451 Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
AJ Gerritson & Nicholas Lowe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Cliquey - I could tell you the names of the three other people on my team, but no one else" (in 4 reviews)

• "As a social media intern I didn’t learn anything about social media, the interns agreed the work was lame busy work that dragged" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Small yet BIG"

I have been working at 451 Agency full-time

Pros

Small agency feel with big potential. You feel like you're making a difference. Senior management and partners are great.

Cons

Pay is competitive yet on the lower end.

2. "Tough environment but good for experience"

I worked at 451 Agency full-time

Pros

-Good experience for entry-level employees as there's a wide variety of clients and tasks across teams
    -Occasional interesting/cool clients
    -Generally nice people at the lower levels
    -Agency experience is likely to help you get another job in the future so if you're young, it might be worth putting in the time
    -This place has potential but it needs to come from the top

Cons

-They work you to the bone and constantly tell you you need to be on top of your email at all hours and should expect to work crazy hours if you want to get promoted
    -Upper management ranges from people who don't care about employees at all to people who are downright mean to lower level employees
    -Mid level managers are really young, likely because they're cheaper. They aren't trained properly and are expected to be perfect
    -In the eyes of managers, the client is always right even at the expense of the employee
    -There's an underlying feeling of stress throughout the agency
    -Lots of turnover which makes it hard to get in a good flow and it lowers morale when respected employees leave

Advice to Management

-Staff teams appropriately, compensate fairly and focus on employee satisfaction
    -Realize that stressed out employees do not perform well and will end up resentful of company and management
    -Stop trying so hard to be 'fun' and focus on improving morale and stress levels

3. "Wouldn't recommend"

I worked at 451 Agency full-time

Pros

-Young and friendly teams
    -Opportunities to learn
    -Ability to gain experience working with well-known brands in a variety of industries

Cons

-Toxic environment where you can expect daily drama and a lot of office politics.
    -Teams are significantly understaffed, working 12-hour days and weekends. When new clients sign-on the promise of new hires rarely materializes.
    -Communication is a continuous issue. Senior leaders are poorly trained and potential HR risks, yet are rewarded with promotions and shout outs during agency-wide meetings.
    -Pay is far from competitive and a bonus isn’t guaranteed.
    -Work-life balance is unattainable and boundaries barely exist. Managers contact staff at all hours, even if employees are home with the flu or traveling in another country.
    -People openly complain about how stressed and burnt out they are, but talking to your manager usually does more harm than good, so it’s not even worth speaking up. So much for that open door policy!

Advice to Management

-Stop blaming everyone and everything else for your unhappy employees. Low morale doesn’t improve by simply "waiting it out" or when "negative employees" leave. It improves when you face the facts and fix the problems that are starting from the top and trickling down.
    -Train your senior leaders and pay attention to the way they’re treating your employees...people leave managers, not companies.
    -Pay employees what they deserve and invest in tenured talent.
    -If a team can barely handle their current workload, either give them the staff they need or just stop pitching new clients. What good is another account if your team is so burnt out they can't produce quality work, putting ALL of your accounts in jeopardy?

Jun 20, 2018 – HR Manager

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from all our past and present employees so that we can identify areas that need improvement and... More

4. "Positive place to work but lacking in some communication basics."

Former Employee - Art Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Supportive management, work/life balance, opportunities for women, flexibility.

Cons

A few too many junior-level resources, and lack of diversity of experience

Advice to Management

Communication is great but can always be better

"Average"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at 451 Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Cool clients
    -Work-life balance
    -Agency closes early before long weekends/holidays

Cons

-Cliquey - I could tell you the names of the three other people on my team, but no one else. No one makes an effort to communicate with anyone outside of their team. People are also pretty catty here - I felt like I was in middle school and not in a professional setting. I can only speak to my team since I did not interact with other teams - my friend works on the creative team now and loves her team, so I can't speak to the agency as a whole.

-My team did average work - I was never motivated to do great work and had no one to look up to professionally.

-Lack of management - no real leaders on the team, did not feel comfortable going to my manager, who was the EVP - pretty large gap between an AE and EVP... I'm pretty independent, but need an environment where I'm constantly learning.

Advice to Management

Collaborate more among teams other than your own. Invest in your junior employee's growth, otherwise they will leave and find somewhere where they have support and opportunity.

6. "Consumer PR Intern"

Pros

Great team, good projects, learned a lot

Cons

no compensation for the interns

Dec 8, 2016 – HR Generalist

We are happy that you had a great intern experience and that you were able to gain valuable knowledge during your time here. We have received similar suggestions from other past interns regarding... More

7. "Great Culture, Opportunities to Learn"

I have been working at 451 Agency full-time

Pros

Great culture, opportunities to learn, partners really care about your career growth

Cons

Somewhat tough to meet people on other teams.

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for being part of the 451 Intern program. The success of our interns is really important to us.

"Opportunities to work, but clique-y environment"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at 451 Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people were nice, I learned about media lists and press releases. It wasn't all a waste, but I definitely felt like I was just there to make the company look better for having interns.

Cons

As an intern, I was hoping to be sitting in on meetings/conference calls and take notes. I didn't sit in on one client meeting. Every morning I did the work no one else wanted to do, sometimes I ran errands to CVS and once, someone actually referred to me as, "the intern". I'm not saying I'm above doing any of this since I was the least experienced but there really needed to be more give and take. Very clique-y overall.

Advice to Management

If you want interns to do the work nobody else wants to do, you need to pay them. Or give them valuable experience they could take with them and use as a talking point in an interview or gain necessary skills.

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

We appreciate your feedback on our intern program. We are continuously trying to mold the program to make is better for all interns so we take comments and suggests to heart. We are pleased that you... More

"PR hospitality internship"

Pros

nice team to work with

Cons

All internships are unpaid and interns are recycled

Advice to Management

give more work to interns

Aug 31, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for participating in our Intern program! Our Intern program is ever evolving so that we can make it better so we appreciate your feedback.

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at 451 Agency full-time

Pros

-Great coworkers who are always willing to help each other out and have fun together -- I've made lots of close friends through work. Everyone really knows the meaning of 'work hard, play hard'.
    -Good client list -- Some clients are more exciting than some but management usually doesn't put up with a lot of BS from clients if they can help it.
    -Lots of room for growth -- People who work hard get promoted quicker than I've seen at other agencies. Lots of people have been here a long time.
    -Good opportunities -- Managers usually seem to be open to letting us try new things or do things outside our job description if we show the interest. I don't usually hear 'no'.
    -Open doors -- Most managers are really approachable and don't sit in offices with their doors closed. Partners are nice and outgoing and talk to everyone when they're around..
    -Growing company -- In the short time I've been here all teams have grown a lot and we've gotten some bigger and better clients.
    -Snacks!!! -- A small perk but snacks have gotten way better over the last year.

Cons

-If you're looking for an easy job, this probably isn't it. It's lots of hard work but I've learned more than any other role I've been in. I think the work load is similar to other agencies. Work/life balance has improved a lot since 2015 employee survey.
    -Salaries are a bit lower than other agencies it seems.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and helping everyone find a good work life balance, letting us know you value us.