3 Day Blinds "design consultants" Reviews | Glassdoor

3 Day Blinds Employee Reviews about "design consultants"

Updated Aug 26, 2019

Found 159 reviews

3.6
3 Day Blinds CEO Dave Hall (no image)
Dave Hall
Pros
  • "Always receiving current updated samples for style changes(in 12 reviews)

• "I love working as a Design Consultant with 3 Day Blinds because of the flexible schedule, great pay with an awesome bonus structure and amazing support(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "but you have customer service support, manager support, and coworkers are always eager and willing to help(in 10 reviews)

• "no vacation or sick pay for design consultants(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "design consultants"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "I am currently employed as a Design Consultant at 3 Day Blinds and love it!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

3 Day Blinds offers it's Design Consultants a supportive work environment with stability, flexibility and opportunity. They are very involved and take great care of their customers and employees. It is a great company to work for!

Cons

Since 3 Day Blinds offers custom made window treatments, it can be a little nerve racking as a Design Consultant to not make errors and disappoint your Client. But the company offers great in class and in the field training to help reduce the chance of making a mistake.

Advice to Management

Continue to go above and beyond to make your employees and customers happy!

3 Day Blinds2018-11-09

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company offers good training and all tools necessary for you to succeed.

Cons

You must work one weekend day. I don't believe they allow part time Design Consultants.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

3 Day Blinds2018-03-18

"Great Opportunity IF you live in a large city"

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Redding, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent in-depth product training, Not a high-stress environment, Autonomy and Freedom, Good Products, Great Warranty, Good Bonuses

Cons

Compensation Plan for Design Consultants needs to change (the design consultant is penalized commission for discounting in order to be competitive), Managers are stretched very thin sometimes, you will put a lot of miles on your vehicle. If you are not in a large city, and in more of a remote area, the level of support you will receive will be different.

Advice to Management

Don't enter a new market if you don't know anything about the area and are not willing to do the research, or generate the marketing activities to help the new market succeed. A 'one size fits all' marketing approach does not work in all markets. Communication needs to improve as well. If a Design Consultant calls or emails someone at the corporate office that person should not be ignored.

3 Day Blinds2017-11-08

"Very tough job with tremendous amount of responsibility for average pay."

Current Employee - Design Consultant (DC) in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's easy to get hired because it's a commission job. They will give you a chance. It's interesting work once you gain some skills. There is a creative aspect to the job and sometimes you can control your schedule to have a break in the day to handle personal things between appointments. Benefits are good. I have a great manager.

Cons

There is no base salary and there are mandatory meetings and phone calls you aren't compensated for. You will be expected to help train new hires with no compensation. Sometimes you get involved in customer service issues for customers that aren't yours, so again, no compensation. There are no longer many employees on salary that are available to help with these issues. During the interview you'll hear about that... it's possible to earn over 100K year. There are a few, but it's not realistic for the majority. The commissions are too low. You'll need to bonus monthly to make an living, which would be great if the bonus were solely based on production. It's tied to your accuracy. This seems to make sense, but there's an error system that is set up to work against the DC because every customer service issue is automatically charged against the DC including production errors, installer mistakes and misunderstandings, the customer doesn't like their choice, etc. The burden of proof of how the "error" occurred is placed on the DC. It's time consuming and often sits on your record for months. I often wonder if I ever recap the money I've missed out on as I'm waiting for resolution. It really gets old. Marketing is good, but there are times you won't have many company generated appointments to keep you busy. It depends on the seasons, economy and your Manager. Appointments can be distributed unfairly usually based on a sales report that is not accurate. The months go in cycles, you'll have a good one, then you'll be short of cash the next. Very difficult to accumulate savings or meet your financial goals. YOU"LL NEED A BACK UP FUND indefinitely, and it doesn't matter how good you are. Many things are out of your control when working for someone else. The customers continually receive discount coupons and your pay is reduced when they use them. You will not "always get 10%" like I see in a review below. It is not like running your own business. You may have low supervision, but you do not have control over pricing or design options. In this industry there is a 40/60 rule. You'll get an average of 60% of the customers. 40% of the time you are working for free. Driving, designing, measuring, providing samples, rebidding & redesigning. Some projects won't fit into the 3 Day Blinds process. Someone actually said in another review all a Design Consultant has to to is push a button? Honestly. Is any job as easy as pushing a button? You'll need to drive to see the customer, help them figure out what they can do with their project, price it right, do your research and know all the variations, enter them into the software system perfectly, and be real sure there are no errors before you push that button or your pay will be reduced 90 days.

Advice to Management

Advice to Executive Management. The expectations on the design team are unrealistic if you have any interest in retaining designers. I've watched designers come an go. The installers get tired of helping train DCs. They want skilled designers to work with. Is this the goal to keep bringing on fresh sales people and burning them out? If so, it's working. This job is tough, I'm surprised this isn't considered a... skilled labor position that is treated with some kind of value as opposed to a sales job where salespersons are expendable. The company gives us the first 4 weeks of training, and we provide the rest for ourselves. Our skills are self taught. This is a "learn by trying" job. And we pay for that with the error penalty. The initial training only gets us partially ready to run. There isn't enough continuing support. We need accessible trainers in our own districts that get paid to help us. Not by joining our appointments and evaluating if we recited the 6 step process, but by coming out to a job site if necessary and helping us measure and design it when needed. We can all sell. Anyone who can't talk to people and get hired would never try this. This person could also visit customers and handle customer issues. Not everything can be done remotely, or be done by a commissioned employee. New hires need to go on a training schedule with experienced salaried trainers and the customers need to be aware of what is going on. Don't just drop them in on our appointments and expect us to train for free. We are already volunteering on our own time to go see if we can get the customers to give us work. It takes a long time to become accomplished as a DC, but we have no security. Scheduling is getting better in the last 6 months, but invest in a software program that shows the map layout of the appointments and schedule the customers within proximity of each other. There's too much pressure to work 12 hour days 7 days a week and holidays. Organize! I can do more appointments if they are close together. Some of the sales process is outdated and too "salesman-y" Customers don't like that. We are told we are a retail business. I don't think so. This is a service business. We can't compete on retail, our prices are higher than others. Customers want service that's why they call us and why they'll pay extra to have an experienced designer help them. So why is high turnover acceptable? Offer us some security and a fair program to deal with reorders. I can't recommend my job to others because my friends can't understand why I keep doing it. It's a lot of pressure for low pay. They always ask me "Has anyone in upper management actually done your job?" I guess the answer is I've not completely burned out yet. Too bad. I put a lot of work into this and my customers really like my work.

3 Day Blinds2015-07-22

"Customer care rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bagels on Fridays and plenty of overtime. Co-workers are great. Team spirit and casual. Location in Irvine.

Cons

Pay does not match the work; case management and call center job in one; ridiculous redundancy between computer systems; disrespect from installers, design consultants and upper management. The leads watch your queue while you go to the bathroom and then send another lead to check. Stress level and case load is HIGH, and if you forget something during a monitoring you're "coached". The constant monitoring and... coaching. Every mail is "CC" some manager or VP so watch out. The turn over rate is HIGH HIGH HIGH. Reps come and go because of the case load and stress. One day your rep next to you is at their cubicle and next day they are no longer with the company. Pay is way too low for the responsibility. You must deal with complaints from customers because of the design consultants, installers and shippers. Expect to get yelled and hung up on then the supervisor just compensates the customer and apologizes while you take the next problem phone call.

Advice to Management

Question: why can't you keep employees in your call center? Or just hire new people and hand out xboxes to keep the ones that stay.

3 Day Blinds2015-06-03

"A growing company that really gives you every opportunity to succeed"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company give you free: Tablet/laptop,Smart Phone with free wifi, Printer,Really pretty color marketing material 5 Weeks of paid training. If you have to travel to train, they pay for hotels, cars,food. If you commute they still pay for your gas.The training is really good. We go through hard window treatments as well as drapery. We also were trained on how to give a quote inside the home. We also had dedicated... sales training days. After training we had a 3 day blinds employee help us on our first few appointments so we had plenty of support because we were new. This company is growing. The appointments are given to us. That's awesome! They company allows us to get our own leads and pays us better money if we close our own leads. Don't listen to the stupidity below regarding "never get 10%" That's just not true. You always get 10%. The amount of revenue you bring is reduced (because you gave a bigger discount) but you still get 10%. And I am sorry but last time I checked you have to earn your money, not simply demand it. Yes you have to follow up with customers, that's so you can close the sale if you couldn't sell in the home. You have to finalize orders and push them into production. Hello! that means you got the sale! why would anyone complain about getting the sale and literally hitting 2 buttons to send it into production. If you do have a couple of errors, the company does research it, they speak with the installers and they let you know by email and ask if you to provide documentation in the research. Our manager goes to bat for us if we can prove it was not our fault. If it is your fault then you own it and eventually it falls off your record. You still get paid bonus every month and still get 10% commission.

Cons

A company that grows can have growing pains. They are several new design consultants and it takes time for them to get their legs underneath them. They are not priced as low as Home Depot or Lowes, but when you actually see the products and understand the difference it makes sense. We are not as cheap as Home Depot, but not as expensive as Hunter Douglas. We fall into the middle. If you want a cut down product that... will warp in a year, go ahead and go to a big box. If you want a custom product that will last decades, call me.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in really good products, apps for smart phones would be great. Get rid of the negative people who are just complainers who want everything done for them and keep the people who want to work hard to make a great living.

3 Day Blinds2015-02-26

"Great place to work as a design consultant in Denver"

Design Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

Feels like you are running your own business without having the responsibility of owning your own business. Lots of opportunity to make great income. Plenty of support from local district manager and the corporate office. 401K and health/dental/vision is available.

Cons

Really no cons...no vacation or sick pay for design consultants.

3 Day Blinds2015-03-04

"DONT DO IT! You're worth more."

Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to set own schedule, option to have holidays off ( not paid) & work from home. Seriously, that's it..

Cons

Where to begin.. ok sales training, and ok product training.. training is about a month and you will be staying in different hotels the whole time except weekends. You will have to pay the hotel fee upfront (100 bucks at each check in will be taken from your card until you check out ) You will get 600 a week while in training, so enjoy it while you have a steady income for a month. Expect to do a lot of computer... training modules and sales role playing. Beyond boring. This is not an interior design type of career. I was fooled too. Commission is "10%" although you literally never get 10%. All discounts and company promos come out of your hard earned money. When you're in training, they all say its easy to make 100K a year.. Yeah right!!! You will be screwed financially if your error rate exceeds 1%, because you wont be able to receive a bonus. If there's an error on one of your orders, even if its not your fault, it will automatically be assumed it was. They dont do the needed research to find out if it was a production error, install error or in fact the Design consultants error even when all it takes is looking at the invoice in most cases. You get an email advising of the error and even though Design consultants are in the field all day, customer care expects you to email them back that day before they go home around 5. If you dont reply or unable to reply ( usually in customers home until 7 pm) the error will be processed against you regardless. If you're able to fight it, it take forever to get it cleared. You never really feel supported while out in the field, you're kinda just on your own. You get more support from your fellow consultants rather than your manager. Its really hard to sell a companies products that are double, if not triple the cost of competitors prices. Product quality is good, but most people still cant justify the cost. I have been yelled at and asked to leave homes after they find out product pricing because its that hard to believe and they feel ripped off. Pretty much every customer will have 3 other bids from more cost effective companies, so good luck with that. You will also have to do ride alongs with managers monthly to prove that you know what you're doing. Most customers find this to be awkward to have multiple people in their home at once especially if one is just standing there the whole time. Makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere and harder to close the sale same day in my opinion. You will be expected to attend district meetings twice a month, sometimes more. Then there's also sales conference calls twice a month too that you have to listen in on. Its just basic sales babble and numbers that daily emails also go over. You will be working all day. Even after appointments you will still have to come home and work. Finalizing or adjusting orders, follow up, pre calls.. ugh. Your car will be overflowing with sample bags! Huge, heavy bag fulls. Takes up my whole trunk and 3/4 of my back seat. This is a pain with grocery shopping, kids or even friends that need a seat. Too heavy to move in and out constantly. Bottom line is that you have to work so much to get just an ok paycheck. Sometimes that paycheck will be zero even when you work your butt off. Extremely unreliable income. No PTO, no sick days or vacation days. Sometimes I go with no days off just to make a few more bucks. I have been looking for another job frantically so i can leave this disaster of a job. BEWARE. Not worth the hassle or effort.

Advice to Management

At least have a base salary.. i think a lot more employees would stick around if they were compensated decently.

3 Day Blinds2015-01-28