38 Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
38 Studios CEO Jennifer MacLean
Jennifer MacLean

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Was great till it closed down"

Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome professionals and everyone was very friendly; felt like a family with good pay and great benefits.

Cons

Closed down and was not paid for a few months but yet held under contract while the company tried to save itself; which it could not.

Advice to Management

Next time; don't take "free money" from the state; and DONT move your studio to Rhode island.

2. "Ups and Downs"

I have been working at 38 Studios full-time

Pros

Interesting experience, big project, good people

Cons

Sudden bankruptcy, lack of disclosure

Advice to Management

Pay attention to state laws when going out of business. A lot of real people got hurt by the lack of back pay, and the lack of health insurance when the company shut down without notice.

3. "Was a fun place."

Pros

Great benefits, tons of talented people. Good facilities fun game to work on. Everyone believed in the product and each other.

Cons

Ran out of money which was a bummer. Too much politics involved inside and outside of the studio. A bit of old guard vs new guard.

4. "Great, until the end"

Pros

Great people, great environment. Wish it stayed around.

Cons

Grew too fast. Mismanaged finances.

5. "Working at 38 Studios was challenging and enjoyable."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time

Pros

Everyone was committed to creating the best product possible. Curt provided great leadership to a group of over-achievers. Everyone was passionate about doing the best and leaving no option un-tried.

Cons

Investors and partners (especially Rhode Island politicians) were not prepared to weather the costs and duration of a major software development lifecycle (building a large software product lasts longer than a politician's re-election cycle).

Advice to Management

All levels of senior management made time to visit and understand challenges that we were dealing with. They recognized the challenge of such a broad project.

6. "38 Studios was a fantastic company to work for"

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people with a real sense of family instilled by Curt. If they had been able to stay financially viable, I would have stayed with the company for a very long time.

Cons

Management did not really know how to get the game out of the door and the financial officers did a terrible job of finding private funding (which is very hard to do for a start up MMO).

7. "Tragic."

Pros

Working with awesome developers, creating a beautiful and fun world. Being part of a family.

Cons

Being eviscerated by money and planning issues. Never shipping the game. Destroyed by hubris.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes.

8. "Bitter sweet"

Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing leadership at my department's lead level. The talent and skill level of the art team is certainly the most robust I have ever experienced. I have never been so inspired to come to work.

Amazing benefits. The owner of the company was the nicest guy I ever met and meant well for everyone.

Cons

The studio went far too long without an engineering team and suffered from over staffing other departments. Some departments and jobs were completely unnecessary. Many people had ranks and titles that were well above their experience.

The executives and some directors appeared to be there just to stuff their pockets with a grossly mismanaged budget. The studio is no longer in business because they overspent and gave a terrible government official an opportunity to shut the studio down. Which he did with a smile.

Advice to Management

This is for the leaders of the art department since I cannot assess other departments accurately, but they should hear this anyway. You need to learn from my lead. She was amazing and fostered the healthiest and most productive art team I had the pleasure of working with. You know who she is so call her for some advice.

9. "Was one of the best places to work in the game industry"

Pros

Talented and ego-free developers with a passion for what we all were creating. Curt Schilling's natural ability to instill and stoke that passion was an awesome thing to witness. Best group of people in the game industry to work with, and they had actual social skills.

Cons

Some teams didn't coordinate well and full-on game production took too long to really get rolling. Cash flow mismanagement combined with a RI state Governor whose mission seemed to be to sink the company for political gain, led to the company's demise. Yet, most of us would do it all again.

10. "A Company that Deserved Better"

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemingly unbeatable levels of positivity and goodwill among a large team of extremely talented people; an amazing development effort; a sense of building a hugely important and valuable intellectual property (while it lasted). Overall rating based on pros, rather than on the sudden, non-sequitur demise

Cons

Funding schemes apparently failed to materialize for the final year of development, resulting in the evaporation of the company, negating all the great work that had been done

Advice to Management

Be well and move forward.