24 Hour Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Roussos

1,622 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be challenging (in 46 reviews)

• Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by (in 80 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Constant Change, Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Coworkers are wonderful
    -Office environment is casual, fun
    -Growth and development opportunities

Cons

-Leadership lacks strategy and focus

2. "Excellent Company & Amazing Team!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Our Company CORE values ...we stand by our mission and do so with integrity and passion
    - Inclusive & Diverse Team ...an incredible fitness family
    - The ability and opportunity to help change lives every day

Cons

I have been with 24 for almost 18 years and absolutely love this conpany. I would recommend 24 as a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Continue the great work! Amazing company & incredible workplace!

3. "General Manager"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time

Pros

Great vision and plan in place to improve treatment of our team members and members. Prepares you for all rolls and levels of leadership. Free membership to support well being. Great wellness philosophy .

Cons

Compensation does not always add up to level of work requirements. Some instability in identity as a organization at times. Heavy workload. Need better Onboarding for new hires

Advice to Management

Continue to stay connected with the field employees...the answer to growth is in the every day grind in clubs.

4. "Self driven employees a must"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time

Pros

Lots of experience to draw on
    New people to talk to
    Self made paycheck

Cons

Cleaning the gym after the members
    Opportunities for advancement somewhat limited
    Corporate rules and policies

5. "General Manager Review"

Current Employee - General Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

24 Hour Fitness provides a supportive and developmental experience as a General Manager. While every fitness company struggles to keep pace with a rapid and ever changing industry, 24 Hour Fitness does well at sticking to what works and providing relevant tools to their leaders to move forward with business. The company does a good job of eliminating failed strategies or tools that are no longer relevant. All my leaders have lead with integrity and passion as well as great business acumen. Compensation is very competitive compared to several other industry leaders. 24 Hour Fitness has amazing core values around fitness. Employee truly strive to live out the brand.

Cons

Be ready to zig and zag. This business is always changing and if you can't adapt you will not feel comfortable.

Advice to Management

Continue to prioritize investing in not only GMs but in our DH's. Employees are the most important part of our business, even more so than our members. If we have the employee piece right, our members will be always benefit.

6. "Meaningful work with great friends"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, values and purpose.

Cons

Benefits within the industry are good, but compared to many other companies fall short. Work life balance can be challenging.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company’s vision for expansion and their belief in their product is inspiring. They are currently evolving in the digital world and adding jobs nationwide.

Cons

Upper management can be tough and extremely micromanaging. With this company it’s one company one way, which can be a good and bad thing, there is no room for your own style. Work life balance is also challenging, this job is not made for family life.

Advice to Management

If you maintain the company’s wishes and follow their instructions you will be okay. Clear your schedule, you will be working a lot.

8. "Former Master Trainer"

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time

Pros

Set your own hours. Develop great working relationships with clients. Sense of pride and shared accomplishment when clients achieve their goals.

Cons

Constrained to offering packages determined by 24 Hour. Rates determined by number of sessions serviced, as opposed to demonstrated knowledge and/or experience. Can be tough to build an initial stable of clientele which can result in inconsistent paychecks initially.

I also would add as a former employee that I believe 24 Hour skims way too much from their trainers, especially given their rates per training session. This is why most all of their best trainers eventually leave, take a decent amount of their clients, and start their own businesses.

Advice to Management

Favoritism. I went through 4+ fitness managers and all developed biases towards the training staff. This was most frustrating when the same trainers would be given new clients because of said bias. Other times it seemed as though some trainers were given more leeway or just weren't being held to the same standard as the rest. Other than these issues, I generally appreciated my managers, and always felt I could go to my club manager with anything if I truly needed to.

9. "Personal Trainer"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time

Pros

Personal Trainers can establish a solid base of clients to train and earn excellent pay. There is a structured on-boarding program for newly hired trainers to help them build their initial business. Clubs have a large member base fro which to attract clients. 24 Hour Fitness also sells PT with memberships so these clients are distributed to trainers as well.

The pay is competitive and the career growth opportunities are great!

Cons

There was a concern with the compensation plan for personal trainers, but that is being replaced by the end of 2017 so it is no longer an issue.

Advice to Management

Great job listening to your team and fixing the problems that they surface. Keep adding more education for trainers and expand your programming to keep things fresh and fun for the members and team.

10. "Back after being gone 4 years and loving the changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Left the company as there were many cuts going on and didn't feel like management always had best interests of team members at heart. Decided to come back and wow what a difference. New management team and seems to be a real authentic effort underway to gain back trust.

Cons

Tough but demanding industry but with lots of motivation seeing people have their lives changed thru fitness

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep listening to front line team members!!

Showing 1,622 of 1,635 reviews