1st Ayd Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Thomas R Schreiner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"My experience with 1st Ayd"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product acceptance in marketplace. Residual income from sales efforts. Freedom to grow client base at your pace. Great training program with video's and monthly meeting which gives innovative sales tips from top sellers. Many area's to specialize in and become a real pro. Little direct competition.

Cons

No cons for me that would be deal breaker but where to specialize may increase sales anxiety.

Advice to Management

For a producing sales rep (one who is opening new accounts consistently) the cold call criteria should allow full payment ($10) of cold call for first six months without quota criteria as this would produce a more consistent income while also increasing sales. It gives the rep the benefit of control over short term income projections.

2. "Watch your back"

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time

Pros

Have a decent line of products at a competitive price

Cons

Have to many products. Management does not support a new salesman. They have an 80% failure rate of new sales people. They change the rules if it helps them.

Advice to Management

Your present compensation plan for new sales people needs to be changed.

3. "Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is the closest to owning your own business. You build and keep your customer base without limits to your income.

Cons

Too many people get to comfortable and loose their drive to keep building. You get out of it what you put into it.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging growth

"Good company. Good products."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saginaw, MI

I worked at 1st Ayd (More than a year)

Pros

The company's president, Tom Shreiner is an outstanding example of what a leader should be. They give you all the tools you need to succeed. The product line is immense. Territory boundaries are limitless. I had a a first class manager (Pat Boomgard). This will be one of your keys to success with this company. Upside earning potential is without limits. The senior management group is filled with very quality individuals, from accounting, to purchasing, marketing, etc. The distribution warehouse is run by some extremely capable people, as well (Miquel and others). Distribution's efficiency is second to none.

Cons

Freight rates can sometimes be a hurdle, depending on where your territory is situated. Some of the office staff tend to stay at an arm's length from sales until you have proven yourself. It would seem the history of high sales turnover is partially responsible for this. Sales support, however, is very good. Ask for help and you will get it, just don't always expect a big smile on the other end of the phone.

Advice to Management

The only reason I left was for personal (family) obligations. 1st Ayd does not make accomodations for part-time sales personnel. I needed to go from full-time to part-time (for an undetermined period of time), with the goal of returning full-time. It would be nice if arrangements could be made to have part-time sales people. I had a number of large pieces of business that I had to give-up on. Had I been allowed to stay on part-time, quota would have eventually never been an issue. Other than that, I really enjoyed the job, culture and product line.

"This is the company I should have been working for years ago"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Grand Haven, MI
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Grand Haven, MI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is all structured around a salesman's lifestyle and focuses on what matters and does not waste effort on things that are not important. You are not constantly reporting on your every step to justify your existence. Your sales are your proof of your efforts! I have been blessed with fantastic pay, close to $80k my first year and I just made $8500 my 15th month.

Cons

You are left with many tools and it is up to you to ask if you need help (ask your Supervisor they want you to succeed). Commission sales careers take time to build but you will never be asked or made to change territories.

Advice to Management

Focus on growth like you have been so we can continue to be as competitive as possible in the marketplace. Way to go!

6. "Outside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide cold call, new customer incentives while you build a book of business

Cons

Many products to get familiar with. There is no sales structure on how to conduct business

Advice to Management

Your provide quality product knowledge and good building block compensation to start. You need to focus on the new reps close to see that they are now specializing. They should focus on the basics of face to face cold calling with qualifying prospects to do business with.

"No direction=Few sales=No job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good product, somewhat competitive pricing, free samples to customers, flexibility in pricing(after the account is opened), many types of businesses to call on, good potential if given enough time

Cons

1st Ayd is mostly unrecognizable to the market and most have never heard of them. So putting an unrecognizable company with an unknown sales rep out in a territory without some back up is a recipe for failure. They need to have a manager ride with a new sales rep the first or second week, especially if the rep is new to the industry. I had one manager that promised to ride with me in the second week, but then he wanted to hold off until I made a sale?????? That's why I need you???? Never saw him after I made sales. The other manager told me to call on one type of business. After I did that for a few days he said actually I needed to call on another type of business. Once I did that he said really the type of business I was calling on first was the one I should be calling on. Great direction. So given that uphill battle I was told I needed to open 6 new accounts in the first 4 weeks. This is a relationship based selling business and you don't form relationships on the first or 2nd visit. Even in 1st Ayd's training they tell you it typically takes 5 visits to a business to get a sale. So their training contradicts their quota.They do not give enough samples. They tell you to give out 4-6 samples per cold call and they want 15-20 cold calls a day......which could be 600 samples in a week. They don't give even close to that many out. I was into my 3rd week with plenty of leads going on but no new accounts open and the owner calls me is wondering what the problem is. I told him I had some stuff working and I would be opening accounts soon. His suggestion was to beg my new clients for their business because of all the heat I am taking from my superiors. Seriously?? Given all of that, I opened 5 new accounts in 5 weeks, had a repeat sale in my 6th week, had a few more new accounts on the verge of opening and I was getting really excited with it...... when they decided to let me go. I also had several personal contacts/friends/family that are in positions at their company to do business with 1st Ayd that I never got to. I was waiting to see what kind of company they were before I involved my friends. Good thing. Oh and figure out how to make freight easier to deal with. They want to quote the price without freight and then deal with that issue after the fact. A lot of time freight priced them out of contention. No salary or draw

Advice to Management

See cons

8. "Interesting concept......challenging to get started...."

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pricing is decently competitive. Lots of places to sell to. Encouraged to give out samples.

Cons

Need 3 months of personal capitol to get through to making some $.

Advice to Management

Provide more cash flow up front.

"Independent Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative In My Third Year in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products to sell and an owner who wants you to succeed and will help you get there.
    Provides you with sales samples and an owner who is willing to bring in new items to help you sell and even lets you set up local companies to drop ship products to be more competitive. I was able to sell and have bulk oil delivered locally to many accounts. Thanks Tom.

Cons

No benefits but you do have something to sell to everyone. Most products are in stock and are delivered within a day or two. I've often placed an order in the morning and had it delivered the next day. Customers have never complained about poor quality or asked for a replacement. Become an expert in the trades you call on and you will have customers for life.

Advice to Management

Continue to compensate for attending monthly meetings in Elgin, IL. These are extremely helpful and the manufacturers reps in attendance help educate us on their products and how to create new opportunities to grow existing and new business. I really appreciate Tom Schreiner's lead by example philosophy. He goes out everyday and does exactly what we do, he cold calls and also services his existing customers and knows exactly what we go through every day . This is a great opportunity for new or seasoned salespeople. Give Tom a call and arrange a visit at the facility. They make a lot of the products onsite and you will be amazed at how much committment there is at 1st Ayd to be a quality company for it's employees and our customers.

"Good Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's the perfect job if you can work on your own with little supervision. There are plenty of products to sell, basically unlimited product line. The management and office staff are willing to help with quotes, etc. This leaves the sales rep the time to sell, not doing paperwork. The management are all salespeople so they understand when there are struggles in the field. They will work with you in the field if needed as well.

Cons

It takes the right kind of self motivated person in the beginning as it is very challenging. Cold calling all day can be a grind while building up a customer base but that's the case with most sales jobs.