1901 Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Sonu Singh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I thoroughly enjoy working at 1901 Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would like to start by saying that this review is for a position at the admin/engineering level.

With that being said, I love working at 1901 Group. Many other job offers have come along, some even with higher pay, but I stay because I love our culture and I have great coworkers. I work with and learn from knowledgeable professionals both on my own team and the other teams. Everyone is always willing to help out if you're willing to learn.

Pros:
    -Startup culture
    -Laid back environment
    -Competitive compensation
    -Company paid training courses/certifications
    -Good insurance (health/dental/vision)
    -401k matching
    -Can work from home
    -Wonderful coworkers
    -Flexible schedule
    -Ample PTO
    -Flex time
    -Ample parking
    -Diverse projects/work
    -Lots of company sponsored social events
    -Free lunch/snacks/drinks
    -Listen to music while you work
    -Windows in the building, lots of natural light
    -Full kitchen with sink/microwave/fridge/toaster/coffee makers
    -Company sponsored volunteering (take time off of work to volunteer and still get paid)

Cons

I don't have a lot of complaints but no company is perfect.

-Workload can be heavy
    -On call schedule sometimes has you working off-hours
    -Customer demands/incidents sometimes have you working long hours
    -Upper management can sometimes be slow to get back to you
    -Initial job offers can be low-balls
    -Can be a disconnect/communication issues between Reston/on site employees and the Blacksburg Operations Office
    -Customers are not alway reasonable with their requests/demands
    -Somewhat disorganized internal infrastructure (though they're attempting to make it better)
    -Very open floor plan can be noisy (but the music helps)
    -Project managers sometimes have unreasonable expectations/timelines in regards to projects/workload

Advice to Management

Train, pay and treat your employees well. The recent changes in management throughout the company have already gone a long way towards generally improving morale. Continue to take care of your employees and they will continue to take care of you.

"Another Point of View"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well I would like to start by saying that we live in negative culture and I have read these reviews. Its apparent that people with gripes valid or not are the ones most likely to spend the time making there opinions public. They absolutely have that right. I would like to share my perspective and experience with 1901 as my interaction has been quite different than most of these post. I have been with the company 5 years at this point in time and in my second year there I was diagnosed with end stage renal failure . The company stood by me all the way through what I consider to be tragedy in my life. I will now list the thing and the people at 1901 did for me as not only an employee but as a person.
    1.They held a promotion that I was given during the time of recovery until i was well enough to return to work full time.
    2. HR was so kind and attentive to my needs during this period.
    3.I had one of the current VP's offer to donate me a kidney and man I had only know for about 2 years at the time.
    4.The CEO of company approached me directly and said "Don't worry about anything you will always have a job here" Then proceeded to tell me to call him directly if I needed anything at all. WOW! I was blown away in such a time of uncertainty . Thanks !
    As far as the work environment it would be an insult to call most of the people coworkers. They are friends some very good friends. I could never express my gratitude to several of them you know who you are.

I have had a great experience and intend continue my career with 1901. When most companies wold have found a way to not keep me around . They treated me like a family member.

Forever grateful!

Cons

I will not say things are perfect but what in life is.

3. "Not where you want to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at 1901 Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches every other Friday
    Health benefits

Cons

Disorganized
    No training provided
    Call center

Plenty has been said already, read through the reviews... caution: some are management 'padding'

Advice to Management

They aren't listening, so why bother?. Plenty had already been said....deaf ears. ..

"June 1st review nailed it"

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Blacksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Blacksburg, VA

I worked at 1901 Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get paid, get insured, find a new job

Cons

Burnout rate very high. This is indeed a sweatshop in terms of IT. Free lunches on Friday dont make up for the stress levels and lack of training here. The support desk juggles a ton of clients, many of them are irate and unreasonable. Essentially this company's philosophy is we can pay people in remote areas less then we would have to pay them in a large metro area. Don't expect promotions, dont expect guidance on how to troubleshoot unique issues, and don't expect any sort of training. Whoever wrote the June 1 2017 review wa6 spot on. CEO views you as a cog in his wheel, nothing more. H.R. will give lip service but not implement any improvements. Don't apply here unless you are truly desperate

Advice to Management

Nothing that hasn't already been posted. They won't listen anyway.

"A good company but management really needs some attention"

Current Employee - Service Desk in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Service Desk in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly, hard working co-workers
    great way to build experience and a starter for a career in IT
    opportunities to grow by experiencing hands-on daily tasks
    senior management always seeking better opportunities, listens to feedback.

Cons

Accepting more work and going live without hardly any preparation when dealing with the customer and how to handle their needs.
    lack of training
    a history of over-promising and under-delivering
    management focuses more on goals being met while paying very little attention to their employees and supporting them.
    limited training resources to employees seeking to better themselves
    many of the employees feel they are being over-worked lately and the lack of support desk analysts during the day is very limited.
    morale has been very low for the last few months

Advice to Management

pay more attention to your team and listen to their feedback. Be more engaged and involved in daily duties and their needs for support and escalation.
    focus more on improving interviews for possible candidates that have high potential and are eager to learn and grow.

"Look Elsewhere"

I worked at 1901 Group full-time

Pros

-Co-workers
    -Benefits are decent
    -Good intro for IT to put on a resume.

Cons

- The wrong people (with little to no experience) have been placed in management roles and have been a huge part of why so many intelligent, talented people have left his company. If you cannot trust and believe in your management team, then the entire foundation crumbles.

- Promotions are simply non-existent. The company preaches their "promote from within" policy heavily, but often fails to advertise openings within the company to give all interested parties a chance to apply - but instead hand picks who they want to go into a new role and seems to be heavily based around favoritism instead of skill/knowledge/experience.

- Efforts and strong work ethic are rarely rewarded. Rather than buying lunch a couple times a month, focus needs to be placed on actually compensating strong employees in their annual pay. You cannot expect talented employees to stick around for free lunches. People need to be compensated and appreciated to stick around. If you are ever promised a raise - GET IT IN WRITING - so you have a leg to stand on when they start giving you the run-around.

-Training does not exist here. Expectations are very high with no preparation for a new employee or a new task. It is hard to succeed when given no tools for success.

-Morale is very low at this company. The general consensus is that people are overworked, underpaid - definitely a sweat-shop type atmosphere. It is very difficult to come into work everyday at this place because there is no happiness here. Often just stress, chaos, aggravation and disappointment.

-There is a huge disconnect between the Reston and Blacksburg offices. Reston management seems to only be given the "good details" of every situation and are out of touch with some of the real issues going on.

- Aggressive, frustrating environment to work in. If your successes were praised nearly as much as your mistakes are lambasted, it could be a much happier place to be.

Advice to Management

-Reston management: stop making planned visits to Blacksburg so they have time to "clean" everything up before you get there. Show up some time, unannounced, sit down and speak with your different teams of employees, your backbone. Get to the root of the problems before they get any more out of hand.

-Stop promoting favoritism! Just because an employee is fun to hang out with outside of work does not make them qualified over all the other talent in the office to be promoted. If you have an open position - ADVERTISE it. Give an equal opportunity to all employees interested in growing.

-Compensate your employees. Parties, lunches, get-togethers do not matter to someone trying to pay their bills and establish their career in IT. There are many gems that have come and gone from this company who would have stuck around had their pay reflected their efforts and hard work. Pay attention to the people leaving - they aren't leaving to go somewhere with more free lunches, they are leaving for more money and because they're exhausted from consistent grueling work with no reward.

-Stop giving employees the run-around when it comes to raises and promotions. If you promise something, be as good as your word and follow through. You are destroying the faith in this company's promises. Don't promises a raise and then make an employee wait for 3 weeks or 3 months to see it.

- You've had plenty of opportunities with great, hard-working people to mold into what you need, but you often let those people slip through the cracks because you overload them in work and pay more attention to people there just collecting a paycheck.

- The trust is very very broken at this place. Employees do not trust in their management teams. Management teams are lost and have no direction. The entire structure needs to be reevaluated and place responsibility in the right hands.

This was a great company to be at a while back with lots of promise for the future. Morale was through the roof, people were happy to come to work, people had hope for their careers and future in IT. At this point, I could never honestly recommend someone to work for this company. Too much damage has been done and not enough repair. You had very loyal, hard-working, driven, talented people working for you that have lost their faith in this company and have realized they can be appreciated, paid and happy somewhere else.

"Not the way to go"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare, Theoretical room for advancement.

Cons

Major lack of structure or productive training. The upper level support teams are expected to support software and products they know little about. Working here is a sink or swim situation, three very good technicians have quit in approximately a month. Initially I had hoped to advance, now I just want to get out. This assembly line approach to IT that the CEO came up with isn't working. We are people, intelligent ones at that, and other options come up. Most of us have skills that go beyond pulling a theoretical factory lever all day (be it a physical one or theoretical) Job seekers: I'd look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop posting bogus positive reviews on here to pad the ratings and address the problems at hand. You're loosing some real talent.

"Loosing talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group (More than a year)

Pros

Nice fellow employees to work with

Cons

Two key people just quit due to false promises of promotion and sweatshop approach to supporting clients.Both were key players in technical support of customers. Serious lack of training or company structure. Support of clients without solid knowledgebase. Team lead is unable to influence
    Company management in a positive direction and desires to step down.

Advice to Management

Serious changes are necessary NOW or more people will leave

9. "A good place to work"

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The executive team is visionary, looking to the future. Growth potential for folks who make the effort to improve/expand their abilities. Average employee here is very sharp.

Cons

Recent rapid growth has put the company in a bit of a space bind; there are plans in the works to resolve, but growth will continue before a solution can be found.

Advice to Management

Add to your executive team a person with a more current, day-to-day job focus, who can handle such things as space arrangements before they become a problem.

"Nice company, terrible management"

Current Employee - Network Operations Associate in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Network Operations Associate in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at 1901 Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential for growth within the company, nice co-workers.

Cons

Terrible management, very big lack of planning, everything bad thing that happens is a disaster, management will not hesitate to throw someone under the bus and fire them if it will make the customer happy (don't expect any kind of loyality).

Advice to Management

Hire some people with actual management experience to manage (especially on the Service Desk).