Updated May 21, 2023
Filter by Topic
Found 2,259 of over 3K reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
Got a burning question about 51Talk? Just ask!
On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with 51Talk employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "I was able to go through free training sessions online and increase my pay as a result." (in 125 reviews)
- "flexible time (never in a million years have i been any happier that i am able to work from hoe and avoid dreaded traffic)" (in 106 reviews)
- "flexible time and work from home." (in 103 reviews)
- "flexible schedule ( I was able to manage my love of traveling though I had this job)" (in 81 reviews)
- "people here are awesome nd their awesomeness are infectious." (in 41 reviews)
- "Low salary and they deducted it when you are absent" (in 208 reviews)
- "very low pay for teachers (only Mandarin Speakers have a higher salary I guess & other Higher positions)" (in 84 reviews)
- "Management is poor" (in 80 reviews)
- "Also, the technical support team for Skype and Penalty Fees doesn't answer the teachers emails nor messages." (in 67 reviews)
- "One more is there is no benefits like sss pagibig tax I have to file it myself which is a bit hassle" (in 50 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of 51Talk and is not affected by filters.
- Race / Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation
- Parent or Family Caregiver
- Veteran Status
- Current Employee★★★★★
good jobOct 6, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
you will get the hours you need and the staff is very friendly
sometimes it gets really busy so make sure to get a good nights rest actually i’m just trying to read the other reviews i don’t onow
- Former Employee★★★★★
no more hoursMar 26, 2023 - TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
It used to be a great way to work but no more
Hours were cut without warning
- Former Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★
Low SalaryNov 17, 2022 - Online English Teacher in China, MIRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good at first but unfortunately it's not recommended to work with.
Low salary, high salary deductions, no incentives and bonuses, downgrading of teachersContinue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★
Don't do itDec 16, 2022 - Teacher in New York, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Very low pay for teachers
Bad Administration will give teachers a headache and heartacheContinue reading
- Current Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★
great before new China regsAug 7, 2022 - Online ESL TeacherRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Love working here. Bookings were good, and pay was always reliable. Curriculum was easy to follow, and kids were fun.
New China regulations totally tanked bookings
- Current Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★
China has changed the regulationsAug 22, 2022 - Online ESL Teacher in New York, NYRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
51Talk was a great place to work.
New rulings from china changed the landscape. Students cancel at the last minute or are absent. All bonuses were taken away, Customer Service was reduced, and the teacher's need was hindered. Thought it was a cost-effective move. Maybe 51Talk had a further insight as to the new rulings.Continue reading
- Former Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
Not goodAug 15, 2022 - Online English Teacher in China, MERecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
It can help you boost your confidence in talking others
The salaries paid small, high penaltiesContinue reading
- Current Employee, less than 1 year★★★★★
online teachingApr 17, 2022 - Online Teacher in China, MERecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
the student are great and easy to handle.
the penalties are atomically deducted.Continue reading
- Current Employee★★★★★
tefl 51talk reviewMar 27, 2022 - TEFL Teacher in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Flexible schedule, nice team to work with
They do not schedule for you, can be very hard for consistency
- Current Employee★★★★★
Good Place To Start Your Teaching CareerMar 10, 2022 - English Teacher in Texas City, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
1. Choose your own hours. 2. Good Pay 3. Regular students after a few months.
No promotion of an increase in pay.
51Talk Reviews FAQs
51Talk has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 2,635 reviews left anonymously by employees. 41% of employees would recommend working at 51Talk to a friend and 34% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
41% of 51Talk employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated 51Talk 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.9 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.
According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at 51Talk to be coworkers, career development, work life balance and the cons to be culture, benefits, management.