2U Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Dec 7, 2020

3.8
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be tough at times with deadlines(in 34 reviews)

• "Growing pains, a lot of people/hours doing manual processes(in 20 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "2u Review"

5.0
    Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance they offered

Cons

Upper management never seemed to be on the same accord

April 29, 20202U Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute While you're now a 2U alumnus, you'll always be a part of the 2U story and we're grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

2. "Great Company"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Total Rewards

I worked at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great tuition reimbursement program. Diversity Culture.

Cons

Sometimes the direction from the upper management is not clear.

December 8, 20202U Leadership

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the employee benefits and our diverse and supportive culture. While you're now a 2U alumnus, you'll always be a part of the 2U story and we're grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

"4get you came across this job"

Current Employee - Placement Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything good is gone - even the good seltzer .. I don’t even like seltzer

Cons

- unrealistic metrics - goals based off old data that does not reflect the current business - lawsuit - firing 67 people overnight with no course correct - executives out of touch with managers - ceo takes no responsibilities for his actions - where did all the good snacks go - stock dropping drastically - no bonuses or promotions available in budgets - double workload without pay increases - admissions is working against placement due to conflicting metrics and goals driven by money hungry upper management claiming - being shamed for using pto

October 28, 20192U Communications

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your experience at 2U. We’re growing quickly and that’s revealing areas we need to improve upon as we become a global organization. The recent restructuring was done to put the student journey first. It is agile and leverages our learnings from more than 70 partners and a decade at the forefront of digital education transformation. Our business is healthy, growing, and today, we believe no other company is better positioned to help universities serve the quickly evolving needs of learners. We genuinely value your feedback and we would like to speak to you about your experience. Please reach out to feedback@2U.com and reference "my Glassdoor review" so we can talk.

"Technology is a weak segment of an otherwise outstanding company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, diversity, and truly caring team members.

Cons

Poor upper management. Lack of vision for technology. Low compensation.

June 24, 20192U Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Your insights into some of our growing pains, especially as we become a global organization, are valuable to understanding what’s most important to our employees. We are a fast-paced company and acknowledge that there is room for improvement as we continue to expand. As we grow, this will continue to be a top priority because managers are the heart of our organization and the linchpin to our future success. If you would like to share more about your experience to help us improve, please email us at feedback@2U.com and reference “my Glassdoor review.”

"Impressively inclusive, Impressive incentives, Opportunity is highly touted but limited in reality"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Diversity and Inclusion is an important value which permeates the company -Incentive structure (especially within admission) is well above average for the kind of work you'll be doing -Tuition benefit is an exceptional potential opportunity -2U offers cool events like Halloween (CEOs favorite holiday), the annual company meeting, and others -You do have an opportunity to effect positive change in the lives of students This is a mixed review and I can earnestly say that you have got to take the good with the bad when writing a review and when considering taking a job with 2U. There is no doubt 2U does offer financial and professional opportunity. If you are looking for a company that will pay very well in comparison to other sales roles of a similar nature 2U and offers the kind of benefits I list above and more then 2U could be a great fit.

Cons

- A common practice of goal ratcheting exists within the admissions department. If you are successful in your role, you should expect that your goals will be consistently increased as much as possible. This is generally not a problem for a sales role. However, you will need to do much more with the same resources and you have no control over your prospective prospect funnel. Combining these two factors with an significantly inexperienced management suit as well as 'performance management plans' for under performing counselors which restricts counselors from finding another position within the company that might better suit them and most admissions counselors will find themselves in situation in which they are being managed into failure without any options. - Recent changes to the tuition benefits policy have made 2U's tuition benefits program much more difficult to reasonably take advantage of with out risking a financial backlash. To place this in context, if one wanted to obtain an MBA using 2U's tuition benefit you can expect 5 years of commitment to 2U to do so (including waiting periods, the program itself, and the required time serviced to 2U post degree). Additionally, admissions counselors whom do not escape the line level admissions work or shift departments risk financial repercussions if they do not make their goals (refer to the above con). This means that 2U employees who are still in a program or have completed their degree but are serving their time back may be terminated for any reason and, given 2U's current policy, may be compelled to repay the full amount of tuition payed by 2U. - 2U admissions tends not to practice what it preaches when it comes to outcomes for it's employees. In particular, upper management and the company as a whole cite "student outcomes matter" as primary driver for the 2U's business. This is certainly a noble and worthwhile goal to be sure. But you will find that the on the ground admissions culture revolves much less around counseling students to find the best fit and more around pushing prospects through the funnel regardless to benefit your manager and the program. Furthermore, current 2U admissions practices tend toward a 'what have you done for me lately' attitude among mangers and directors. You'll be an all start when you save the team and your program from going belly up one quarter by draining your pipeline of all viable prospective students. Your goal will then be increased because you succeeded and if you are not able to hit that higher goal you'll be placed on a plan preventing you from advancing to other position and will be put on blast for not performing. - Favoritism is a critical factor in your development and opportunities. This does not need much explanation but keep in mind that 2U is company is populated predominantly by young professionals and recent grads. In many ways this is a good thing and provides much need opportunity. But the click culture is very real at 2U. If you are not good friends and/or drinking buddies with management you are very likely to be passed over opportunities to take on special projects, increased team responsibility for your own development, shifting in to other departmental roles, and higher levels of management within admissions. There are a number of other things that could be covered here but this is a mixed review and 2U is not all doom and gloom. I have listed the major factors potential new admissions counselors might want to consider before accepting an offer from 2U, specifically because 2U and those you interview with will take pains to gloss-over or not mention these realities. You should plan your entry into 2U accordingly.

April 10, 20192U Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your insights into some of our growing pains, especially as we become a global organization, are valuable to understanding what’s most important to our employees. We are a fast-paced company and acknowledge that there is room for improvement as we continue to expand. We will use this feedback to help guide how we invest in our organization and benefits moving forward. If you would like to share more about your experience to help us improve, please email us at feedback@2U.com and reference “my Glassdoor review.”

6. "Culture that can't be beat"

5.0
    Former Employee - Student Support Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked here for 2.5 years out of college and loved my time. Company trips to Disney and South Beach, happy hours for every holiday, and amazing people to become friends with and grow professionally. The way they run as a SAAS company is lean and efficient.

Cons

Upper management was sometimes out of touch with day to day ops

February 14, 20192U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute. While you are now a 2U alumnus, you will always be a part of the 2U story and we are grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

"AC"

I worked at 2U

Pros

Good environment, fun. Very diverse company!

Cons

Upper Management has a disconnect with the front lines

September 27, 20182U Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While you are now a 2U alumnus, you will always be a part of the 2U story and we are grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!

"Trending Downhill"

Current Employee - Admissions Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The sales positions aren't too difficult - Denver office is right downtown.

Cons

- Very little growth in upper management positions as they're almost all out of the MD HQ - Employees are just a number now that the start up culture has died - If you rock the boat or try to solve an issue, you'll probably get fired - 2U does not foster transparency even though it's one of their main positions as a company - The company will spend millions on their company koolaid meeting and hundreds of thousands on Halloween but don't expect a fair wage - Education is the name of this game but your education won't be factored into your salary (have moved to really absurd pay bands in addition) - Toxcicity is the dysentery to this company's Oregon Trail - In the Denver market, working for this company is getting a bad rap (mid-2018+)

August 10, 20182U Communications

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are concerned to hear about your negative experience. Our employees and culture are a priority at 2U and that includes the support to help you grow within your career. That’s why we create development guides for our 2Utes that provide both individual contributors and managers clarity around what it takes to be successful in their current roles as well as desired future roles. In addition to defining skills and behaviors necessary for success, the guides provide targeted suggestions for professional development activities and training to enhance specific competencies. We encourage you to talk with your manager and request constructive feedback and a plan outlining what you need to accomplish to position yourself for the next step in your career. If you would like to share additional suggestions for how we can continue to improve the experience for our employees, email feedback@2U.com and reference "My Glassdoor Review."

"Great place to start a career, but, needs to care more about employees"

2.0
    Former Freelancer - Staff in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission of the company is great and is advancing education technology rapidly.

Cons

Many departments are going through growing pains and losing a lot of great people. Management is turning over and tearing the culture that helps hold the company together. In addition, many of the new upper management brought in do not take the time to learn and understand the processes of the existing systems and pain points. Teams are understaffed and growth can be limited depending on the team you are a part of. In turn creating many unrealistic expectations, absurd deadlines, and unhealthy hours. Overtime is not recognized with appropriate compensation/promotion.

Continue reading

"Successful company, unhealthy work environment"

2.0
    Former Employee - Web Developer in New York, NY

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yearly extravagant company party Tuition benefits Exposure to new technologies Some departments (marketing, student relations) have very healthy and supportive cultures Fast-growing company with robust, long shelf-life products Resume booster

Cons

Unprofessional upper management (lots of social / "interpersonal" antics behind the scenes), will use rude / profane / "because that's the way it is" tactics Non-competitive salary, differing greatly from employee to employee, dept to dept. They will pay you as little as possible for as long as possible, if you do not push for advancement, going so far as to delay employee reviews to avoid discussing it. Rates are gender-biased and background-dependent (as opposed to skill-dependent) High turnover for developers who join with extensive experience ("junior" developers tend to stay a year or more, senior hires often leave within months for better culture, better pay) Compartmentalization of duties is not always efficient (designers coding, coders designing, etc)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 English Reviews