38 Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
38 Studios CEO Jennifer MacLean
Jennifer MacLean

1. "Was great till it closed down"

Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome professionals and everyone was very friendly; felt like a family with good pay and great benefits.

Cons

Closed down and was not paid for a few months but yet held under contract while the company tried to save itself; which it could not.

Advice to Management

Next time; don't take "free money" from the state; and DONT move your studio to Rhode island.

2. "Working at 38 Studios was challenging and enjoyable."

I worked at 38 Studios full-time

Pros

Everyone was committed to creating the best product possible. Curt provided great leadership to a group of over-achievers. Everyone was passionate about doing the best and leaving no option un-tried.

Cons

Investors and partners (especially Rhode Island politicians) were not prepared to weather the costs and duration of a major software development lifecycle (building a large software product lasts longer than a politician's re-election cycle).

Advice to Management

All levels of senior management made time to visit and understand challenges that we were dealing with. They recognized the challenge of such a broad project.

3. "Bitter sweet"

Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing leadership at my department's lead level. The talent and skill level of the art team is certainly the most robust I have ever experienced. I have never been so inspired to come to work.

Amazing benefits. The owner of the company was the nicest guy I ever met and meant well for everyone.

Cons

The studio went far too long without an engineering team and suffered from over staffing other departments. Some departments and jobs were completely unnecessary. Many people had ranks and titles that were well above their experience.

The executives and some directors appeared to be there just to stuff their pockets with a grossly mismanaged budget. The studio is no longer in business because they overspent and gave a terrible government official an opportunity to shut the studio down. Which he did with a smile.

Advice to Management

This is for the leaders of the art department since I cannot assess other departments accurately, but they should hear this anyway. You need to learn from my lead. She was amazing and fostered the healthiest and most productive art team I had the pleasure of working with. You know who she is so call her for some advice.

5. "A Company that Deserved Better"

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemingly unbeatable levels of positivity and goodwill among a large team of extremely talented people; an amazing development effort; a sense of building a hugely important and valuable intellectual property (while it lasted). Overall rating based on pros, rather than on the sudden, non-sequitur demise

Cons

Funding schemes apparently failed to materialize for the final year of development, resulting in the evaporation of the company, negating all the great work that had been done

Advice to Management

Be well and move forward.

6. "With clueless management, it's no wonder the company went out of business!"

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Unlimited free coffee / drinks.
    * Four weeks of vacation. I had so many days accrued that when I quit, I had a nice little severance package waiting.
    * Nice co-workers.

Cons

* A very top heavy organization, with too many vice presidents / directors / managers. The peter principle totally applied here.
    * Lots of "neckbeards" who knew about gaming, but not much about software or business.
    * Unrealistic business plan: put all your eggs in one basket to try and build the next WoW clone.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn basic money management and math skills. How do you waste over 50 million dollars and have nothing to show for it? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

7. "Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were amazing and talented individuals who were devoted, passionate, and loyal.

Cons

The company was forced to shut down due to a lack of funding, causing the entire 300+ person studio to close in a span of a few days, from the initial financial troubles. There was no severance package offered or any advanced notice to any of the employees.

Advice to Management

Overestimating the sales of a new IP is not the only reason the studio was forced to close and claiming so is simplifies the mistakes made that forced the closure. Blaming lack of consumer demand is an easy way out and is insulting to those affected negatively.

8. "Great While It Lasted"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at 38 Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people around developing really great things. Teams overall had great cohesion and were able to produce a great amount of work in a very short amount of time.

Cons

Teams had a really hard time working with each other, especially the platform and the game team. There did not seem to be a sense of controlled urgency from the top and the lack of focus really showed when trying to experience the game overall.

Advice to Management

Asking to be better at managing money would be a hit below the belt, but hopefully in later endeavours people will try to take more care in how the overall product is instead of trying to focus on each individual, unconnected feature.

9. "Great people, passion, and talent. Business mismanagement drove it to the ground."

Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people with common goals and shared passion. Great skill level overall and most people were very motivated to do an excellent job. Camaraderie was at a high here and the results spoke for themselves.

Cons

Management had limited game development experience and was often too lenient about missed goals. Goals also changed too frequently, causing shifting sands, uncertainty, and countering motivation.

Advice to Management

Keep people accountable and don't change goals on a whim.

10. "Best workplace and coworkers ever!"

Former Employee - Corporate Travel and Relocation Manager in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Corporate Travel and Relocation Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and excellent atmosphere. Everyone dedicated to the product and company.

Cons

The only con is that sadly, the company was not given the opportunity to show the world the amazing finished product.

11. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Writer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Writer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great co-workers, decent benefits.

Cons

No longer in business, massive moral failure at executive level.

Advice to Management

Grow some.