KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 161 of over 175 reviews

4.2
23andMe CEO  Anne Wojcicki
Anne Wojcicki
Pros
  • "Scrappy startup culture, Encouragment for maintaining work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "23andMe is a mission-driven company and I find people are passionate about what we are trying to accomplish(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Another specific issue I've seen that might be due to growing pains is that there is not a clear advancement path for everyone(in 14 reviews)

• "Few come to mind, but retirement benefits (401k match) could be improved(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of 23andMe and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Dec 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Unlike some places I've worked in the past, where I've seen a lot of focus put on competitors and trying to copy what they've done - 23andMe thinks pretty differently. It's not just an early pioneer in the industry, the leadership team continues to think about what's the next big thing we can improve and how can we drive a sea change in personalized medicine - not just improve the existing system. 2. I've seen too many companies focus too much on the bottom line - where nearly every decision is made with that lens in mind. I don't get that sense at 23andMe at all. In fact, starting from the CEO, but also throughout the leadership team, I've noticed that the top priority is consistently to do the right thing for our customers - and the monetary aspects are important but always secondary. I think this is a critical key to successful companies. 3. The CEO is amazing. Every time she speaks I'm reminded why I chose 23andMe. It's clear that she truly believes in the mission and has the keen ability to inspire others and help them to share that vision. She practices significant transparency - doesn't just provide lip service to it. The efforts she goes to in order to maintain the culture are also noticed and greatly appreciated. 4. It's a culture where the company really cares about all it's employees and in return everyone truly cares for each other. It's a very family friendly culture and one that likes to have fun and celebrate wins together. There are dozens of groups for people who share interests and easy team lunches that really enable you to get to know more people across the company in great social settings. Everyone is accepted and treated equally - regardless of gender, position/stature, ethnicity, etc. My favorite element of the culture is how family friendly it is - I have 2 young daughter's and they have really loved all the company events. 5. There is truly boundless opportunity ahead - while the company has already achieved so much, there are so many things we can still do and so much exciting room to grow in ways that we've barely scratched the surface on.

Cons

It's a heavily regulated industry - and that can make it difficult to move as quickly as we'd like to at times. There are significant processes and controls in place to ensure compliance with regulations (which makes sense) but definitely reduces our ability to move as quickly as startups might in other spaces.

2. 5.0

Front desk Recpetionist

Jul 24, 2021 - Front Desk Receptionist
      Business Outlook

Pros

great culture and benefits! office in a fun location and the company has a great mission

Cons

work form home options could be better. micro managing often an annoyance

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

good for a short period of time

Apr 23, 2021 - Anonymous in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great overall company culture, lots of fun events and swag The challenges of 2020 were very much understood and appreciated by the company, and they were VERY supportive of employees Remote work 3 days a week is going to become the norm Free food in the office is healthy and delicious, other benefits are strong as well (other than financials benefits - those are weak)

Cons

As great as the overall company is, the individual teams certainly have issues. No objective data is used to determine raises/promotions, which leads many teams to be all about loyalty and favoritism. I don't think management is properly trained or supervised so many of them are ineffective, insecure micromanagers who clearly play favorites. 401k match is weak and stock options are expensive, no bonuses.

Continue reading
      9 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee

A great place to work

Aug 26, 2021 - Statistical Geneticist
      Business Outlook

Pros

supportive environment innovations are encouraged strong management

Cons

There were no significant cons.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent place to work, awesome CEO

Jul 12, 2021 - Director in South San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-amazing CEO, female role model - collegial, supportive work environment -managers focus on career development

Cons

-growing company taking on new responsibilities (therapeutics), which opens lots of opportunities but as well some growing pains

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Problems with career growth and culture

May 11, 2021 - Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

- One of the greatest datasets in the world - Good benefits - Lots of SWAG

Cons

- Culture pretends to be great when it isn’t across all the teams. Some teams have had no team building activities for a few years (before and during covid) - Encouraged to work outside of regular hours/vacation to keep up with others on the team who do the same, admonished if not - Not clear guidelines for promotion so it’s really up to managers and how much they favor you- not the work or the impact of the work you have done - No room for new ideas or new projects from individual employees - Lots of reshuffling of teams and managers

Continue reading
      8 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great mission, good work life balance

Apr 16, 2021 - Designer in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I felt that people worked really hard but also had solid work life balance. 23andMe really leads with science and it’s refreshing to work for a tech company that still stays true to its roots of being mission and science driven.

Cons

It’s a regulated environment so it does come with its share of constraints, but for the most part, I think the company is handling it very well.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

Best biotech company in Bay Area

Apr 12, 2021 - Research Associate in Mountain View, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best culture of any job I've had in my career; Anne is amazing and this is truly such an amazing place to work

Cons

It may be a little challenging to grow within research, but I hear that's changing for the better

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Great place to work

Apr 2, 2021 - Research Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Fun, supportive, inclusive environment -Interesting and unique business

Cons

-Work/life balance has suffered while working from home -Sometimes confusing how to develop in career

10. 4.0

Good company to be part

May 17, 2021 - Senior Manager, Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment and perks Collaborative attitude across the different function groups Extremely smart people Dedicated and inspiring leadership by the founder

Cons

Significant turnover at the senior leadership level resulted in a more politicized environment and became less collaborative

Viewing 1 - 10 of 161 Reviews