24 Hour Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
24 Hour Fitness Acting CEO Frank Napolitano
Frank Napolitano
1 Rating

Pros
  • Lots of downtime, free gym membership, great regulars, employee discount (in 428 reviews)

• Loved the free gym membership to any 24-Hour fitness (in 211 reviews)

Cons
  • I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad (in 40 reviews)

• Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by (in 75 reviews)

1. "Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in Sandy, UT

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large Membership base to be able to find clients
    New members driven through trainers by being signed up for free training/ trainer evaluations when they are signing up for their membership so it is easier to sign up clients than the average gym when a trainer would just walk up to random people.

Cons

Managers are picked based solely on sales numbers. Many times this means that people who don't care or feel for others who are largely driven by ego and how much money they make will become managers. They don't actually have much manager training and rarely have people skills.
    There are always looming sales goals. If you hit them, they just raise them the next time so that gets old.
    If you take a vacation for 1 week or 2 weeks, they still want you to hit the sales goal of when you did work a full month, so it makes you feel like you can't take a vacation or if you do, they'll do their go to threat of writing you up.
    Compensation plans change often, they are often hard to understand or for you to be able to project if you'll make more money than before unless you have a degree in calculus or you just have to let a few months go by to be able to tell. And almost always you make the same in the end.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have real management experience or training. Not a couple of classes that 24 HR teaches in-house by managers that probably don't have real management training either. Make sure you choose managers that are generally likeable by the staff in the first place, not just based on their sales.
    Don't be scared to give your employees money to keep them happy and motivated. Every compensation plan seemed to have something to keep an employees pay in check in some way or another. If the next compensation plan had a great point that would get employees excited, you could bet that one of the good compensation points of the previous compensation plan was lost.

"Not the worst but they treat their employees poorly"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really easy day to day. Gym membership

Cons

Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by. Lots of doing nothing but waiting for guests. High turnover rate and I have seen multiple bosses reduce people's hours to 0 so they are forced to quit instead of being fired just because they aren't super fond of the employee. Company is more interested in money than providing good service or a healthy work environment.

Advice to Management

The district managers came to check on the club all the time and not once did they ask the frontline employees ways to improve the company/customer service/employee moral. Take more time to actually care about your employees and maybe they wont all quit every month. It's sad that your "employee discount" still has us pay more than if we walked to the market down the street for the same product. Be less greedy and make money off customers not your own staff.

3. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Frontline team members and members.

Cons

Above club management and the lack of communication with frontline team members was discouraging. Also career advancement was lacking.

"Worked at 24 for 8 years"

Current Employee - Master Trainer in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Master Trainer in Olympia, WA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training and the client relations are the best

Cons

As a trainer responsibilities include finding Leeds, sales, training nutrition etc, keeping files, managing and scheduling clients. In other words you have to do everything management just wants to be told a month in advance what your going to sell.

Advice to Management

We are under appreciated and expected to wear to many hats. You get your bonuses and we probably dont. We probably receive no benefits and Time off or even sick time and we dedicate all our time and energy to this. We do it because we love it but this business model takes everything we have and leaves us empty. When I leave i cannot wait to leave my jersey on that is worn and tattered by the by and it's because the last thing I want to do is represent 24 hour fitness. I have no pride and hate this company but sadly I have no better options and I love training.

"What You'd Expect"

Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great part time job for students
    There is room for advancement if interested
    Fairly easy job

Cons

Favoritism
    Management expects alot of work for little pay

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about employee wellbeing

7. "Membership, PT"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your experience at 24 Hour Fitness can vary widely depending on your club. From 2011 to 2015, I worked at two clubs. One was a very small club in a semi-residential area, the other was a very large club downtown.

At the small club, I had a great relationship with my manager, members, and my clients. I really enjoyed helping people reach their goals

Cons

At the larger club, I felt that I was part of a corporate machine - all that mattered were sales and numbers. I was still able to have a good relationship with my clients, but became frustrated when management pushed me to sell, increase sessions, etc when such things were not in line with my client's goals or needs.

I also felt that male trainers were treated better than female clients, and given more opportunities to grow their business and to develop skills.

8. "Working at 24 Hour Fitness"

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership, friendly co-workers, independence in work, casual environment.

Cons

Dangerous environment, low pay, music too loud, and lazy coworkers.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is doing their job that they are fully trained for and improve safety measures.

9. "Too much focus on sales"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free workouts but not much more than that

Cons

High turnover, sometimes strange coworkers

Advice to Management

Pay more and get better employees

10. "Not so great"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A decent entry level job.

Cons

They pay is not great for the work you put in. Too much micro managing. Not open to creativity for program planning.

11. "sales advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Richmond, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to network and meet new people, free gym membership, relaxed enviroment

Cons

management is horrible, hardly train new employees, and the pay and commission system is messed up, all sales advisors basically work for the managers because they take all incoming leads first and also their advisors leads to meet their threshold, no good benefits

Advice to Management

Spend time working and training with advisors, follow dress code policy , lead by example

Showing 290 of 1,447 reviews