3M Reviews | Glassdoor

3M Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 27 reviews)

• sometimes decision making process is too long (in 39 reviews)

"Trying"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different businesses
    Really great opportunities for people with a technical or science background

Cons

The culture is divided between old and new
    Still a long way to go for women and people of color
    Management is committed to tradition over new ideas or new people
    Insufficient benefits and maternity leave based on tenure. Flexibility and other initiatives are not broadly implemented past middle management.

Advice to Management

Survey the whole employee base and empower employees to address cultural issues.
    Benchmark with more than just other manufactures or industry peers to stay relevant.
    Invest in development for employees and implement exit interviews for all employees.

"3M was a terrific company but things are changing."

Current Employee - N/A in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - N/A in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time

Pros

Stable company because of the diversity of products and services. provide a fair set of benefits. Possibility to move horizontally.

Cons

Take forever to progress and 3M corporate does not reward enough computer science employee anymore. Few years ago 3M was much better than today with employee. 3M wants to hire talents but at a job group level that is not appropriate.

Advice to Management

3M management should be more open and should also trust the 3Mers. Last but not least, it could be nice to stop thinking business as usual and bring back innovation to all 3M organizations.

3. "warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Operator in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Operator in Irvine, CA

I worked at 3M full-time

Pros

benefits,401k,chance to advance,vacation,good work hours.

Cons

brown nosing,back stabbing,nosy people,work varies,no team work.

"3M Management"

Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Field Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, great perks...

Cons

You are expendable. Regardless who you are, how long you've efficiently served in your role. As soon as short term financial gain shows itself - your division will be segmented, and your position is GONE. Period - but it's only business, nothing personal.

Advice to Management

Keep a detailed journal on your financial achievements, ALWAYS do things according to a short term financial plan. Long term thought is not a part of the culture, and won't make a bit of difference when short term gain shows itself...

"Big Mistake for me"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome products
    Intelligent people
    Good discount
    EAP program for employees which helped "Me" deal with the hostile environment

Cons

Company does not accept new blood.
    Very hard to make friends.
    Employees think it is a WONDERFUL company, they have only been there so they don't know any different.
    It took me over 50 internal job applications to finally transfer out of one dept to go to another.
    No help from Human Resources, they support management not employees.

Advice to Management

I worked extremely hard for your company for 4 years and received NO recognition for the hours I spent on a huge project. I did not feel at all welcome to join this company, new people are not respected in any way. So sorry I wasted 4 years of my life that I won't get back because of hearing how "Great" 3M was to work for.

6. "3M Production Work - Hutchinson"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Hutchinson, MN
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Hutchinson, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good cafeteria - catered food for south plant, grill/salad bar for north plant

Cons

Very poor work/life balance. You are expected to work when they want you to. Work scheduling can change depending on "business needs!" Expect anything from rotating shift work days-afternoons-nights, to alternating 12's going from days to nights twice per week. They claim to be "health oriented" but fail when it comes to understanding health consequences of alternating days/nights and lots of overtime.

Mandatory overtime often means long stretches of work without a day off, but this depends on the area and time of year.

Do not be expect to be recognized for achievements. The smallest policy violations can lead to poor reviews which inhibit your ability to advance and there is no appeals process that represents the employee. If you disagree with management decisions, an HR rep is assigned to represent you in the process and you are not allowed to attend the appeals decision meetings to speak for yourself. Input from supervisors and managers take precedence over that of employees. The investigation process is extremely biased toward management and does not function objectively.

College tuition reimbursement DOES NOT APPLY to production workers.

Advice to Management

Stop using the excuse "the rules come from corporate headquarters." 3M sites have rules and regulations specific for the culture, location, and function of the facility. Using this excuse underlies the lack of negotiation and people skills this site is well-known for with employees both current and former.

There are some supervisors who help employees and admit when "their hands are tied" by upper management.

7. "Boys club company"

Former Employee - Perfect Product Operator in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Perfect Product Operator in Brookings, SD

Pros

Co workers and the benifits

Cons

Management railroads people who speak their mind. Lean out the people who do not physically produce a product. Get back to your core values by delighting the customer. Dermweld coming soon, no more tapes and dressings?

Advice to Management

Your a factory worker...just like us.

"supervision and favoritism"

Current Employee - Production Operator in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Medina, OH

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent company to work for. great pay and benefits

Cons

if you say no to anything asked of you, be prepared to be blacklisted. to much overtime and not enough people

Advice to Management

BETTER COMMUNICATION AND INTERACTION!!! get out of the meetings and your office and see and talk to your employees

"Upper management poorest I've ever seen. Most knew nothing of the product . Company moved this division from MN to TX."

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Shift Lead in Angleton, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Shift Lead in Angleton, TX

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New company to the area, excited about working there, Ended up being the worst work experience of my life. Benefits were good , excellent medical insurance.

Cons

Job wasn't bad, management had no experience with product. Most were transfers from other 3M facilities. Lack professionalism rampant through out organization.

Advice to Management

HR practices were the worse I've ever experienced. Personal vendettas and agendas were very slanted. Employee turnover rate very high for a reason.

10. "Not what I was promised."

Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the employees and the flexibility of my hours. They allowed me to work my own hours, as long as I put in the 40 I was required to.

Cons

Didn't compensate me enough. Was not truthful in my employment. I was promised a raise, and after 8 months of asking and hearing excuses, they offered to renew my contract at the same amount. So I left.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in the offering stage of the hire. I was promised more than I was given.

Showing 146 of 1,650 reviews