21CT Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Investigator"

Former Employee - Investigator
    Former Employee - Investigator

I worked at 21CT full-time

Pros

Fun Culture and gave lots of little perks to the employees. Coffee, food, snacks and beer Friday.

Cons

Poor leadership and didn't listen to experience but were more interested in money and getting a product to sale even if it didn't work.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hire. You hire them for a reason.

"Felt dirty"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at 21CT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New interesting technology in big data
    Thorny problems to solve in fraud and smart data scientists there

Cons

Felt dirty and a little bit like we were wasting a lot of money. I think since the state debacle they've probably learned (I hope) how to operate. It was weird.

Advice to Management

There seemed to be a big divide between the people in the know and those who were not, and a big mistrust of development from management and vice versa. so I think you need to learn how to manage and lead knowledge workers

21CT Response

May 26, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback. We are strong advocates of continuous self reflection and always looking for opportunities to learn, grow and strengthen our employee experience. We appreciate your... More

"Challenge of mixed agendas"

Current Employee - Product Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at 21CT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Efforts on the part of HR to build a positive culture were one of the best experienced in more than 20 years of professional experience. This resulted in an impressive array of team members - many of whom I would actively seek out to be on future teams.

Cons

Executive management suffers from "smartest people in the room" syndrome. That sought from team members at all levels is simply execution. Any debate / discussion that may have occurred came to be understood as largely pro forma as decisions almost invariably were pre-determined.

While this may have made for streamlined decision making it did not result in optimal outcomes. Further, the practice served to undermine the sense of being a valued team member. There was a clear delineation between those deemed trusted and therefore worthy of being listened to and those who were not.

Advice to Management

Leadership is not simply being in charge and making decisions. It is most importantly about being able to bring together a team of people and supporting them while guiding towards a collective objective. Leaders are most effective when able to coordinate, train and mentor individuals into a tightly organized team with a sense of purpose.

"Engineers and scientists at the company were driven and brilliant, but program and upper management has no clue."

Former Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Scientist in Austin, TX

Pros

The opportunity to set research direction, write proposals, win business, deliver systems to wonderful customers was hard for me to leave.

Cons

Management does not believe in delivering quality and has decidedly moved away from research and development as a focus to basic IT services, hiring people of less quality in the process. Since the goal of the company is to charge the government for every hour of your time, they make it very hard to take vacations or even holidays without making up the time sitting at a desk. The company is clearly not goals-oriented, but hours-oriented.

Advice to Management

To deliver quality software products, you must hire serious, technical people to lead the company and have fewer "directors" who are lawyers and non-technical administrators and reward technical excellence with bonuses and promotion.

21CT Response

Feb 26, 2013 – HR

Thank you for the feedback. While the strategic direction of the company has changed in recent years, we strongly believe that our team members are some of the best and brightest in the industry... More