23andMe Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Anne Wojcicki

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Can't say enough awesome things"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

You're constantly surrounded by really helpful, smart, genuinely nice, and good hearted people. Solving tough challenges in the industry, definitely engaging. The benefits and long list of perks are great - you certainly feel like you're cared for and taken care of. The office is very friendly, and a really nice space - especially the roof terrace.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Advice to Management

Some teams could stand to communicate with other teams more.

23andMe Response

Jun 14, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Thanks for the review - love our roof terrace!

2. "Gem of a Company"

Current Employee - Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Up-front: I've worked in several other jobs prior to this one, so I have a ton of perspective. I'm not drinking anyone's Kool-Aid like I might have done early on in my career. My biggest concern in a job is overall happiness/work-life balance. Okay --
     here's the review: Work environment is exciting and compelling! It has to be one of the 'smartest' companies in the valley. You are surrounded by PhDs, Engineers, and other brilliant and motivated colleagues at all levels. There are also a number of wonderful benefits including flexibility, generous vacation/holidays, lunches, EV parking, CalTrain passes -- all of which contribute to overall happiness and a good vibe in the office. Don't overlook the roof-top deck and work-out facility with great classes. From a work-perspective, the company has a lot of pride in its mission and employees rally around that to help fuel the drive to succeed every day. Anne is a visionary leader and has a stick to her guns m/o that has helped her to achieve great success in the marketplace while maintaining a positive and thriving in-office culture. The company actively assesses culture and happiness and has ongoing goals to continue to meet peoples needs/wants even as the company continues to grow. The company is very successful in the marketplace and has a very positive outlook in the near and long-term.

Cons

Seriously struggling to come up with anything here, but I know there are a handful of people that might not feel as extremely positive as me. There is some low-level of turn-over, but I feel that is normal and less then it was at any of my previous jobs. I marked down "Career Opportunities" a couple of stars because I think - as with any "startup" - you never completely know if this will be a long-term position for you, but that can be part of the fun. In the Valley I think it's typical for there to be less of a focus on "career" at just one company. Either way, you will gain a lot of valuable industry experience here that you can put to use here or elsewhere as your career progresses. I also marked down compensation 1 star b/c again, as a startup, you take a bit of a hit on the $$$ in your paycheck - but you do get stock options and other really great benefits - as is typical in the Valley.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work :)

"Great company; bad crop of VP / Directors"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Hottest company in bio-tech space
    - Vesting options not RSUs
    - Perks at par with Google and alike
    - CEO(Anne) has pedigree and vision that is hard to match
    - CEO is true visionary. Lot of inspiration and learning at work
    - Pro women work place. Perhaps only place in valley where around 50% of the employees are female
    - Transparency is highest
    - Great place to start a career.

Cons

- Most of the directors are not worth the titles.
    - Engineers have ego of 1000 tons but produce sub standard software
    - Lot of slackers in engineering. If you want to work only few hours a day, perfect place to join.
    - Only scratching the surface of company's true potential
    - Front line staff shapes most of the decisions and directions. Directors and VPs have no active control but manage passively. Lots of lip service to most of the ideas / thoughts.
    - Growing without any regard for cost or efficiency. No critical thinking or smart decision making inside the company
    - Lots of politics and chums hidden in plain sight

Advice to Management

- Reward merits not loyalty. Some old guards are ruining the house.
    - Keep engineers in check. There are too many jerks in engineering who should be terminated not promoted with lead roles.
    - Software engineering is not rocket science nor are your engineers rocket scientists.
    - Introduce WFH policy. It will only increase your employee morale and productivity. Many teams have discretionary WFH. Not having a company wide policy causes employees under bad manager lose out on WFH.
    - Listen to the early signs. We are growing but make it a healthy growth not a cancerous one. Referrals are introducing Trojan horses.

4. "23andMe"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

I was a member of a lot of supposedly elite institutions before coming here, but 23andMe blows them all away. Everyone here is brilliant and great at what they do.

Cons

The product development process can be cumbersome. Different teams are getting better at working together to mitigate hurdles, but it's a work in progress.

5. "Amazing culture"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

A joy to go to work everyday.

Cons

None, it is a great place to be.

"Growing and Evolving Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Coworkers.
    - Free Lunch
    - Hot product that everyone is talking about
    - Career development is encouraged
    - Great working environment and Culture

Cons

- Benefits are not the best
    - In the middle of an Evolution so turn over is a little high

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and work to keep the soul of 23andMe intact as we grow into this new force.

7. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

Positive company culture, transparency, great leadership team.

Cons

Cant really think of any.

"Dream job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Making history! 23andMe is on the cutting edge of direct-to-consumer genetics. We're the first and only company to have FDA authorization to return genetic reports directly to people without a prescription and without a doctor as a filter
    - Pioneering research. With over 2M customers (and growing!) of who >80% participate in research, the possibilities of making new discoveries is incredible.
    - Therapeutics. We are building a world-class team to discover medicines based on human genetics.
    - The people and workplace. Colleagues are passionate about what they do, everyone believes in the company's vision and mission. The office space in downtown Mountain View is super convenient and a comfortable environment to work in.
    - Leadership. It's not perfect (see Cons below) but there's a clear effort to address challenges and a commitment to improve.

Cons

This is indeed my dream job at my dream company, but that doesn't mean it's all roses. I don't think the cons here are unique to 23andMe so much as any workplace in a similar phase of growth:

- Resource constraints: There is more work to do and it's all "high priority" but there aren't enough people or hours in the day to do it all.
    - Growing pains: As teams grow and new roles are created, responsibilities become fuzzy and it takes time, patience, and some tough discussions to work through who is doing what. Some teams find it hard to let go of responsibilities they once had even though they no longer have any bandwidth to do those things which frustrates stakeholders who are waiting on those things.
    - Culture: As teams grow, they are developing their own culture and work style and this is creating some clashes. Do we really need to use JIRA for *everything*? Engineers would say "yes" but other teams disagree.

Advice to Management

- Continue with the Town Halls and make the employees' voices heard.
    - Continue to refine and iterate on our priorities. It's getting better but there's room to improve.
    - Need some more company-wide team building to help reduce the growing frictions (listed in the Cons above). Thursday team lunches aren't quite doing it.
    - A little more transparency about the Exec team changes.

"Customer Care Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Reporesentative in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the environment-everyone is extremely genuine, smart, and friendly. management is very understanding and open. Executives are transparent with everything going on in the company
    benefits-free gym, food every day, snacks, great health coverage, rooftop access, etc
    workspace-facilities does a phenomenal job at keeping everything extremely clean and fixes all issues ASAP. I don't feel like I'm sitting a boring desk job all day, it's a fun place to be

Cons

Traffic through downtown mountain view can suck and the train can be kind of loud (I cannot think of a legitimate con, everything is awesome here)

23andMe Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Principal Recruiting Partner

Go team! Happy you're happy at 23andMe. Thanks for taking the time to share your great experience.

10. "Great place to work!"

I worked at 23andMe full-time

Pros

Smart, passionate people who put ego aside to acheive their shared goals.

Cons

Regulatory environment means big changes can come without warning - can be stressful.