2U Student Support Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2019

3.4
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

"Amazing place to be overall, despite growing pains"

Current Employee - Student Support Manager

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to learn, fast paced, fun, smart people, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Growing fast, need to staff up to accommodate it

2U2017-09-13

"Trust Your Inner Skeptic"

Former Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Skills building to bring elsewhere.

Cons

Many people get damaged by their "hire slow, fire fast" policy. People are working way too much, checking emails in the middle of the night, and working holidays only to be all of a sudden let go- even with families. They claim they have your back, but it truly is dog-eat-dog. Trust your gut. If you think there's a target on your back, there probably is.

Advice to Management

When you lay off 73 people (some with families) in one day, "don't worry, we'll still have Halloween" is a disgusting thing to say. You've lost touch with the human beings in your organization.

2U2019-09-11
  3. "Make more money in Admissions"

Current Employee - Student Support Manager

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Expectations are clear. Fun work environment.

Cons

Incredible amount of work. Very little standardization.

2U2017-08-29

"Improvement Needed"

Former Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Innovative - Making an important contribution to online education - Great company meetings

Cons

- Too much turnover - Not enough training - No work/life balance

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and they will invest in you. Provide proper training. Do not just let go of great employees just because you decided to change their jobs completely and not provide proper training.

2U2017-06-15

"A Young Professional's Dream"

Current Employee - Student Support Manager in Landover Hills, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has such an incredible impact on peoples daily lives. In the role that I have, I have gotten to personally see the growth of people from all over the world as they earn their Masters degrees. Customer Services is top priority and it shows from the bottom all the way to the top of the company. 2U is fashioning itself to be the next Google in terms of employee satisfaction and fun. They actually ask... you on their satisfaction report every year if you have a best friend in the company. That simple question shows that they care how you feel about coming into work everyday. They want to harbor these types of relationships here. Events are held by employees to gather everyone together in different areas just to have fun with each other. It's an exciting thing to be a part of.

Cons

The company is a start-up so there are some kinks they are working on figuring out. Sometimes career paths can be muddled, but they are striving to make that clearer. I have been with the company for several years at this point, so I have seen my fair share of ups and downs, somethings get taken care of right away - others take a little longer. Work/Life balance are not amazing all the time - everyone works long... hours and sometimes too often. The balance comes from within the employee but also from management, the expectations need to be realistic. They are getting MUCH better with this since the company has grown.

Advice to Management

Be open and excited for your employees to explore other opportunities within the company. If people see that you are happy for them, they are going to stay - and that's what you want. You want your good people to stay within the company.

2U2013-05-22