1on1 Learning with Laptops Reviews | Glassdoor

Heni Neman

1. "Good Training"

Current Employee - Tutor in Inglewood, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Inglewood, CA

I have been working at 1on1 Learning with Laptops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well and give you very detailed training on all the paperwork. They also give you websites where you could get tutoring material. The training is way more detailed than other companies and they give you a wide range of students you can tutor.

Cons

The only con is that there is lots of paperwork.

Advice to Management

Have online videos for tutoring tips.

2. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to choose your own schedule

Cons

After your 8 hour training day (which is unpaid), there is zero face to face contact with anyone from the company. All communication is done through phone calls and e-mails (which means leaving voicemails and not getting answered back). $80 is deducted from your fist paycheck for fingerprints and a background check.
    You get paid by turning in a ton of paperwork. If theres anything wrong with it they send it back and don't pay you. If you quit before completing hours with a student you have to pay for the remaining hours. Refusal to do so results in them suing you. It was months before I saw my first paycheck and by that time I was over it. You do not get paid for prep time or paper work. I was better off working at an after-school program that paid half as much as these guys.

Advice to Management

Resign

3. "Impossible to communicate with"

Former Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops as a contractor

Pros

The kids are really sweet, and they actually want to learn. Some of them have quite a lot to catch up on, so if you can be really patient and encouraging, it seems to help with their confidence as well.

Cons

I worked down in the San Diego County area, and I found communicating with the main company in L.A. impossible. It's all done over the phone or email, since they don't have leaders actually stationed down here, so actually talking to a human being was a rare experience. I sent many unanswered emails and left many unanswered messages.

There's also a fee if you quit, where YOU have to pay the COMPANY for any hours you didn't complete. Which would be fine if it didn't feel like they were actually trying to get you to quit, by being so unhelpful.

That said, it might be a completely different and better experience if you're working for them up in L.A. where you're have contact with the company face-to-face. It definitely didn't work for me from down here, though.

Lastly, if you're working for them down in the San Diego area, you really should know how to speak Spanish. They don't require it, but since I speak very little Spanish, it was difficult to communicate with the clients and kids as well.

Advice to Management

Your employees need to be able to communicate with you. It might help to have a small office in other areas of the state other than L.A. where you have people working for you.

"Scam"

Current Contractor - Independent Contractor, Tutor in Fontana, CA
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor, Tutor in Fontana, CA

I have been working at 1on1 Learning with Laptops as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A little extra money a week, but a lot of unpaid labor. Ability to claim a lot of things on taxes as an independent contractor. However, not much more than as an educator anyway, so basically you get gas and meals going between one job and another.

Cons

No protection and very little support as a worker, since you aren't a worker. Mediocre communication from the PCC who is apparently horrifically overworked. Most communications have threats to dock pay by 10% sprinkled through them. Tutors don't get paid for paperwork, time on tutor portal, or in preparing lesson plans, so you will realize your actual pay is about a third to half of what you are actually earning. You think, oh, just a few hours a week for some extra pay, but this is really only if you have things dialed in and don't need to prep or figure out how to do something through their website. (This involves digging through a large photocopied packet to figure out how to do it, followed by angry emails from your PCC threatening to dock your pay). The quality of the tutoring varies widely based on the skill of the tutor. I happen to have experience and background as an educator, but I feel for the kids who get stuck with the nose-picking green kids who were in orientation with me. The contracted source for tutor materials is not helpful, and you often find you can't even use the materials that come up unless you pay for them. Most tutors learn pretty quickly to go straight to google to find materials, but again, most of the best sources cost money, so this is an expense cutting into the meager pay (though it is a tax write off). It's supposed to be "learning with laptops" but you rely on the student to have wifi, and if not, the PCC will suggest you pay for wireless hotspot on your phone (!!) which will cost you $$ per month and is not worth it. I find I'm pretty much always just printing out exercises. Having friends in the District, I know how much money the parent company is getting for this "service" from the federal government. It's a total corporate welfare scam. They are basically outsourcing highly-variable quality tutoring -- entirely dependent on "independent" tutors who have little-to-no support, and little actual training or skill in tutoring. There is no corporate interest in actually having students improve, with no quality control. There has never been a communication about student improvement, or lesson plans, or quality of materials. You aren;t going to expect a bonus or pat on the back for a student improving 50 or 75% over his pretest because they don't care, and the guy who ran the orientation said as much. The only thing they care about is that paperwork is filled out properly in blue ink so they can get their money from the federal government.

Advice to Management

Hire tutors for real, pay them properly, and offer more realistic tutoring support so that so much tutor time isn't wasted in paperwork and prep. And for chrissake, cut the constant threats to dock pay. That works with snot-nosed kids who don't know any better, but the best, most experienced tutors resent it and see through it as a scam.

6. "It was an interesting perspective working for a company funded by the No Child Left Behind Act"

Former Contractor - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked working on my own and making my own schedule within their limits.

Cons

Some children shouldn't even be in this program and I find it to be a waste of money that can be put towards something useful.
    I also learned that other competing companies paid 61% more than this company.
    The actual amount of work put through preparation is not actually paid for, so $17/hr barely makes minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Management was wonderful, but management should also try to have a registry of tutors who are in the field who might have the same schedule and meeting place to allow for better help. Thankfully, I was able to find the few that were already tutoring in the library.

7. "It's a great place to know what kind of worker you are..."

Former Contractor - K-12 Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - K-12 Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Experience in managing your own time, keeping records of EVERYTHING. They will not be babysitting you, and that is why you have to make sure all the paperwork is filled out properly and you will be fine.

Cons

They are very unorganized, so it is up to you to keep records. After a month of working with them, I sent my paperwork so that I could get paid and THEY lost my files. I know this because I received and email stating they HAD received my paperwork. Long story short they did not what to pay me but I had a copy of everything I did that month and they really had no choice but to pay up.

Advice to Management

Change the business plan, I know you are a private tutoring company and the goal is profit BUT stop firing and hiring student every month.

8. "Gain experience and get out!"

Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops (Less than a year)

Pros

You are not micro managed and it's a great place to build work experience.

Cons

Company does not seem to have established a thoughtful business plan. They are constantly changing their company policy's literally form one hour to the next. However, the worst part of working at this establishment are the broken promisses in commission and pay rate. You are left holding your breath every pay day, hoping they managed to get your pay right.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and clients. Social media and forums such as this will be your demise.

9. "It's fine."

Current Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL

Pros

Get a laptop, $19/hr, Good support from staff. Can work independent.

Cons

Not much, just lots of paperwork.

10. "Busy, yet great place to work for!"

Former Employee - Youth Activity Leader
    Former Employee - Youth Activity Leader

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops part-time

Pros

My contact person was very good at what at he did. Every time I called him with questions he would answer without complaining and always with a positive attitude. Although we were in contact by phone and email, he never left me with unanswered questions

Cons

Bonding with students, I developed good relationships with my students and miss them.

11. "There were some good days, and then there where bad days."

I worked at 1on1 Learning with Laptops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good, and helping the students grow in their academics.

Cons

No one to talk to, missing paperwork.