50onRed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Stephen Gill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great learning opportunity"

Pros

You are surrounded by some of the best engineers in Philadelphia, with a great culture of teamwork and mentorship; what more could a new grad want?

Cons

The other comments have mentioned what not to like about 50, so I shall skip that.

2. "Facade"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at 50onRed (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch twice a week

Cons

No communication what so ever in terms of expectations. No training. Leadership does not lead. Went to work every day not knowing if it would be the last day I would work there.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on trying to make the office a 'cool' place to be. Focus on employee retention. Employees don't stay at a job because it has a ping-pong table and a beer fridge. Those aren't perks.

"Unstable with high turnover"

I worked at 50onRed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people who are very bright and balance working hard with having fun very well. 25 PTO days and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Company does not carry a noble purpose. Internet advertising practices can be described as shady and only have the goal of earning revenue. Industry is on the way down. Leadership has poor communication and are very unpredictable...they will say everything is fine and have a layoff the next day.

Advice to Management

Company needs to mature. Stop trying to buy employee happiness through perks and company parties and start communicating better and create a more mature business atmosphere. If company is struggling, do not spend on frivolous items/events.

4. "Hip startup environment obscures opaque company direction and questionable business practices"

I worked at 50onRed full-time

Pros

Nice office with Silicon-Valley-emulating perks. Exposure to relatively scalable system design. Engineers are quite competent by Philadelphia tech standards. (There are 50onRed alums at Google, Amazon, and Facebook.)

Cons

50onRed hides behind an array of independent looking facades in an attempt to dodge the (bad) publicity their business model generates. That model is built on completely unsustainable practices that some in the industry are willing to call fraudulent.
    The owners are very aloof and communication is all but nonexistent.
    The small 401k match doesn't vest for four years. Some might call the work environment "fratty", rather than "hip".

Advice to Management

When employees have concerns about the ethics of a new feature, please don't immediately defend advertising as a straw man.
    Steve,
    Please practice looking at your employees when addressing them.

5. "Constantly Growing"

I worked at 50onRed full-time

Pros

50onRed has some of the best employee perks you'll find. Some of my favorites:
    -25 days of PTO & 12 company paid holidays
    -Quarterly hackathons
    -Catered lunches
    -Flexible schedule
    -Quarterly outings
    -Fully stocked kitchen
    -Gym membership reimbursement
    -Employer paid healthcare

While the perks are nice, they're far from the biggest benefit of working at 50onRed. They have some of the most passionate and hardworking individuals you'll find. Everyone is personable and are genuinely kind hearted folks (for the most part). It's always nice getting to work with people that don't suck.

Cons

High turnover. For a lot of staff, this is their first job out of college so it makes sense that people would look for other opportunities after getting some experience. The company has recognized this and has taken steps to retain employees such as increased benefits and raffling gift cards to employees who forward recruiter emails.

401K match requires 5 years of employment before vesting.

Advice to Management

I saw many changes while employed at 50onRed. I can honestly say that the company has recognized many of the issues felt by employees and has dedicated a great deal of effort to address them at the source. Continue to listen to your employees and make sure that you have clear but focused direction.

"Great Work Environment With Endless Talent"

I have been working at 50onRed full-time

Pros

50onRed is a great company with great core values that are implemented daily. The managers and supervisors are always available to meet and discuss any concerns or feedback that you may have. There is great potential and room for growth within the company and you know you are valued when you first walk in the door. The office is filled with incredible talent in each department and it is a great way to expand your knowledge of the business. If you're looking to begin a CAREER and not just have a job, then 50onRed is the right place for you.

Cons

Sometimes the office has too much fun!

Advice to Management

none.

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at 50onRed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive, attentive upper management. 25 days of PTO. Fully stocked kitchen. Flexible hours and ability to work remotely on occasion. Generous holiday time off. EXTREMELY talented engineering group. Everyone treats each other with respect - people with big egos don't last long. Interesting technical problems to solve, and you're always given the opportunity to solve them with the latest technologies (if necessary). Awesome quarterly parties. Excellent compensation.

Cons

The 401K plan matching vests over the course of 4 years - not the worst I've seen, but not the best.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Thanks for continuing to innovate and care about your employees.

8. "More than just a pretty office"

Pros

Where to begin...the culture- the culture and the people are what makes 50onRed truly unique. We live by our core values, our values shape the company. These core values include: GSD (get stuff done), be innovative, be curious, be passionate, be supportive and be agile. We are encouraged to think outside the box, figure out better solutions and then implement them. The office is beautiful and the perks (like the coffee bar and free lunches) are great.... The health benefits are phenomenal... the PTO is amazing... the salary and bonus structure are top of the line...but above all, 50 is a place where you are surrounded by brilliant and extremely talented individuals. I am so fortunate that I get to learn something new everyday. There is no "red tape" and the work you do directly impacts the company. The engineering and brains behind our products are super impressive and always getting better. 50 is just a great place to walk into and go to work everyday....and whats even better is leaving for the day knowing that you contributed directly to the company and to the people.

Cons

Hmm....really don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

I love how our voice matters no matter what position in the company you are in- keep that going and keep the lines of communication open like it has been...and thank you for making work a place that I enjoy going everyday.

"Doing it eh..."

I worked at 50onRed full-time

Pros

The people are dope.
    Cool opportunity to hone in on skills.
    Super talented teams with lots of potential.

Cons

Not everyone is on the same page as a whole and it's like watching a movie in rewind on VHS with bad tracking.

Advice to Management

Keep it real, yo -- I know, it's hard.
    Ask what your people want. They're the ones that move the company forward.
    Restructure compensation for revenue-generating roles.
    Get rid of that black wall -- it sucks.

Nobody is going to fix your problems unless you're being real with yourselves. Write down 5 things you like about your company's strategy and 5 things you dislike about it. Are you willing to work on the 5 things you dislike and make them better? What about strengthening the 5 things you like about it? Can you make those better and what actions will you take in doing so?

50onRed Response

Jan 27, 2016 – Culture & Development Team

Thank you for the feedback. We have implemented an anonymous suggestion box where employees can safely share their concerns or recommendations with our management team. We're already seeing a lot of... More

"Great People; Volatile Company"

Pros

Really cool people and office space

Cons

Volatile industry with a lot of ups and downs

50onRed Response

Jan 28, 2016 – Culture & Development Team

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the culture and people of 50onRed. When it comes to the advertising technology industry, 50onRed works hard to stay ahead of the curve and thrive... More