3 Day Blinds Design Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Design Consultant

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Hall

Pros
  • I have been employed as a Design Consultant with 3 Day Blinds for 5 years (in 7 reviews)

• Able to set own schedule, option to have holidays off ( not paid) & work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a fair amount of turnover in the customer service department, and working with newer reps can be an extreme challenge (in 7 reviews)

• They constantly talk about the fabulous Bonus structure yet it is near impossible to earn because they go by error rate of 1% and under (in 6 reviews)

"A great place for a Designer with drive!"

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been an interior designer for about 8 years before joining 3 Day Blinds. This is my first commission based job so I was a little nervous. But after going through the training and getting set up the way they do, I feel its a great place to be. It's a slow start at first, so don't get frustrated, but for the majority of my week, I have a full schedule of appointments, which is great that the leads come in so much! I'm in the San Diego District and I love our team here. Everyone is open to giving advice and answering questions, not just from my District Sales Manager, but also the other designers. It's refreshing to be able to work well with other designers! Tarnia is my District Sales manager and she's been a gem! I work best with positive management that's open to questions and not only is she helpful with questions, she really takes to heart questions and concerns from myself and the team. So I find myself so lucky to have been placed with a great manager! I love the job too, I'm a talker so it's fun for me to meet new clients everyday. I like that I can use my design skills everyday with clients, I wish I would of looked into this company sooner! I would recommend this for any designer that's open to change and hustle!

Cons

You've got to love this work! The hours can sometimes be long, so you really have to manage your time well. Organization is key and the technology will help you, but you have to be open to it! I don't mind it because some days can be long, other short, so its a give and take. Overall it's still pretty good. This is also made for someone that hustles! You definitely can't sit back and hope clients will buy from you. You need to really be on your game and follow-though! Eye to detail is also key! Make sure to double check your work, don't let errors take over! That's really the only hurdle you have, yourself! Give yourself a learning curb, of course you may not be making the big bucks at first, but hang in there! This company is in it for the long haul!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, I love that we change and adapt with feedback from everyone in the company, I'm a believer in change for the good and every time we've made a change it's made my job easier. So thumbs up!

2. "Having a fun job"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like design and people this job is for you. It feels wonderful to help people select window treatments.

Cons

There is mileage put on your car but gas is reimbursed!

Advice to Management

They have a wonderful staff behind us that is so helpful. Keep it up!

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job is you like meeting new people on a daily basis. Company gives fabulous training and fabulous resources once you are in the field. It is entirely up to the Design Consultant on how much you want to earn and how you build your business. 3 Day does provide appointments and Design Consultant can add as many of their own as they can/want. Self generated appointments are compensated higher than company generated appointments. They make a great product and back it with a great team. This is a commissioned job with a minimum guarantee the first year in the field. Mileage included and health benefits available.I am over 60 and can take the time off I need to visit my kids and grand kids and still make a good living. I love this job!

Cons

If you are not people oriented, going into "strangers" homes every day and turning them into friends will be exhausting. This is not a job for shy or lazy people. If you are people oriented you will have a blast and make a very good living.

5. "Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at 3day for a few months, and am amazed with the extensive training they provide. 3day also has a great support staff to help sales people with whatever they need. I am looking forward to my success at 3day.
    3day also has a nice benefits package, the health insurance is important to me!!

Cons

Lot's of driving, just have to be patient.

6. "Sales/Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are not sitting in an office all day. You have some flexibility in your day and you meet new people every day. You are provided the training and all the resources you need to be competent in your job. Able to work from home/car. You can earn decent money if you can sell and pay attention to details. If you generate your own business, the income gets better.

Cons

Dealing with clients can be difficult at times. Need to make sure clients understand all the details of their order, so you don't have issues after installation. Can still be working late at night processing orders and responding to emails.

Advice to Management

Decrease turnover in customer care. Being able to get accurate and quick answers to questions is key. Better response time to clients having issues.

"Coffee is for Closers"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunity to make extremely good money is given with 3DB. As a full time salesperson, I have the opportunity to make a $9000 bonus every month PLUS commission.

Hours can be flexible if you are skilled at time management. If you have background being self employed or having autonomy with your schedule, you can work smarter, not harder, and make a great living while you do it. HOWEVER if you want to make 9k+Commission every month (about $15-16k monthy, on average) you have to work all the time. This includes weekends and evenings much of the time. But again if you have time management skills you can make those meetings short and sweet. You would need to know your products inside and out to cut down on time spent working, and that takes a considerable amount of time to learn.

If you are a "people person" this job is fun. Yes there are days when it's horrifying, that's true of any job in the world. But mostly it's decent, can be fun. I have met great people on my sales appointments. And it's not a dog-eat-dog environment, at least in my district. We are not pitted against each other so much like you will find in a closed sales environment, like if you work inside sales and see the same salespeople every hour of the work day and have to "fight" for customers. We are given territories that are geographically and success driven, there's very little competition amongst ourselves.

Upper UPPER management is within reach. I don't think newer people are aware of this, but most of the "big wigs" would be happy to talk to you if you need something.

Cons

There is a fair amount of turnover in the customer service department, and working with newer reps can be an extreme challenge. The lack of product knowledge at the corporate level is astonishing to me at times and can make my job very difficult.

The Blame Game is played every day. You need to be extremely diligent in making sure you cover every base and explain every detail and get everything signed and initialed or it's your paycheck on the line. Having an Error Rate over 1% of your sales will take your 9k bonus down to 3k. And also to get to that highest bonus level, it is extremely difficult. Most reps will not make 9k a month. Your errors stay with you for 3 months. So if you screw up, your paycheck will be affected (basically 2/3 of it taken away) for 3 months.

When and if you DO hit the highest bonus level of 9k, they say it is "unlimited bonus earnings" because if you sell another 15k you can tack on $500 to that bonus. Selling 15K is worth a whole lot more than a measly $500 and I feel that the bonuses should raise exponentially. It's very, very difficult to hit those high levels, and if you do, you should be paid accordingly.

Advice to Management

My direct supervisor, Tarnia Prater, is AH-MAY-ZING!!! I have had 2 other district managers in my time at the company and by leaps and bounds, Tarnia is the best. Having had a background of self-employment, I might not be the easiest person to "manage" and my boss understands that and gives me plenty of opportunity to do my job successfully. I do not need to be micromanaged, so she does not. I have team members that definitely do need to be micromanaged, so she does. Best part about her management style is that it's fairly tailored to each of us as needed. She takes the time to really get to know each of us and our successes and struggles and works with everyone individually, as well as getting us in a group so we can help eachother. My past managers were either extremely negative personality types, or inefficient management types. The contrast is stunning.

My other advice to management in other departments would just be to listen to the struggles or advice from the front lines, the design consultants. We are the ones that see the actual products, know what could be done better, what styles are in demand, etc. Working "inside the bubble" seems to be an area for improvement at times.

8. "It is what you make it!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Columbus, OH

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 Day is an awesome company to start out with. They deliver a great product, the support for employees and customers is the best in the industry in my opinion. The appointments provided are well sourced and the potential is there for fantastic compensation.

Cons

The compensation structure is such that real opportunities to make a lot of money come from self generated leads. It's not to say there is no money to be made from the appointments they set for you, but referrals, business partnerships and other ways to drive your own leads results in much higher paychecks.

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my LMC. If it wasn't for her, I would not be around.

Cons

The error rate will cut your pay check in half.

Advice to Management

Eliminate errors from the DC's. You lose motivation when you receive an error. It takes 3 months for the error to go away. It only takes $1,000 to lose your entire bonus for 3 months. At the very least, we should double bonus with our shipping.

"Some Good, Some Bad"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Phila, PA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best training in the industry, bi-weekly sales meetings. Excellent upper level management. Product quality is second to none.

Cons

District Sales Managers have to much leeway. Can adjust territory without warning. If you are not one of the favorites can make it very hard to be successful. While product is excellent it is very expensive. Error rate makes it very hard to make bonuses. No salary, only commission.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intense paid training. You will walk away with a wealth of knowledge. Provide reps with technology, phones, thinkpad, samples

Cons

After paid training you are on commission only. The problem is every coupon, discount, comes from the reps pocket. There were times when I was working for free. My region was suppose to be local however there were times I was driving close to LA over and hour away. I had to use my car and gas. no reimbursement. The kicker was you were suppose to get 3 leads a day. I was getting 2 leads on a good day. and sometimes no at all. They claim you can make $60k + not a chance.

Advice to Management

You have a high turn over rate because you make false income claims. Why pay for training and then leave the sales rep to die in the field. It would suit you to pay a base salary with commission as opposed to nothing. Also, the shipping issue is a nightmare. I had clients items backordered for a month at a time with no communication.