24 Hour Fitness "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

24 Hour Fitness Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Sep 30, 2019

3.3
24 Hour Fitness CEO Tony Ueber (no image)
Tony Ueber
Pros
Cons
  • "They don’t give raises ( barely minimum wage) & unfortunately the front desk reps are usually expose to danger (they’re exposed to risks)(in 94 reviews)

• "The pay for everyone not in upper management was at the least that they could possibly get away with(in 73 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Hang on to your Staff"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work inside a gym for 10 hours a day and being around others who enjoy training

Cons

I personally had a lack of coaching and career guidance. I communicated this to upper management and HR and was told the changes were to come. It came only by being offered a new club to work in that was further away.

Advice to Management

Communication down the latter on why we do what we do. The daily processes are important to the business, however, the people need support in daily guidance

24 Hour Fitness2019-06-21

"Low pay, crappy management, even worse upper management"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Englewood, CO

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fitness industry Free membership to the gym Sometimes really cool people work there

Cons

Horrible pay structure Nearly impossible to make any kind of money if you’re anything other than a personal trainer Upper management doesn’t care at all for most employees When I worked there, my manager sucked The company really doesn’t care about the customers Incredibly difficult to move up. Near impossible

Advice to Management

Break the business up and sell it to other companies who know how to do it better. Or, treat employees and customers like you actually care

24 Hour Fitness2019-09-17

"Company needs to start fresh from the top down"

Current Employee - Fitness Manager in Hermosa Beach, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free membership, other then that its an awful company to work for.

Cons

Treat employees terribly, unrealistic goals and no adjustments made based on current conditions. Bottom line is all they care about. Way to much turnover in management and upper management is non existent and not engaged with lower employees. No training provided, kinda learn as you go if your even given enough time to learn anything. Pay isn't even if you hit a bonus its still low compared to other companies.... Favoritism for promotions and better positions. No loyalty at all.

Advice to Management

Tear it down from the top and start over. Get creative, your not the only gym out there anymore. Stagnant promos over and over don't drive business and management is clueless how to lead a team. Once you start taking care of the employees the numbers will be better. People cant focus on their jobs when they are walking around eggshells every day. I was with the company for 4 years, one of the top fitness managers in... my region and was forced out due to poor numbers but multiple factors were not taking into account. Only the bottom line is cared about. All the good talent left because good talent will find jobs that make them happy and bad talent stays because they can collect a paycheck.

24 Hour Fitness2019-10-01

"100% Sales focused"

Former Employee - Assistant Operations Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can advance in your career pretty quickly but that is partly because of very quick turnover. Free membership.

Cons

The pay for everyone not in upper management was at the least that they could possibly get away with. I was in charge of writing the schedule for the retail/front desk team and was told not to give anyone more than 28 hours so that we didn't have to offer them any benefits. Upper management was 100% focused on their own bonuses and weren't even shy about it. They'd coach us all on how to reach a goal that only they... would benefit from. I also found the environment to be incredibly inappropriate. It was very normal to hear the male employees talk about the women in the gym in very rude and sexist language and management would do nothing to stop this behavior or would even join in!

Advice to Management

This company needs real leaders who are focused on morale just as much as results. The company on a whole needs to rethink the bonus schemes because it attracts really unsavory people and allows for horrible morale among the team.

24 Hour Fitness2019-08-20

"Good as a first experience, not long term."

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to gain first training experience

Cons

No support from upper management. No investment into existing clubs because focus is only on opening new ones. Focus is on money and not people.

Advice to Management

Support your staff. Focus on training trainers to be better coaches and not just better sales people. Invest in your older clubs so that they stack up to competition and not let them turn into overflow clubs. Pay your front desk staff better so that the turn over isn't 80%

24 Hour Fitness2018-10-18
  6. "Good for growing with the company"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

great staff flexible hours encourages growth in the company

Cons

upper management is average low pay

24 Hour Fitness2018-09-27
  7. "good place to teach"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time

Pros

free membership, flexible class coverage,

Cons

low pay with little increase after years, rapid turnover in upper management

24 Hour Fitness2018-08-16
  8. "Changes need to be made"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Corona, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gym Membership Benefits CEO Chris Roussos

Cons

Inexperienced upper Management failing the Team Members

24 Hour Fitness2018-08-22
  9. "Sales Advisor"

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time

Pros

Fun work place, great members,

Cons

Department heads are typically on edge because of upper management

24 Hour Fitness2018-04-27

"General Manager"

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time

Pros

Loved helping people change their lives for the better. Members were amazing and several have become close friends. New clubs have top of line equipment and amenities. Health Benefits are reasonable and provide great coverage. Discounted Personal Training and free membership for yourself and family.

Cons

24 Hour is consistently changing their processes and procedures which can make it hard to implement them with your team. Membership pricing, business plans amongst other procedures changed every 6 months to a year. Pay structure for front line team members needs to improve. Most clubs are not given enough labor hours to run a successful business. This causes a high turnover rate since you can only give team members... 15-20 hours a week. Personal trainers can only get paid while they have a client. If their appointments do not show up they are expected to clock off immediately. You have to be a very skilled trainer to make it at 24. The turnover in this department is the highest out of all the departments. You're expected to make 24 your main priority. I was expected to stop what I was doing on my days off so I could call the club to resolve issues. You're expected to work weekends throughout the year. Management is not willing to help out with club issues such as replacing 20 year old carpet and tile. Monthly budgets can be unrealistic. Management doesn't care if a shiny new club that is half your price opened nearby. Mentioning them as a contributing factor for underperforming is just an excuse and will not be tolerated. Due to poor upper management this position can be very stressful. Recognition isn't given consistently however, criticism is given to you in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Focus on your team and members. Set your clubs up for success by giving appropriate goals and budgets. Stop leading by fear its not motivating when you have 4 corporate leadership team members interviewing you for not hitting budget and then to be told there will not be a next time. Get to know your staff find out what motivates them. Provide a great experience to the members by not being pushy and by updating all... the clubs. Provide a better compensation plan so retention increases. Spend less on nation wide campaigns, instead focus on spending dollars towards promotional items and community events.

24 Hour Fitness2018-04-06