KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

1904Labs Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2021

4.7
1904Labs Managing Director  Sean Walsh (no image)
Sean Walsh
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Culture Matters

Apr 14, 2021 - Director, Business Development in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent, treats people like people, you have control over your career

Cons

Nothing specfic. There are some advantages that comes with a larger company, like the cost of benifts, but you typically lose the culture.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work and grow your career

Dec 2, 2020 - Web Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

1904labs has a big growth culture that allows individuals to be apart of changing and growing the company. As a full stack web developer, there are a lot of opportunities to learn new things and advance your expertise. I really have enjoyed my co-workers and have great respect for the way everyone approaches their work (always striving to do their best and make things better than where they found it). 1904labs also values radical candor and for individuals to be able to address things they are unhappy with and to be able to receive feedback which I very much appreciated.

Cons

The engineers at 1904 are some of the best I have ever worked with. However, due to the nature of client driven work sometimes their skills aren’t really highlighted because of political compromises at external companies. And it’s really hard for good engineers to build things of lesser quality because of arbitrary, non-logical reasons.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Great People

Mar 8, 2021 - Mobile Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a joy to work with my coworkers, and there's also no fear in being honest with each other and leadership.

Cons

HCDAgile isn't always implemented in client projects.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Innovative company

Jan 13, 2021 - Full Stack Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

5% of time to work on personal projects

Cons

No clear pathway to pay raises above 10% increments.

1904Labs Response

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your review! I agree that a lot of folks enjoy our Innovation Hours (10%) as built into their work week. I see on here you are a "former" employee...as I'm sure we've said a lot...please stay in touch with us and hope to see you back with us in the future!!!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Start-up mindset and an open-source culture

Sep 9, 2020 - Chief Information Officer (CIO) in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Start-up mindset and an open-source culture that supports each person's individual career growth. 1904labs was also built with a work-life balance mindset and truly believes that people are at the center of what we do.

Cons

More specialized positions have been created to support the company's growth over time. Despite these layers, the company strives very hard to keep things as flat and open as possible.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I have worked.

Jul 23, 2020 - Agile Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The humans I get to work with here are wonderful and build large amounts of trust with each other. Paired with the collective talent, our teams each have the opportunities to become powerhouses.

Cons

Focusing sales to only Saint Louis companies restrict the type of projects we have the opportunity to work on. (This is something that is changing.)

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Proud to be part of 1904labs!

Apr 7, 2019 - Agile Engineering Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining the team I made sure to do my research. I went through the company’s website, read all of the online reviews, and gathered any bit of information I could get my hands on. I wanted to be sure I was headed down the correct path. Honestly, at first I thought it seemed too good to be true. Luckily, I was wrong and it is truly as good as it appears! 1904labs is a great company, with a fun, friendly, and positive culture (ie. “no brilliant jerks” policy). People manage to have both high IQs and EQs. It’s an environment of low egos, team-oriented mindsets, and people who are always looking for opportunities to help each other. Personal and professional growth are core values that are embedded in the culture. For instance, the company provides employees time (4 hours weekly) and finances (a decent personal budget) to dedicate towards their goals. In my opinion, it’s an excellent example of a company putting their money where their mouth is. Frequent retrospective reflection is rooted in 1904labs’ culture and they continuously pursue improvement in all aspects of the business (eg. personal, team, company and client). Teams are relatively small and autonomous and practice Agile methodologies hand in hand with a Human Centered Design approach that emphasizes the customer in order to “build the right thing, the right way”. Great work/life balance and a flexible work from home policy. and the list goes on… :-) If you are 100% dedicated to serving clients in the best way possible, this is the place for you!

Cons

Salary is competitive however, 401k match can be a bit better. Other than that if anything pops up in the future, I have no doubt it will be respectfully reviewed.

8. 5.0

Love 1904labs

Apr 1, 2019 - Full Stack Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at 1904labs for almost a year now and I love working here. We work in small teams as consultants for large companies, solving interesting technical problems. Here's the deal: you need to be a self starter, a hard worker, and be committed to growing and learning to thrive at 1904labs. I have a great work-life balance. All the people I've had the opportunity to work with here are smart and capable. The culture emphasizes professional growth and the company allocates time throughout the week for employees to work on themselves or their businesses. I enjoy working in the Cortex district. The benefits are good, and the salary and vacation time is competitive. The principle values of 1904labs come from Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and they aren't just empty words but are truly embraced and followed from the top down. So many people who work here lead tech groups, volunteer for charitable causes, and own start-ups. I honestly can not imagine there are many better places to work in STL.

Cons

As with any consultancy, you don't have control of the clients or projects you work on. So, if you're not crazy about the work or the tech stack, there's not much to be done about that. The structure is flat, so there's not a clear path to 'level up'. No differentiation in titles for employees, not sure if this is really a con but may not be great if you want to move.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent Workplace But No Longer Small

May 18, 2020 - Full Stack Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

1904 treats its people right, compensates fairly and has interesting work to do if you're on a good project.

Cons

1904 is no longer the small, agile and close knit group of passionate consultants it once was. I prefer smaller companies with less bureaucracy (client projects usually have tons of that already) and more freedom/flexibility. With the hyper growth of the company, some of those things have been lost.

10. 5.0

Best Job in the World

Apr 4, 2019 - Data Person
    Business Outlook

Pros

"It seems we often find the destination is never where we expected." That's the truth. A year ago I was working at a job that did not enjoy but thought it was stable and would be worth the opportunities if I stuck it out. Two weeks later I was laid off and forced to look for another job. A month after that I was starting at the best job in the world #1904labs. Why? The leadership and the people. The leadership is extremely focused on creating a "culture of growth" that allows folks to improve themselves professionally and personally. They are supportive, with time during the work day and financially, of employees working on ways to improve themselves, the community, or the company, and of employees starting their own businesses and start-up ventures. Leadership is constantly asking for feedback from employees which they review and act on, when appropriate. Every person at 1904 is intelligent, interested in learning, innovative minded, and an enjoyable person to work with. I learn something from everyone I work with, and there is no one at 1904 that I would not want to work with on a project

Cons

Small company trying to grow (this is also a Pro), and so the future is uncertain (not really a Pro).

Viewing 1 - 10 of 35 Reviews