2U Admissions Reviews | Glassdoor

2U CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

"Admissions counselor"

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

This companies culture is better than anywhere I have worked. They know how to give us little things(food, snacks, events, etc) Sounds like the upcoming changes should help the student outcomes because ideally that is our goal to change students lives. I can not say how much I've enjoyed working for this company and changing lives.

Cons

When it comes to benefits they are fancy but not what is needed. My last company would help me pay my student loans. We are a company that wants to help others with their education but not employees. Which in admissions is a requirement to get the AC position. Even a little bit to help cut down cost of interest. Being in the middle of Denver means most of us have to take bus or train to travel. We can't afford to... live close but the monthly cost of travel is overwhelming. An Eco pass could help everyone with travel and would be a benefit everyone would use at some point. Admissions is a very numbers base department. We need something to keep us going (raise, commission, advancement) you will have too much turnover if there is nothing to keep them in "sales".

Advice to Management

My current manager is AMAZING. Cares for my development and is very down to earth. I look forward to what is hopefully to come of my advancement with this company.

2U2019-09-13

"Intent Over Impact?"

Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pros I experienced occurred before the stock drop and the massive layoff (and consequent lack of transparency).

Cons

At a recent department-wide meeting, the white man who runs the department told the hundreds of people who report to him that he doesn't think before he speaks and that they must assume he has good intent. In this same meeting, he said that he hadn't noticed that the recent layoff and re-org had left only one person of color in leadership from the director level upwards, but he hasn't seen a problem with it so far.... Wow! Impact over intent is the basic principle of DEI, and making these statements publicly, especially as a person of privilege, is alarming. 2U should pay attention to training their senior leadership in DEI and emotional intelligence, but if relying on outside resources, should not employ the same consulting group that they used to re-org the staff, as this group failed to account for the importance of diversity when recommending its cuts.

Advice to Management

Your students and school partners will only be hurt if you do not address diversity and EQ issues in your senior staff.

2U2019-11-09

"Was sad to be let go due to the company benefits"

Former Employee - Director of Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people surrounding you every day, the work-life balance, the benefits, paid parental leave

Cons

Quick advancement without training causing animosity among a younger working staff. Hush-Hush at the top despite guiding principle of being candid, open and honest. Lack of support from key stakeholders when things really got touch. School partnerships strained by off-target enrollment goals. Finance department creating goals for admissions teams when they are so out of touch of what is actually happening in the... program space. Lay-offs of all admissions directors back in September without notice or warning, and a lack of communication provided to the members on those teams.

2U2019-11-13

"Navigating Choppy Waters"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive salaries for higher ed space - Approachable leadership - Growth opportunities for those that make a point to stand out - Friendly coworkers - On-site gym, cafeteria, and coffee bar - Fun company events and generous PTO policy - Mission driven: genuinely achieves high-level outcomes for students and partner universities

Cons

- Complicated business model in a volatile space that is subject to a lot of scrutiny from both the public and political arenas - Clumsy handling of change management (several influential and beloved Admissions leaders hastily let go without apparent anticipation of negative morale ripple effect that has since followed) - Inefficient practices and shortcuts/workarounds as commonly implemented strategies - With a... few exceptions, not many inspiring, thoughtful leaders remain within the Admissions department

Advice to Management

Take time to understand what contributions your individual employees are making; specifically those who are passionate about the business and leading in ways that positively shape culture, motivate people to come to work, and inspire others to bring their best to the job every day. As it stands, there’s currently an apparent communication breakdown at the Director/VP level, and the future is unclear in the eyes of... the majority of those in the Admissions department. Optimism once abounded. Now, uncertainty and anxiety is the prevailing sentiment. There is still the possibility of a very bright future ahead, but it hinges on how leadership chooses to navigate this very volatile time in the company’s journey.

2U2019-10-15

"Admissions"

Former Employee - Director of Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, good culture, great gym in the MD HQ with free classes.

Cons

Lack of proper training for leadership, especially since the layoffs which wiped out their most tenured staff and left many first time managers in charge of very complex teams without additional pay.

Advice to Management

The executive leadership team needs to rebuild the company's business model, which recently suffered from the strain of competitors and a shifting market. They should adhere to their own motto of being "candid, open, and honest" and provide as much transparency to their employees as possible in order to keep the culture intact.

2U2019-10-23

"Do more with less"

Former Employee - Admission Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, and honestly just the people

Cons

PMP, raised goals but cut spending on out program and would hold the counselors accountable if they didn't hit unrealistic admission goals.

Advice to Management

Get better, overall, get better. You mass fire managers and directors to save 12 million but yet spend tens of millions on your meetings and halloween every year. I know numerous people who gave you there careers and never wanted commission which people should have received or stock but then you fire the people who gave you everything. Yet you still have no idea what you are doing.

2U2019-10-09

"Great company, great mission, poor business decisions"

Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, thriving company culture, strong team members

Cons

The business model is flawed, after over 70 people laid off they are still making crazy business decisions

2U2019-10-15

"Just when you think it can't get worse"

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Every day you get to see if our management team will make a worse decision

Cons

- mass layoffs - recording everything you do on the phone with students - distrustful management

Advice to Management

Remove everyone's tuition burden so that we can quit. I am SO READY to leave this place but can't.

2U2019-11-13

"A lot of change but overall a great mission driven company with competitive benefits"

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Competitive Salary, a lot of training for entry level positions

Cons

401 match, decent but not great benefits

Advice to Management

For team members to want to perform well and show up with a positive attitude most days, they need to like you. Focus MORE on building relationships with your team and within your team (#relationships matter) and less on technical aspects of the job (i.e. obsessing over how many dials in an hour/building another report that we could do on our own time) ALSO, please don't roll out new initiatives without thinking... through solutions to foreseen problems

2U2019-10-08

"Think Twice - Free Snacks aren't everything"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Snacks -Unlimited PTO (if you have hit your numbers, or you will be fired/ put on corrective action..... therefore beware, admissions isn't gonna be a walk in the park.

Cons

Honestly, if you need the money or you throughly enjoy working in a call center, this is the job for you. Admissions is not what you think it is, or what they tell you during the interview process. This IS a call center - watch the movie "Sorry to Bother You" if you like that environment, you will love 2U.

Advice to Management

While the department is childish, your staff is grown. Please provide significant training to all management, linkedIn learning isn't going to do it.

2U2019-09-28