2U Reviews | Glassdoor

Chip Paucek

"Profit over people"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

Great company to start out after college. Wonderful, smart, tenacious, thoughtful, intelligent, kind-hearted people to work with. Benefits and salary were great until they eliminate your position to better align their bottom line.

Cons

This company fell under the uber conundrum. They have been in business for over 10 years but have yet to see a real profit because they overinvest in the input of running the graduate programs but don't see the profit payout. The CEO is a narcissist who clearly thinks he's the next Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerburg. 2U bit off more than it could chew, by trying to have the largest market share and to push down... competitor/potential competitors by adding too many partners and making impulsive acquisitions to dominate their place in the market. As a result, the stock plummeted and they hired a third-party consulting firm to assess where the company could cut spending. This process took an entire YEAR. An entire year was spent figuring out where they were going to make layoffs in their attempts to cut a budget that was recklessly overspent, to begin with. Instead of cutting back lavish trips to Las Vagas (Where Christina Aguilera performed) or to New Orleans (where Michelle Obama spoke) or to Long Beach, California (where Flo-Rida performed), they bring the entire admissions department into separate rooms to keep the admissions counselors who bring in revenue (because #ProfitMatters) and lay off managers, and directors who have devoted the past 8+ years to this company. After walking into the lobby of the Landham headquarters where you see your superiors in tears holding boxes of their belongings, you then get invited to a call so leadership can "explain everything." To then have them cite a glassdoor review and have that justify why they let go 60-70 employees who have worked their butts off for this company. I hope the education sector gets regulated better once more Democrats are elected so companies like 2U can stop profiting off people's debt and people's education so senior leadership can drive Porsches. The guiding principles are absolute garbage and I hope nothing but poor things for this company. #FidicuaryDutiesMatter

2U2019-09-10

"Trust Your Inner Skeptic"

Former Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Skills building to bring elsewhere.

Cons

Many people get damaged by their "hire slow, fire fast" policy. People are working way too much, checking emails in the middle of the night, and working holidays only to be all of a sudden let go- even with families. They claim they have your back, but it truly is dog-eat-dog. Trust your gut. If you think there's a target on your back, there probably is.

Advice to Management

When you lay off 73 people (some with families) in one day, "don't worry, we'll still have Halloween" is a disgusting thing to say. You've lost touch with the human beings in your organization.

2U2019-09-11

"The worst place to work and incompetent CEO."

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited PTO (but they track every day you use and can use it against you at some point)

Cons

I was discriminated against my accent and my culture. My director told me I couldn't do webinars because English was not my first language. My manager would demand the detail from my doctor's appointments which is illegal. HR department is the worst, understaffed, unprofessional, untrustworthy. Instead of helping employees, they protect the company at all costs. Performance base plans are designed to destroy people... managers simply don't like. My director called ACs stupid, "hey you", idiots and had horrible mood every day. Managers were incompetent, lacked simple people skills and asked ACs to spend less time on lunch (eat less) and dial more. The company grew and lost its values. The leadership did not care about students, only about the money. CEO spent atrocious amount of money on a parade in New Orleans and Christina Aguilera concert but yet fired people due to financial issues. How is it fair? It is a competitive place, where you cannot have friends or trust anyone. Your own ignorant manager would tell you to smile more when he/she have no idea what professionalism is. You cannot grow in the company unless you are fake and have connections.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage or leave and give a chance to a professional to do the job.

2U2019-10-03
  4. "A Place Where I Look Forward to Coming to Work Every Day"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

I find my job stimulating because I truly believe in the service we provide as a company. The work atmosphere motivates me to put forth my best effort each and every day. On top of that, my peers and colleagues are incredibly supportive of both my personal and professional endeavors. The management here actively listens to my thoughts and ideas and supports me in my career goals. I always feel like a valued team... member.

Cons

Jobs are not commission based. It would be great if there was some kind of incentive to earn a little extra money for going above and beyond the normal expectations.

2U2019-09-05
  5. "Be a part of a mission driven company changing higher education."

Current Employee - Admissions in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Transparent and connected leadership, Progressive benefits, Leadership development, and most importantly an company making great impact in the field of education and our communities.

Cons

Young and inexperienced management in a fast paced environment. We are working on this with revamped leadership development courses.

Advice to Management

2U has been the greatest company and culture I’ve had the pleasure of working with. As the company has grown over the past four and a half years we’ve grown more bureaucratic impacting some of the small but fun activities that made our culture so great. I would also focus on cultivating internal talent, especially those that have graduated from 2U powered programs, certificates, and boot camps. I understand the need... for diversifying our talent with outside perspective and talent but I feel we have a gold mine of talent of 2Utes that have furthered their education.

2U2019-09-04

"BEWARE OF A QUICKLY SINKING SHIP"

Former Employee - Admissions Manager in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Honestly, none at this point.

Cons

I don't even know where to start but the TLDR = DO NOT WORK HERE. -The company profits off of putting students into large amounts of debt when they could get an equally valuable degree from anywhere else for half of the price. -They only promote within and provide basically no training so most leadership is absolute garbage -The tech platform actually sucks and student success (customer service) is so... under-staffed that they can't help anyone -They're in a hiring and promotion freeze, but even before that the hiring process was a joke. I referred many people whose interview process went on for months and they'd go weeks with no updates. I eventually became too embarrassed to refer friends to the company -THEY'RE LITERALLY IN BEING SUED BY INVESTORS!!! HELLO! -Chip is a narcissistic who somehow still thinks everything is fine -Favorites and egos play a huge part in big decisions, promotions, hiring, firing, etc. -THEY LAID OFF 60+ PEOPLE JUST THIS WEEK Again, there is SO MUCH wrong with this company. This list just scratches the surface. Many, if not most, of the positive reviews you're seeing were written by the hiring department in order to boost the glassdoor score. Seriously, pay attention and you'll notice that the writing style and wording seems to be similar in a lot of them. You're welcome!

Advice to Management

Chip should resign immediately.

2U2019-09-11

"Good benefits, but stressful."

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Christmas break, company meeting in a different city every year, happy hours and free food, unlimited PTO, interesting people to work with, free degree (with some strings attached)

Cons

Favoritism is real, goals can be unrealistic, stressful if you aren't doing well because you can lose your job for poor performance.

Advice to Management

Allow work-from-home in Admissions! Maybe let us work in WeWork locations. Keep staying positive and weathering the storm.

2U2019-08-21
  8. "Great Place to Work and Learn"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hugely talented group of people in their tech office, very collaborative and friendly atmosphere. Work/Life balance is respected and the management takes employee satisfaction seriously.

Cons

It can hard to break into the inner circle and squeeky wheels get greased more than they should, not much else to complain about.

Advice to Management

2U prides itself on the quality of the people they hire, take pride in seeing those same people through to the next levels. Too many great people are lost because the company continues to look to outside hires than promoting from within.

2U2019-08-28

"Was great, but the ship is starting to sink"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, some opportunities for promotion and salary increases. This obviously varies between managers and departments. Healthy work/life balance. People come in around 9:30/10 am, rarely feel the need to stay late. Lavish, yearly company meeting in new cities (Long Beach, New Orleans, Vegas etc.) Beautiful office in Brooklyn, with a rooftop and stunning views of NYC. Free snacks, cold brew, coffee... and 'bagel Monday'. Big game room with ping pong, video games and arcade setups.

Cons

As an employee, the company feels like a sinking ship. We're unable to scale our marketing and admissions costs as we bring on new programs. It's not a shock considering the admissions department is a call center, practically harassing prospective students with phone calls every day. Since marketing pushes anyone and everyone to fill out an interest form for a program, admissions is tied up reaching out to every... single lead, even if they're not qualified or not ready to start an application. With every new program we bring on, each department in marketing needs to hire new people as each launch requires a dedicated brand and advertising strategy. There isn't a structured process in place where employees can consistently provide feedback to their managers, similar to our quarterly reviews. I think this is a core problem. There is only a top-down approach to management in marketing, where employees who are experiencing the pain points I listed above don't get the opportunity to share this feedback. Benefits are just okay compared to other large companies in NYC. Lack of women and poc in leadership roles across the organization, and just about everyone is under the age of 30.

2U2019-08-07

"Better opportunities elsewhere"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO helps on days when you need a break or time away and Benefits are good.

Cons

2U states that their priority is students first, #nobackrow. This means that 2U is supposed to care for the success of the students. However, because the admissions counselors positions are metrics based to keep our jobs. That being said, when it comes to reaching out and speaking to students interested in the program. We often time are not honest with them in regards to their level of success in the program-we... just need them to hit a certain number. An admissions counselor's position is not based on metrics, the role is supposed to allow us to guide a student with sincerity throughout the application process. Secondly, working for 2U we are not able to tell students that we work for the company. We are supposed to say that we work for the university. If we mention anything about 2U, they will call us into a meeting with managers and we will be warned. This happened once to me, as I was called into an office by the manager and director directed not to mention it again. This was very misleading, as the company itself loves speaking about its success in the industry and encourages the employees to be happy we are apart of this huge success. Why do we have to hide it? Why are we lying to the students? If anything, they should know. On this topic, while we work for admissions counselor's are are placed to work with certain universities we are not allowed any communication with them. From the moment we start working for 2U regardless of our previous education interest, we are placed into random programs. Being that we are essentially sales, how can we sell a program that we have no idea about? We haven't been on campus, we don't know the staff, we don't know the department in which we work for, we don't know ANYTHING about the university. How can we truly offer a student the best service which 2U aims to do, if we don't feel connected whatsoever to the university? It fees like lies-we have to hide so many things. Lastly, management has or individuals in senior positions should not be there. Many times, promotions are given by experience or preference, not by the ability to lead properly. I have witness many of people in these positions. No people skills, negative side talk of their own co-workers, no ability to communicate and work with a diverse group of people. 2U states that is has so many core values for it's employees and has a goal of putting the student first. They have been nothing of the sort. Lies to the students, crappy management, and to sum it up-admissions position is more of a call center. You aim to call +75+ students a day just to find somebody willing to move forward with the application process. If you wish to be an admission counselor or work for a university, do not apply here. If you want the true experience, apply to that university. Be involved, you'll get to know how it truly feels to help a student succeed-most importantly you'll get the campus feel. I often time feel so disconnected. You don't want that feeling.

Advice to Management

Nothing is going to change-2U is metrics based and will continue to hide the truth from students.

2U2019-09-17