23andMe Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anne Wojcicki

1. Featured Review

"Can't say enough awesome things"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

You're constantly surrounded by really helpful, smart, genuinely nice, and good hearted people. Solving tough challenges in the industry, definitely engaging. The benefits and long list of perks are great - you certainly feel like you're cared for and taken care of. The office is very friendly, and a really nice space - especially the roof terrace.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Some teams could stand to communicate with other teams more.

"Dream job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Making history! 23andMe is on the cutting edge of direct-to-consumer genetics. We're the first and only company to have FDA authorization to return genetic reports directly to people without a prescription and without a doctor as a filter
    - Pioneering research. With over 2M customers (and growing!) of who >80% participate in research, the possibilities of making new discoveries is incredible.
    - Therapeutics. We are building a world-class team to discover medicines based on human genetics.
    - The people and workplace. Colleagues are passionate about what they do, everyone believes in the company's vision and mission. The office space in downtown Mountain View is super convenient and a comfortable environment to work in.
    - Leadership. It's not perfect (see Cons below) but there's a clear effort to address challenges and a commitment to improve.

Cons

This is indeed my dream job at my dream company, but that doesn't mean it's all roses. I don't think the cons here are unique to 23andMe so much as any workplace in a similar phase of growth:

- Resource constraints: There is more work to do and it's all "high priority" but there aren't enough people or hours in the day to do it all.
    - Growing pains: As teams grow and new roles are created, responsibilities become fuzzy and it takes time, patience, and some tough discussions to work through who is doing what. Some teams find it hard to let go of responsibilities they once had even though they no longer have any bandwidth to do those things which frustrates stakeholders who are waiting on those things.
    - Culture: As teams grow, they are developing their own culture and work style and this is creating some clashes. Do we really need to use JIRA for *everything*? Engineers would say "yes" but other teams disagree.

Advice to Management

- Continue with the Town Halls and make the employees' voices heard.
    - Continue to refine and iterate on our priorities. It's getting better but there's room to improve.
    - Need some more company-wide team building to help reduce the growing frictions (listed in the Cons above). Thursday team lunches aren't quite doing it.
    - A little more transparency about the Exec team changes.

"Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the environment-everyone is extremely genuine, smart, and friendly. management is very understanding and open. Executives are transparent with everything going on in the company
    benefits-free gym, food every day, snacks, great health coverage, rooftop access, etc
    workspace-facilities does a phenomenal job at keeping everything extremely clean and fixes all issues ASAP. I don't feel like I'm sitting a boring desk job all day, it's a fun place to be

Cons

Traffic through downtown mountain view can suck and the train can be kind of loud (I cannot think of a legitimate con, everything is awesome here)

Jan 30, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Go team! Happy you're happy at 23andMe. Thanks for taking the time to share your great experience.

"Amazing In Every Way"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I even begin? I truly believe that this is a very unique company in the valley, not just in terms of product, but in the culture and quality of the workforce who make up the company. Every day I'm surrounded by people who are passionate, incredibly intelligent, driven, and overall a pleasure to work with. I initially sought out and joined 23andMe because I'm excited about what they're doing in the consumer genetics space, but I will be staying for a long, long time because of how fantastic the culture is, from top to bottom.

Specifics?

* Plentiful free food, plus a stocked beer fridge.
    * Rational project management (no artificial deadlines, and an emphasis on code quality)
    * Lots of transparency and openness from upper-management
    * Again, the people. Every day I love who I'm surrounded by.
    * No politics, or at least nothing egregious. Coming out of a company that was overrun with political fiefdoms, it's an incredible breath of fresh air to be in an environment like this.
    * Location couldn't be better. Right on Castro St in downtown Mountain View. Right next to Caltrain and light rail. Getting lunch or heading to a restaurant right after work couldn't be easier.
    * Free 24/7 crossfit gym
    * Dog-friendly company.

Cons

I don't know, maybe that one day when the almond milk didn't get restocked? Seriously, there's nothing worth mentioning in this box.

Advice to Management

You've managed to foster an incredible culture at this company, and all I can ask is that you stay the course and keep doing what you're doing, because it's working.

Jan 30, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

"Come for the free food, stay for the great people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People! The people here are awesome. Employees' diversity of interests and friendliness make 23andMe a fun place to work. Office culture is very laid back and accepting. Dogs around the office are a lot of fun.
    Engineering managers - I like and respect both engineering managers I've had.

Cons

23andMe is a quickly growing company and one growth pain is that there is much non-domain-specific work to be done. Eventually, I would like to be solving more domain-specific problems.

Advice to Management

Anne, keep being awesome and helping to make this place feel special!
    Keep doing Feisty Friday on a regular basis - it's valuable.

May 21, 2016 – Principal Recruiting Partner

What is Feisty Friday?! As part of our goal to be transparent, we get together on Fridays to share information during lunch. Usually this means presentations with company updates and internal ... More

7. "Smart coworkers and amazing perks"

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A lot of smart and passionate people to work with; it's hard to find a workplace with such highly qualified individuals. Everybody I work with/around is very passionate about building great products.
    - Great perks from free snack/food, Yoga classes, fitness trainers, to rooftop happy hours.
    - Great long term business plan with the recent announcement of the therapeutics group.
    -Brand new office in Downtown Mountain View with amazing rooftop garden, and across the street access to Caltrain station.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great job, and always remember that the product should be the biggest priority.

8. "Amazing workplace and industry leader"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

- Inspiring and game-changing mission with a substantiated business model
    - More willing to invest in young talent than most biotechs
    - Respectful, intelligent, fun-loving colleagues/managers
    - People with whom I have worked genuinely love their jobs and give you their full attention and effort. I've worked in an environment with hard workers before, but it makes all the difference when they actually love what they do
    - Balanced lifestyle, which in my opinion is driven by our CEO. She values family, fitness, and fun - all of which are reflected in our company culture
    - Quality. The company does not cheap out on food catering, company swag, or company events/venues
    - Beautiful new office with multiple levels and rooftop deck on Castro St in Mountain View

Cons

- Promotion or career advancement is unclear

"An exceptional place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Highly skilled and passionate colleagues
    * Motivating work with a meaningful mission toward improving understanding of the human genome
    * The ability to engage in meaningful research on the largest database of genotyped and phenotyped individuals in the world
    * Exciting opportunities in the burgeoning fields of genomics in ancestry and health interpretation

Cons

* Many different potential projects and the rapidly-changing technological and regulatory landscapes sometimes make it difficult to prioritize company goals

"Best environment I've ever worked in"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No matter what area of the company, colleagues tend to be *highly* talented and capable in what they do. People tend to be almost over-qualified (educationally) for their job titles, with JDs, PhDs, MDs, MBAs, etc. spread throughout all the different divisions (and often where you wouldn't expect them). My observation has been that management takes its time in hiring the best of the best, and then follows with a hands-off approach to trust that those they hire are motivated and capable.

Cons

Because the organization is so flat, it's been hard for me to make out what a career path might look like over the coming years. That may or may not be an issue though.

"Insensitive and cold Hr Department"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Growing Industry
    Close to Free Way
    Great shuttle

Cons

Brief Training
    Poor communication from management
    Let go for no reason with no warning five days before Christmas

Advice to Management

Offer more intense training.
    Don't have a potential employee go through a rigorous hiring process only to decide you don't need their position after all after one week.