3M Reviews | Glassdoor

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 27 reviews)

• sometimes decision making process is too long (in 39 reviews)

1. "Contract"

Former Employee - Buyer in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M (More than a year)

Pros

coworkers are nice, friendly and helpful.

Cons

No benefits, alienate contract workers, forget to pass on critical announcements to contract workers, contract workers are excluded from many departmental activities. Do not make contract workers feel welcome or a valuable addition to the department.

Advice to Management

Stop undervaluing your contract workers. These employees are doing the same job as the 3M'ers at a lower salary and no benefits. Your decision not to renew contracts is causing you to lose talented employees. 3M needs to show loyality to their country and not eliminate American jobs by outsourcing them to Costa Rico. Shame on you! 3M also needs to stop overworking their employees and recognize when they have unreasonable expectations, workloads are not attainable and recognizing when more employees are necessary. Stop waisting money with the contract worker revolving door. Your practices are putting a strain on 3M'ers to continually train new employees over and over again and keep them from completing their jobs.

2. "Clearly not concerned with the well being of their employees"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Golden, CO

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I worked there the pay and benefits were great.

Cons

Everything else. I worked at a smaller company making a name for itself that was then purchased by 3M. They paid well and encouraged us to grow the business and show us how everything worked and what we did, then, after about one year they abruptly laid off everyone from the small company and brought in their own people (I assume they were cheaper to employ). A fairly sociopathic tactic.

Advice to Management

Roll-ups are the business plans of companies past their prime. If you fire everyone who makes your company great to make way for cheap labor... You get what you pay for and have to rely on tactics like roll-ups.

"An inward-looking, backstabbing culture"

Current Employee - Corporate Middle Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Middle Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, nice work environment, work that is challenging and rewarding

Cons

Management that rules from and by fear - you have the feeling that at any moment they could turn against you, or that you could be replaced, or worse, that you are the reason everything your manager does is going wrong. I've been lucky to have a good manager, but he is by far the exception here. The collateral damage done to wonderful colleagues of mine is horrific, to be honest. I would never advise anyone to come here.

Advice to Management

Take ownership, realized your employees are your biggest asset, and change the culture from one of constant turmoil and undermining to one of "we're all in this together." You would be surprised how much employees want to do their very best for you, but it's impossible as long as management believes the worst and acts that way,

"Secrecy Inefficiency and chaos"

Former Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M (More than a year)

Pros

Large company, some opportunities, met great people

Cons

Highly unstable, relies on contractors but treats them in near sub human fashion, secrecy and information compartmentalization taken to an extreme where bad agents were abusing the system and not working. Chaos, disorganzation and astonishing waste of resources. No viable way to alert anyone about what was going on in Austin

Advice to Management

Create a mechanism where employees can alert you to wrong doings, safely. Stop some of the more greatly abused practices. Encourage more openess and actual work being done.

"Manager of Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Infrastructure including hiking trails, gyms etc

Cons

Poor ethnical values
    Poor management
    Inefficient management
    Political
    Everything else

Advice to Management

Easily some of the most unethical practices resides in this company. Managers are all just that...no leadership.

"Research & Development Technician"

Former Employee - Research and Development Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Research and Development Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work for until management cuts "structural overhead" to satisfy Wall Street.
    Great salary and benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Structural overhead is not managers like they release to the press but workers who are close to retirement or who's job can be replaced by a cheaper contract worker. No long term goals outside of growing the business at 10% a year. Everything is a short term goal to appease Wall Street. If sales are down slightly compared to "growth targets" projects are cut and people are laid off even if the project has excellent long term growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Look longer term than the next quarter. Hire contract workers who know what there doing instead of keeping them in limbo for years. Look longer term than the next quarter.

"Treat contracts like garbage."

Current Contractor - Laboratory Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Contractor - Laboratory Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

3M looks good on a resume.

Cons

Pay on low end for degree.
    Pay not commemorative with experience.
    No chance of being hired on as a full time employee.
    No benefits or vacation.

Advice to Management

Hire some of your contracts on. These jobs are full time and go on for years. Some contracts have been here 10 years. I know everything about the products I am working on and can freely give that knowledge to any other company I choose to.

"Possibly the worst"

Former Employee - Plant Engineering Technician in Brownwood, TX
    Former Employee - Plant Engineering Technician in Brownwood, TX

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very mature firm and plenty of excellent engineers in St. Paul.

Cons

Worst employeed abuse, top to bottom, I've seen in 30 years.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen so won't bother.

"Why do you even care"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elyria, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elyria, OH

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Don't work for such a crocked company

Cons

Have been with company for over 20 years then decide to close. No warning nothing no reason for the closure just someone's cost saving project. So sad how you displace so many honest working people. Not to mention management lied for over a year telling employees that we were the number 2 plant and always doing great

Advice to Management

How do you people sleep at night? So so sad nothing but a bunch of liars

"Contractors are treated as second class citizens"

Former Contractor - Marketing in Maplewood, MN
    Former Contractor - Marketing in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an iconic MN company
    A major MN employer
    **Despite popular belief, 3M was NOT recently named the best place to work. Instead, it was named "most desirable place to work" by a bunch of high school students -- and the reason for this is still beyond me. 3M must have a very good PR team that put lots of $$ towards getting these results. This company is NOT sexier than Google or Apple or even Target.**

Cons

Don't expect to be treated as an equal if you're working here as a contractor. Don't expect to have an email address, laptop or any basic office supplies during your first week. You'll have to wear a yellow badge of shame that doesn't even get you access to the convenience store to buy a pack of gum. Don't expect to be invited to meetings, included on email distribution lists or given any "real work" whatsoever. Expect to be an order taker or a PowerPoint monkey. Expect to be fully disposable and interchangeable. The interns are treated with much more respect and are given higher quality assignments than the contractors. Yes, you read that right: at 3M, there's a level below intern and it is reserved for contract employees. Oh and there's also a 12-month rule for contractors that nobody is going to tell you about (as a contractor, you can only work for 12 months and the you have to leave for 6 months before continuing to do contract work at 3M). Your hiring manager and staffing agency aren't going to let you know about this - despite the fact that this is a pretty critical detail that most people would like to be aware of before accepting a job. The culture at 3M is very traditional/formal/old school and there's a lot of competitiveness and secrecy within teams rather than collaboration and open communication. It's every man for himself! And prepare to be stepped on if you're a contractor.

Advice to Management

There's been a lot of positive PR recently about working at 3M. Maybe it's time to start walking the walk and actually making it a better place to work....?

Showing 92 of 1,650 reviews