24 Hour Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
24 Hour Fitness CEO Chris Roussos
Chris Roussos

Pros
Cons
  • I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad (in 40 reviews)

• Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by (in 77 reviews)

1. "Service Representative/front desk"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free membership. Gym atmosphere. Connections.

Cons

Everything from management to pay. Management is terrible General Manager and Operations Manager they overwork you and they don't advocate for higher pay. Schedules are always messed up there's no one to relieve you when your shift is over. They pressure you into selling when their own numbers aren't met even though your individual goals have been exceeded.

Advice to Management

Take care of your team. Turn over rate wouldn't be so bad if you actually provided perks for employees.

2. "Unethical Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Ideal for those passionate about fitness and meeting new people.

- Free membership and discounted training sessions.

Cons

- Compensation: minimum wage for sales advisors with unrealistic commission structure; personal trainers have floor time hours deducted from their paycheck -- employees are put in a position to work off-the-clock, managers not only realize this but most encourage it.

- Labor Violations: besides working off-the-clock, unpaid OT and meal break violations occur regularly, especially for Kids Club attendants. Google "24 Hour Fitness employee lawsuits".

- Advancement: 24 speaks about four necessary criteria for promotion but it's all BS. Sales managers are routinely promoted to GM positions without hitting budget more than one time, missing their personal numbers and in many cases, openly doing unethical deals. Meanwhile, honest employees with proven financial results are overlooked.

- Diversity: you absolutely will be overlooked in favor of a less qualified, African-American candidate.

- Feedback: you will be marginalized and face retaliation for speaking up. DMs and RVPs don't want honest feedback from club management, that's why promotions flop, members leave and employees quit. Employee engagement surveys are supposed to be anonymous but oddly, your employee number attaches itself to your survey and is visible in the browser's address window, so many are afraid to complete them. No exit interviews either -- employees of over 10 years have resigned and nobody in HR cared enough to interview them.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews. Take action.

"Don't Train here"

Former Employee - Master Trainer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free gym membership, entry level experience.

Cons

poor management, trainers aren't educated, glorified sales job, they lie about compensation.

Advice to Management

Quit

4. "hahaha don't do it"

Former Employee - Child Care in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Child Care in Austin, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a free membership to 24 hours and a discount on their supplies/clothes.

Cons

I worked in child care and omg that was rough. The kids are ages from 6 months - 12 years.

Advice to Management

Stop being so inflexible with hours each week. Let people take a Friday off without questioning if it was worth hiring them.

5. "Criminally inept management"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Springfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Springfield, NJ

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness (Less than a year)

Pros

good co-workers and free gym membership

Cons

I took a personal trainer job in Springfield NJ in august 2015 because they were allegedly planning start renovating in october. I ended up quitting in February 2016 because corprate revealed to all the staff that not only they not renovating the gym, sales quotas were tripled, pay was slashed, and great employees falsely accused of theft.
    Try selling luxury priced personal training packaged at a gym that used to be a machine shop, has out dates rusty gear, no janitor, and a mold in the shower thats a static shock away from sentience.

Advice to Management

Treat employees and members like people not bar codes. DO NOT hire any former TSI managers

6. "Master Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership. I can't think of any additional pros because the company doesn't seem to care about it's employees ability to make a living.

Cons

The pay is terrible. You have to service over 100 sessions a month to make a living. Your pay is about 20% of the actual session rate charged to the customer. This position is extremely sales driven.

Advice to Management

More incentives for employees to perform.
    Increase salaries. Expectations of employees is extremely high for the extremely low wages and minimal benefits.

7. "College job, yes. Career, NO!"

Former Employee - Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, the only pros are going to be based on your personal values.....Getting to know the Members, and getting a free gym membership as well as discounts on training and retail were about it for my experience!

Cons

As a whole, 24 Hour Fitness lacks transparency and professionalism. Gossip circulated faster than a wild fire, and management was usually an initiator. Pay is low, training is inefficient, and employee turnover is remarkably high.... for obvious reasons.

Certain locations are better than others, but beware that their is no neutrality when it comes to HR or upper management. As long as you befriend the right people, you can get away with murder.

If you're a fitness junky it may be worth it, but if you're looking for a career, it might be tough to look past all the internal issues...There is a reason large companies with no transparency, consistency, or culture have a high turnover rate.

My personal issues: I realized as a company they are more about making money than actually helping people. Including their employees. As a company they make millions, but still use an inefficient software from 2002. Health, fitness, and customer service are not their priority....

8. "Monopoly of Stupid"

Former Employee - Club Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Club Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working in the fitness industry. You can be surrounded be a lot of fun, positive people. Depends on the club, though. Some commission sales people are very self centered, one dimensional jerks.

Cons

Upper management is clueless. Everything changes frequently, too frequently for any type of consistency to grow through repetitive training and action. Upper management is trying to squeeze every dime out of the company to position to sell (again0, and it makes for a very negative environment. Corporate will gain everything financially with the next move, and very freely blames the field for failing to realize their dreams. If you can't settle on a method, and your communication to the field is poor and constantly changing, the flaws and failures are in your lap, not the field. The worst run company I have every worked for.

Advice to Management

Quit now and spare everyone your selfishness and stupidity.

9. "Sales Advisor"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet. free membership. My coworkers are like family. We all show up with our best attitudes despite our pay.

Cons

Horrible pay. Unreal expectations. Poor leadership by GM. Our GM is on a constant power trip and does not hesitate to remind us of his control. If things in the club are not going well he blames us rather than himself. Uses words like "WE NEED TO" when it really means anyone but himself.

Advice to Management

This is my 2nd review. This company should pay closer attention to what happens in the smaller clubs. The turnover rate is high because of the GM. Make sure your GMs are leading by example and maybe the company's turnover rate won't be so high. Make sure they are not abusing their power. I probably won't be with this company for much longer so just take this into consideration so that future employees don't have to go through this. We are employees, not slaves. We don't get paid enough to get treated like crap.

10. "Mgmt."

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing that I see from what we put up with on a day to day basis.

Cons

Company does not give a crap about its employees. Just cares about money. We have been assaulted, cussed at and treated like trash by members and the company does nothing to make sure we are ok. They do not believe a word we say, and don't care about our safety. Nothing is ever good enough for them.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and when they file a complaint about how a member violated policy, REVOKE them!

Showing 177 of 1,481 reviews