50 Below Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
50 Below CEO, President, Director Roy W. Oliver
Roy W. Oliver
1 Rating

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Quality Control in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Control in Duluth, MN

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since ARI took over ownership of 50 Below, the corporate side of things has improved exponentially. I started working for 50 Below shortly before they were bought out, and the only thing I liked was my work and my co-workers. Since ARI has taken over, we have received steady paychecks, direct deposit (which was a huge leap forward from paper checks!), and now a 401k plan. The work ethic that the employees developed during the days of 50 Below has carried through, and they encourage cross-training in different departments and helping out other departments when they're in need. It feels great to have gained skills in other areas of the company that I can add to my resume, and to be encouraged to do so. The culture shock took some getting used to, but has been well worth the transition. ARI has worked hard to move us forward and to keep us happy.

Cons

We seem to have kept our old health and dental plans, which are higher cost with mediocre coverage, and they seem to have dropped our vision insurance completely so there is nothing to cover glasses or contacts.

Advice to Management

It would be great to have better health and dental coverage and some option for vision material insurance. Other than that, keep up the great work!

2. "Awesome people, poor management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

I worked at 50 Below full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great group of hardworking employees. the company has been bought out since I worked there and is probably much better off now.

Cons

terrible top-down strategy and execution.

Advice to Management

less sales, more retention and growth... you are selling websites; not taking over the world. there is such a thing as maximum penetration

3. "Fast-paced environment with great people to work with"

Current Employee - Website Development in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Website Development in Duluth, MN

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Industries we service are fun and exciting, the people we work around are a joy being around, and all of the problems of the past have been taken care of. We have stability now :) We are also a lot larger as we have locations across the US and Internationally.

Cons

Having been through all of the negativity and still being approached about it. It's quite the damper, since things are not the same now.

5. "Poor accounting by previous owners"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Duluth, MN

I worked at 50 Below full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job
    Benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Great co-workers
    Good location

Cons

Old technology
    Management in the past was sketchy
    Owners were corrupt
    Did not get paid on time
    Checks bounced

Advice to Management

Pay employees on time.

6. "Great place to work with great people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing! Easy to get along with and extremely talented people. The location is great too! Downtown Duluth with quick access to the lake walk and a lot of my favorite restaurants. Since the buyout by ARI the company is quickly moving forward and is benefiting from the solid stability of ARI Network Services leadership and direction. I'm really enjoying building great products to support our customers several interesting and fun industries such as power sports and marine.

Cons

Due to the buyout there are some wrinkles but both 50 Below and ARI are working to iron out those wrinkles as fast as possible and have made great advances in the last couple of months. These are all short term issues so really not a con at all but it's all I could think of.

7. "50 Below, an ARI Company - Love this place!!!!"

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With the new ownership from ARI the transition was scary at first but has turned out to be one of the best expierences i have had with any company I have ever worked for. Looking forward to all of the enhancements that ARI will bring to the table. No more "wishing" things will change.

Cons

We are still in the same old building but that will change in the coming months.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Like living in a cage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

I worked at 50 Below full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was interesting learning about how to set up websites. It truly would have been a great job for me, had 50 Below worked with me through things they saw as issues.

Cons

Lack of employer commitment to employment stability. Lack of communication to solve potential problems (Even though the ones they described upon termination were not entirely factual.). Bureaucrats from Milwaukee that go in over their head before they understand an entire situation.

Advice to Management

Don't have someone relocate and not provide them with a stable job. Now I had to find a subleaser for my room and move again because you had no

9. "Vastly improved company: perspective from a long-time veteran"

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Duluth, MN

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With the acquisition of 50 Below by ARI, 50 Below has become a much more stable place to work. It is once again a vital, dynamic company with great prospects for the future. Management is much more responsive, and people are held accountable for what they do.

Cons

Considering where the company has been, the downsides are minimal and transitory. Facilities could use some improvements, which is something that will soon be resolved.

Advice to Management

Keep up the improved communications, continue to reward and recognize employees for excellent work.

10. "Weathering the storm was worth it."

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Account Executive in Duluth, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Account Executive in Duluth, MN

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The starting salary is good for the area. The people I work with are a great group that care about their jobs and the customers we work with. Despite the setbacks over the last few years because of mis-management by prior owners, our customer service still remained top notch. That says a lot about the dedication and heart of the employees here who continued to work hard and remained loyal throughout that time. Since taking over the company, ARI has continued to impress and support both our employees and our customers alike. Our company has a bright future.

Cons

Most of the things I would consider cons are being improved upon.

11. "Great place to start a career and things are looking up!"

I have been working at 50 Below full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-New corporate management.
    -New products that are being pushed forward faster.
    -Great stability with a great outlook to the future.
    -The people working here really care about their customers.....awesome work enviroment.
    -Substantial growth which leave plenty of room for career advancement.

Cons

-The weather in Duluth is sometimes a pain.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The future looks great!