2nd & Charles Reviews | Glassdoor

2nd & Charles Reviews

Updated April 6, 2019

Terrance G. Finley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The employee discount is pretty gosh darn amazing and almost worth having to put up with everything else" (in 23 reviews)

• "Great employee discount; variety of amazing coworkers; little to no dress code" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Turning into Books A Million, not having our own identity" (in 8 reviews)

• "2NC went way downhill after going private and firing / losing some great upper management / corporate employees" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Cool"

I have been working at 2nd & Charles full-time

Pros

Games and books. Lobe customers

Cons

Hours. Not much else really

2. "Needs improvement!"

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at 2nd & Charles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool things arrive all the time!
    Super easy! Yet still had its challenges.

Cons

Pay sucked.
    Being full time I got the hours but I was way under paid for my skills.
    No room to grow unless you want to travel. Since 2nd and Charles isn’t a big company and still growing, unless you are willing to travel and they aren’t close to each other! (which they will only pay a GM to move) then good luck.

Advice to Management

Pay you’re employees more and you might find a decent worker that wants to stay longer then a year and improve your turn over rate. Have better training for your employees.

3. "The job is fun most of the time but the pay is a joke."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Buford, GA

I have been working at 2nd & Charles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to hang out in a super awesome environment, surrounded by all of your favorite things, and you get to wear almost anything you want.

The co-workers and shoppers are pretty cool for the most part, it's still a retail job.

Discount is okay.

Cons

I've worked retail for 6 years and over half of that as a key holder and they still started me off at $8.00 an hour.
    For a used book store they make a lot of money but the retail employees aren't seeing any of it.

They don't believe in cross training so whatever position you apply for make sure that's what you want to do during your time with this company.

As a cashier there's a lot of pressure on you (and only you) to upsale and push magazine subscriptions as well as whatever charity donation thing the company might be participating in, plus they want you to get a certain amount of online orders in store but they don't offer any incentive to the customer, like free shipping, and you get spoken to because your not hitting the unrealistic goals they set before you.

Advice to Management

Pay your people a liveable wage.

Better discounts.
    Like maybe once a month allow one used item to be sold at 70% off.

Figure out a way for employees to use their discount online.

Better training in the retail stores.
    I'm one of those types who love to learn how to do anything and everything, and 2nc is the only job I've worked at where they frown upon that kind of thinking.

4. "Solid job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

I worked at 2nd & Charles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. The workers super nice and fun to talk to

Cons

A lot of responsibility for near minimum wage

Advice to Management

Up the pay

"Work here if you have no financial responsibilities and plenty of xanax"

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at 2nd & Charles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything but your higher ups

Cons

Jesus Christ...the amount of stress you will put both your body and mind through is absolutely not worth the insulting pay. This job puts you through emotional LABOR™️ due to higher-ups and their miscommunication, their favoritism, their laziness, and the ever changing rules. Lead positions and management positions are practically thrown at people and whoever is in the right place right time gets to pick one up. Work ethic and customer service is apparently not a deciding factor. No one has answers when directly asked why this person or that person is deserving of this position above “associate” despite there being plenty of evidence proving how terrible that person is at their job. Seniority also trumps work ethic and customer service.

Advice to Management

Stop exploiting your workers. Offer a respectable wage, enforce work procedures THOROUGHLY through your stores, and then PAY ATTENTION to who follows them. Offer paid maternity leave and vacation time like a decent group of human beings would. And for the love of God, if a store is overflowing with a certain type of media, even after multiple sales, allow us to stop taking it in through buyback. If you won’t do it for us, do it for our poor warehouses.

6. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at 2nd & Charles part-time

Pros

First picks on items that are bought in. No dress code.

Cons

Low pay for heavy workload (shelving daily).

Advice to Management

Throw away magazines

7. "Associate"

I have been working at 2nd & Charles part-time

Pros

Employee discount. Fun coworkers. If you love shelving books, this is the job for you.

Cons

Management doesn’t know what they’re doing; I suspect this is because they do not have proper training and/or support

Advice to Management

GMs, You’re doing the best you can given your resources. You deserve better; ask for help. DM’s on up, figure out a way to offer real leadership and training to your management teams. There is plenty of literature out there as well as organizations that you can outsource if you feel less than capable. There’s no shame in admitting you don’t know what to do. There is shame in not seeking out help for your people.

"Know What You Are Getting In To"

Current Employee - Associate in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Associate in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at 2nd & Charles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool environment, get to see a bunch of cool items come through the store, 30% discount on used items is useful.

Cons

Pay is terrible, raises are shoddy at best, especially considering that the employment age requirement is 18+, preferably with prior retail experience. Corporate has very little idea of what happens in the stores and as a result sets unobtainable goals, and certain officials have a tendency to treat associates like children. Instead of bonuses they jave "Make your Marks, which are basically merit point that can be exchanged for merch or giftcards on an online store. The only way to gain any kind of recognition or have a reliable stream of "marks" is to man the register and either get magazine subscriptions or whatever the donation drive is that is going on that quarter. Other than that you are entirely reliant on a customer remembering your name and taking the survey. There is no other way the recieve a bonus. If you work in buyback you have to be willing to handle items with mold, heavy dust, live bugs, or animal urine as you will have someone try to sell them to you. You will also have to deal with a customer getting hostile due to the time estimate being inaccurate, not getting as much money as they wanted for their items, or having all their items returned for mold damage and potential spreading.

Advice to Management

Pay the associates more, and treat us like adults. We are the lifeblood of the store as well as the face of the company, yet many of us are stressed because we cannot meet our financial obligations or afford to eat, or come in sick and end up spreading a virulent disease around because we cannot afford to call in. Find a way to reward sales associates. We should not be rewarded for doing quality work all in our areas, not solely for being able to man a register. That should not be the deciding value of an individual for the company. Back up your employees. There is an incredible us and them mentality between the associates and the managers, as well as the associates and corporate.

"Fun, But Definitely A Struggle"

Current Employee - Associate in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Conroe, TX

I have been working at 2nd & Charles part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work with some of the best employees! I get to learn more about hot things in pop culture while in return I exchange my knowledge. It’s an inner circle of great ideas. There’s that sweet 30% discount.

Helping a customer find a book or a movie is a joy, and I love helping out at events when I can. Finally, even though there are times everyone wants more hours, they have a pretty good understanding of life outside of work.

Cons

We do so much at the store that $7.50 an hour just doesn’t seem fair.
    I do not like the magazine program. The extra pay is nice but I hate having to ask every customer about it. A lot of them think it’s a scam, and I have been yelled at multiple times when a charge appears on their card. Even when I try to explain it’s not a scam, people get so protective of their privacy to the point where they’re rejecting me every time, my scores look bad, and my schedule gets affected.
    I also am frustrated with the company’s push to only do social media advertising. My location is old school, and while we have lots of young customers, we also have plenty of baby boomer shoppers who don’t have email addresses or Facebook. How are we supposed to get the word out if half of our customers don’t even use social media? We’ve been open since December and I still hear customers telling me, “I didn’t know you guys existed!”

Advice to Management

For all the work that goes into a typical day at 2nd & Charles, pay needs to be better.
    I think the magazine program should be more seen as a little bonus than a reliable source of a full schedule.
    I feel we’ve been shutting out the older customers who visit and enjoy our store, so old school marketing like newspaper ads and radio promotions would be beneficial for our location.

10. "Nerd Heaven"

I have been working at 2nd & Charles full-time

Pros

It's just a great place to be.

Cons

Some customers dont seem to understand that its partially a used store