work life balance is great, definitely a fun agency. You can come here and coast for a while if that's your thing.

Cons

If you get on the wrong side of the leadership, they'll make you suffer. I was lucky to escape this but I saw it happen to others. Watch out for petty behavior from leadership.

Advice to Management

The leadership is myopic and superficial. They only know how to follow industry trends, not lead.

"Creative"

I worked at 180LA full-time

Pros

Proximity to the beach is nice. A few cool people are probably still left. The snacks are pretty good.

Cons

Misguided, unethical motivations for creating work. The pressure to win awards is toxic and fuels internal politics. The ECDs are frauds.

Advice to Management

Fire all your creative leadership. Actually hire respectable people to oversee your talent. Stop making work for the soul purpose of winning awards.

10. "One of the best"

Former Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

CCO and Managing Partner you both respect and want to hang out with. All the depts are solid, perfect location, nice atmosphere, and one of the better work life balance places I've been.

Cons

Not as much room to move up as some places.

Advice to Management

I don't think they need any advice.

"So much potential being squandered."

Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at 180LA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart coworkers with top agency credentials.
    Amazing location and a work/life balance.
    Very few levels to fight through.
    Big name clients, and a small agency feeling.

Cons

Although it's a smaller agency, it doesn't seem like the staff is fighting to grow. Everyone seemed very content to do the minimum required.

Creative management is out of touch with the pulse of the agency. It's a small place, it shouldn't be hard to know your creatives.

Resources and employee resources aren't managed well. There was a lot of departures while I was at 180.

Advice to Management

You're down, but you're not out.

Stop resting on your laurels. Set a very high standard for the work on ALL levels.

Take time out with your creatives. Inspire them to do great work. Actually give a damn.

Fix HR and Resource MGMT. Make it a well oiled machine. Take that stress out of working at 180 and let the creatives stress over winning awards and doing world class work.