24 Hour Fitness Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

24 Hour Fitness CEO Chris Roussos
Chris Roussos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free gym membership and the work isn't bad (in 457 reviews)

• Loved the free gym membership to any 24-Hour fitness (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad (in 42 reviews)

• Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by (in 77 reviews)

1. ""24 Hour Fitness Pros and Cons."

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time

Pros

pay, growth, free membership, fun job.

Cons

pressure, stress, management doesn't practice what they preach.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Group X Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Group X Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open 24 Hours, Convenient Location, Good Benefits... I can't think of anything else to write on this section that's a Pro. I just didn't have a good enough experience with this company that I could remember.

Cons

Poor management! They hire people who have no qualifications to be a team lead/manager & they abuse their authority. I had a coworker who the management absolutely hate for no apparent reason. They would write him up for things that didn't happen and tried to make a case against him so that they can get rid of him without giving him unemployment.

Advice to Management

Hire better people to manage the clubs and employees.

3. "LookSomewhere else. Not a real company."

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Use of fitness facilities for regular employees

Cons

Unstable, poor Management, questionable ethics for customers.

"Not the worst but they treat their employees poorly"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really easy day to day. Gym membership

Cons

Minimum wage but will work you 39 hours/week (1 under full time to avoid benefits) which is not enough money to get by. Lots of doing nothing but waiting for guests. High turnover rate and I have seen multiple bosses reduce people's hours to 0 so they are forced to quit instead of being fired just because they aren't super fond of the employee. Company is more interested in money than providing good service or a healthy work environment.

Advice to Management

The district managers came to check on the club all the time and not once did they ask the frontline employees ways to improve the company/customer service/employee moral. Take more time to actually care about your employees and maybe they wont all quit every month. It's sad that your "employee discount" still has us pay more than if we walked to the market down the street for the same product. Be less greedy and make money off customers not your own staff.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at 24 is the casual working environment, my favorite part was wearing nikes and workout pants to work, at all the clubs I worked at I always worked with outgoing energetic people.

Cons

Environment - There are a lot of cons. The pay structure is very bad. The turnover for Sales Advisors and Trainers is very high because the compensation plan works out to where they get paid minimum wage. Not all environments are equal if you work at an active, sport or super sport. I have worked at all and as an operations Manager my work life balance is bad. It's a 24 hour business, so I am always getting calls on the weekend or sometimes weekdays at 2am or 4am. I would have to go in if a team member can't work their shift. I can't see this being a good career if I had kids.

Members - The cons out number the pros. For every nice member, there are 10 mean ones. I get chewed out everyday about things I can't control. Members are always complaining about other members of pretty much whatever they can complain about. Even when I try to do things to prevent complaining I'm always getting yelled at by someone.

Pay - the way 24 has been operating for the past 12 - 18 months has been different in my opinion. They are acting like a retail or investment company when this is the fitness industry with a lot of competition. I haven't bonuses in over a year because budgets are ridiculous. And when you have a general manager that can't get the business running effectively it ruins your chance of bounding. But that's your boss so there isn't much you can do. In the last 12 months I've seen more turnover from upper management then I've ever seen. The CEO just recently left as well. General Managers, fitness managers. Sales managers and operations managers are all structured hourly and off bonuses but majority of the clubs aren't bounding at all.

In the end it's a business of sales. Each month you get budgets, you work all month to hit those budgets. Once the last day of the month ends you reset and start all over. Then whatever you did last month is never spoken of again even if you did amazing. You're on a hamster wheel that never ends and each month they pick you up and put you on a new one. This gets old and you will get burnt out after a while.

I can see 24 wanting to get better but it's been so long with no improvement i plan on taking my skill sets to another company.

Advice to Management

As an OM I know there is a lot going on and it's hard to control everything. Making our bonuses actually obtainable would be nice. Having unrealistic goals for so long is very discouraging.

6. "Great opportunity once you get up to department heads. Best place to work for if you don't want a degree."

Current Employee - Service Representative Lead in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Service Representative Lead in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity, growth within the company. Great place to work if you are unsure what you want to do in life.

Cons

Pay isn't so great for lower management. Feels like you do to much for so little.

Advice to Management

Nothing you guys are great.

7. "Great company, but need to pay instructors more"

Former Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Solana Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Group Fitness Instructor in Solana Beach, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management, policies, communication, front desk, childcare and clients

Cons

they do not pay industry standard for fitness instructors

Advice to Management

increase instructor pay by 20%

8. "Management wasn't very professional."

Former Employee - Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym access to all 24 hour fitness locations, decent amount of hours, reimbursed for any training, discounts on personal training.

Cons

Long hours of standing, poor management professionalism, minimum wage pay, trainers get paid a small portion of the actually cost of each session.

Advice to Management

Professionalism is key!

9. "Trainer at 24, a mix of good and not so good"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive, healthy atmosphere, a chance to help others, flexible schedule

Cons

A teaching job that is more of a sales job, numbers driven pay scale and environment.

Advice to Management

Stop making your standard MO to over staff your trainers and let them actually get enough walk ins to earn a living. PT is expensive and really a luxury for most people.

"They are working to get better."

Former Employee - Department Head in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Department Head in San Diego, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, all access to all clubs for working there.
    Dept Heads get 5 free sessions of training a year.
    They supply work shirts.

Cons

Front desk people catch a majority of anger of members, as do the sales team.
    Trainers tend to be self serving and don't help with team cleans or the front desk.

Advice to Management

If HR is always at certain clubs, and there are always people being fired or written up, then maybe they should investigate the cause, not the symptoms of bad management.

Showing 73 of 1,515 reviews