24 Hour Fitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017
1,463 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,463 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Lots of downtime, free gym membership, great regulars, employee discount (in 436 reviews)

• Loved the free gym membership to any 24-Hour fitness (in 215 reviews)

Cons
  • I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad (in 40 reviews)

• Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by (in 76 reviews)

1. "Unethical Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Ideal for those passionate about fitness and meeting new people.

- Free membership and discounted training sessions.

Cons

- Compensation: minimum wage for sales advisors with unrealistic commission structure; personal trainers have floor time hours deducted from their paycheck -- employees are put in a position to work off-the-clock, managers not only realize this but most encourage it.

- Labor Violations: besides working off-the-clock, unpaid OT and meal break violations occur regularly, especially for Kids Club attendants. Google "24 Hour Fitness employee lawsuits".

- Advancement: 24 speaks about four necessary criteria for promotion but it's all BS. Sales managers are routinely promoted to GM positions without hitting budget more than one time, missing their personal numbers and in many cases, openly doing unethical deals. Meanwhile, honest employees with proven financial results are overlooked.

- Diversity: you absolutely will be overlooked in favor of a less qualified, African-American candidate.

- Feedback: you will be marginalized and face retaliation for speaking up. DMs and RVPs don't want honest feedback from club management, that's why promotions flop, members leave and employees quit. Employee engagement surveys are supposed to be anonymous but oddly, your employee number attaches itself to your survey and is visible in the browser's address window, so many are afraid to complete them. No exit interviews either -- employees of over 10 years have resigned and nobody in HR cared enough to interview them.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews. Take action.

2. "Short term job, not a long term."

Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant/Service Representative in Keller, TX
    Current Employee - Kids Club Attendant/Service Representative in Keller, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the relationships i have with the kids, the members and my co workers.

The promotion of working out and being healthy, everyone is supportive of each other.

Opportunity to move up is offered and you can move can pretty fast in the company.

Cons

The 40hr a week limit is strict, no overtime is allowed and that includes the club managers as well.

The $8 is not enough for the amount of work you do, you will be asked to work the front, the kids club, do a pool check, the selling, the cleaning and etc but for only $8.

Advice to Management

Take care of your co workers and dont only favor the employees who sell the most or work the front.

Watch out for kids club and listen to them so they can provide better care of the kids, since the children can influence whether mommy and daddy come back.

"Don't Train here"

Former Employee - Master Trainer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Master Trainer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free gym membership, entry level experience.

Cons

poor management, trainers aren't educated, glorified sales job, they lie about compensation.

Advice to Management

Quit

4. "Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people be healthy is amazing.

Cons

Culture can vary from club to club and promotions are heavily linked to politics, favoritism and nepotism/cronyism versus merit. Rather crap pay.

Advice to Management

Creat consistency. Make sure promotions are actually based on merit. Pay people what they are actually worth and when minimum wage increases everyone's pay should increase otherwise you are telling some team members that they are worth that much less each year.

5. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Property Tax Administrator in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Property Tax Administrator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at the corporate office is fantastic. The C Level leadership really want to make everyone feel like a family.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

6. "Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Master Personal Trainer in Sandy, UT

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large Membership base to be able to find clients
    New members driven through trainers by being signed up for free training/ trainer evaluations when they are signing up for their membership so it is easier to sign up clients than the average gym when a trainer would just walk up to random people.

Cons

Managers are picked based solely on sales numbers. Many times this means that people who don't care or feel for others who are largely driven by ego and how much money they make will become managers. They don't actually have much manager training and rarely have people skills.
    There are always looming sales goals. If you hit them, they just raise them the next time so that gets old.
    If you take a vacation for 1 week or 2 weeks, they still want you to hit the sales goal of when you did work a full month, so it makes you feel like you can't take a vacation or if you do, they'll do their go to threat of writing you up.
    Compensation plans change often, they are often hard to understand or for you to be able to project if you'll make more money than before unless you have a degree in calculus or you just have to let a few months go by to be able to tell. And almost always you make the same in the end.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have real management experience or training. Not a couple of classes that 24 HR teaches in-house by managers that probably don't have real management training either. Make sure you choose managers that are generally likeable by the staff in the first place, not just based on their sales.
    Don't be scared to give your employees money to keep them happy and motivated. Every compensation plan seemed to have something to keep an employees pay in check in some way or another. If the next compensation plan had a great point that would get employees excited, you could bet that one of the good compensation points of the previous compensation plan was lost.

7. "Vice-President"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Ramon, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Passionate team members who were really bought into the mission and vision of the company. Great benefits, fitness orientated culture which promoted and enabled healthy lifestyle to team members.

Cons

Executive turnover and ownership (private equity firm) instability

Advice to Management

Continue to look for ways to decrease turnover among field and club staff

8. "hahaha don't do it"

Former Employee - Child Care in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Child Care in Austin, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a free membership to 24 hours and a discount on their supplies/clothes.

Cons

I worked in child care and omg that was rough. The kids are ages from 6 months - 12 years.

Advice to Management

Stop being so inflexible with hours each week. Let people take a Friday off without questioning if it was worth hiring them.

"Not the worst but they treat their employees poorly"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really easy day to day. Gym membership

Cons

Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by. Lots of doing nothing but waiting for guests. High turnover rate and I have seen multiple bosses reduce people's hours to 0 so they are forced to quit instead of being fired just because they aren't super fond of the employee. Company is more interested in money than providing good service or a healthy work environment.

Advice to Management

The district managers came to check on the club all the time and not once did they ask the frontline employees ways to improve the company/customer service/employee moral. Take more time to actually care about your employees and maybe they wont all quit every month. It's sad that your "employee discount" still has us pay more than if we walked to the market down the street for the same product. Be less greedy and make money off customers not your own staff.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at 24 is the casual working environment, my favorite part was wearing nikes and workout pants to work, at all the clubs I worked at I always worked with outgoing energetic people.

Cons

Environment - There are a lot of cons. The pay structure is very bad. The turnover for Sales Advisors and Trainers is very high because the compensation plan works out to where they get paid minimum wage. Not all environments are equal if you work at an active, sport or super sport. I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad. It's a 24 hour business, so I am always getting calls on the weekend or sometimes weekdays at 2am or 4am. I would have to go in if a team member can't work their shift. I can't see this being a good career if I had kids.

Members - The cons out number the pros. For every nice member, there are 10 mean ones. I get chewed out everyday about things I can't control. Members are always complaining about other members of pretty much whatever they can complain about. Even when I try to do things to prevent complaining I'm always getting yelled at by someone.

Pay - the way 24 has been operating for the past 12 - 18 months has been different in my opinion. They are acting like a retail or investment company when this is the fitness industry with a lot of competition. I haven't bonuses in over a year because budgets are ridiculous. And when you have a general manager that can't get the business running effectively it ruins your chance of bounding. But that's your boss so there isn't much you can do. In the last 12 months I've seen more turnover from upper management then I've ever seen. The CEO just recently left as well. General Managers, fitness managers. Sales managers and operations managers are all structured hourly and off bonuses but majority of the clubs aren't bounding at all.

In the end it's a business of sales. Each month you get budgets, you work all month to hit those budgets. Once the last day of the month ends you reset and start all over. Then whatever you did last month is never spoken of again even if you did amazing. You're on a hamster wheel that never ends and each month they pick you up and put you on a new one. This gets old and you will get burnt out after a while.

I can see 24 wanting to get better but it's been so long with no improvement i plan on taking my skill sets to another company.

Advice to Management

As an OM I know there is a lot going on and it's hard to control everything. Making our bonuses actually obtainable would be nice. Having unrealistic goals for so long is very discouraging.

Showing 1,463 of 1,475 reviews