3 Day Blinds Design Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Design Consultant

3.8
Dave Hall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Design Consultant is a Sales job (in 8 reviews)

• Able to set own schedule, option to have holidays off ( not paid) & work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a fair amount of turnover in the customer service department, and working with newer reps can be an extreme challenge (in 9 reviews)

• They constantly talk about the fabulous Bonus structure yet it is near impossible to earn because they go by error rate of 1% and under (in 6 reviews)

"LOVE MY JOB & 3 DAY BLINDS"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my clients and I am passionate about making their homes beautiful! This job is about waking up and giving your 300% . How lucky am I - I get to meet the most interesting people every day! In my very long career I have never been able to encounter such fabulous people and hear who they are, where they come from and what they have done in their lives. I LOVE IT! Our fierce leader and team of Design Consultants are the BEST! Me being a very critical recruiter in years past can say we have the most dynamic, intelligent and inclusive team - whom all truly love each other! When needed we lift each other up and together we can conquer anything! Our team is very professional and on point with regards to knowing our company and the products we sell. WE as a team are VERY STRONG and anyone who joins us will see they have an opportunity to work with some of the best in the industry. I think if our team had a motto it would be "WORK ETHIC STRONG"!

Cons

WISH I had known about this job years ago!

Advice to Management

Recruiting and Training are the key to the success of this company!

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have no Pros with company

Cons

You have no life working for this company. No days OFF and unrealistic hours. Your getting calls after 10 pm emails after midnight. Working with this company YOU HAVE NO LIFE. STAYED WITH COMPANY WAY TOO LONG!

Advice to Management

Be totally honest with the person that you are interviewing. 1. Long hours (not legal) you work over 60 hours a week. Even on your day off, nights and Sundays. If you do not respond to a email or call you pay for it.... Can't even go to Church on Sundays because you are always on CALL 24/7.... IF I WAS TOLD THIS WHEN INTERVIEWED NEVER WOULD OF ACCEPTED THE OFFER.

"Learned where our product was made in training"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a a rebuttal review. I am proud to say we make our hard treatments in Ensenada, Mexico, soft fabrics treatments in Oakland, CA and shutters in China. We also employ (gotta fact check this, not sure) about 400-450 people throughout the country. Nothing wrong with that!
    Design Consultant is a Sales job. You get from it what you put into it. Don't whine about your boss, you are your own boss in sales.
    IT Team - second to none!

Cons

Some paid vacation days would be good.
    Also hard to conceptualize the Customer Service team and IT team at headquarters in CA from NJ.

Advice to Management

Perhaps as part of training, video chat with Customer Support and IT teams to meet people face to face.

"This is a Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Phila, PA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has their act together. They make quality products and stand behind them. They offer good benefits and incentives. Earning potential is very good.

Cons

You will spend a lot of time driving. They do reimburse $0.54 a mile plus tolls but you will put an incredible number of miles on your car. Also, no paid vacation.

5. "All products are made in Mexico and China, but they tell their clients they're made in US. Revolving door"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In depth training at several of their facilities, the trainers are amazing, very helpful and will like to actually see you succeed inside their training center.

Cons

Working with a manager who has her favorites and takes appointments away from you to give to her top sales people; the manager pretends to know it all but when you ask a question she tells you to call customer service, this company is a revolving door, the people that I trained with are all currently gone from the company within weeks, poor management skills especially when management plays favorites and purposely messes with your sales quota and gives fake appointments to give away real appointments to senior sales reps for an easy sell. This is a sales position, BUT YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO PREQUALIFY THE SALE; this particular manager is sneaky and will pretend she has your best interest, but don't be fooled, she isn't a team player. Again she has her favorites, whom she resorts to for answers to questions she should know and pushes off her responsibilities onto them. Products are very expensive and the quality doesn't justify the price. The commission and bonus structure and "errors" is set up for you to fail and the manager will take a customers word before she does her own hardworking employees. I won't be here for long, this company and the New Jersey territory is a revolving door. And it has all to do with management.

Advice to Management

Instead of leading with an iron fist, try leading by example. Maybe learn the products that you are pushing your employees to sell and stop pushing your responsibilities onto your top sales people. Believe me, they say yes to helping, because they're team players, but they don't want to do something that is managements responsibility. Leaders lead by example, the weak ones who don't know how to lead are the issue.

"A great place for a Designer with drive!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been an interior designer for about 8 years before joining 3 Day Blinds. This is my first commission based job so I was a little nervous. But after going through the training and getting set up the way they do, I feel its a great place to be. It's a slow start at first, so don't get frustrated, but for the majority of my week, I have a full schedule of appointments, which is great that the leads come in so much! I'm in the San Diego District and I love our team here. Everyone is open to giving advice and answering questions, not just from my District Sales Manager, but also the other designers. It's refreshing to be able to work well with other designers! Tarnia is my District Sales manager and she's been a gem! I work best with positive management that's open to questions and not only is she helpful with questions, she really takes to heart questions and concerns from myself and the team. So I find myself so lucky to have been placed with a great manager! I love the job too, I'm a talker so it's fun for me to meet new clients everyday. I like that I can use my design skills everyday with clients, I wish I would of looked into this company sooner! I would recommend this for any designer that's open to change and hustle!

Cons

You've got to love this work! The hours can sometimes be long, so you really have to manage your time well. Organization is key and the technology will help you, but you have to be open to it! I don't mind it because some days can be long, other short, so its a give and take. Overall it's still pretty good. This is also made for someone that hustles! You definitely can't sit back and hope clients will buy from you. You need to really be on your game and follow-though! Eye to detail is also key! Make sure to double check your work, don't let errors take over! That's really the only hurdle you have, yourself! Give yourself a learning curb, of course you may not be making the big bucks at first, but hang in there! This company is in it for the long haul!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I love that we change and adapt with feedback from everyone in the company, I'm a believer in change for the good and every time we've made a change it's made my job easier. So thumbs up!

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at 3day for a few months, and am amazed with the extensive training they provide. 3day also has a great support staff to help sales people with whatever they need. I am looking forward to my success at 3day.
    3day also has a nice benefits package, the health insurance is important to me!!

Cons

Lot's of driving, just have to be patient.

"Sales/Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are not sitting in an office all day. You have some flexibility in your day and you meet new people every day. You are provided the training and all the resources you need to be competent in your job. Able to work from home/car. You can earn decent money if you can sell and pay attention to details. If you generate your own business, the income gets better.

Cons

Dealing with clients can be difficult at times. Need to make sure clients understand all the details of their order, so you don't have issues after installation. Can still be working late at night processing orders and responding to emails.

Advice to Management

Decrease turnover in customer care. Being able to get accurate and quick answers to questions is key. Better response time to clients having issues.

9. "Having a fun job"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like design and people this job is for you. It feels wonderful to help people select window treatments.

Cons

There is mileage put on your car but gas is reimbursed!

Advice to Management

They have a wonderful staff behind us that is so helpful. Keep it up!

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job is you like meeting new people on a daily basis. Company gives fabulous training and fabulous resources once you are in the field. It is entirely up to the Design Consultant on how much you want to earn and how you build your business. 3 Day does provide appointments and Design Consultant can add as many of their own as they can/want. Self generated appointments are compensated higher than company generated appointments. They make a great product and back it with a great team. This is a commissioned job with a minimum guarantee the first year in the field. Mileage included and health benefits available.I am over 60 and can take the time off I need to visit my kids and grand kids and still make a good living. I love this job!

Cons

If you are not people oriented, going into "strangers" homes every day and turning them into friends will be exhausting. This is not a job for shy or lazy people. If you are people oriented you will have a blast and make a very good living.