5280 Magazine Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
  1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

Great company, helpful staff, lots of office perks

Cons

Hard to work there full-time because of lack of openings

5280 Magazine2019-09-05
  2. "Visionary company doing great journalism"

Former Intern - Editorial Intern

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

* If you want research experience, you'll get it here. Not a day goes by where you aren't fact-checking, tracking down data, and seeking out experts. You'll learn how to find stories and package accurate information. * Lots of opportunities to write. Topics include food, travel, outdoors, music, literature, health, housing, economics, social issues, new businesses, etc. The editors take your pitches seriously and... are often willing to help you workshop them. * Great company culture. Editors are friendly. Lots of laughter and collaboration. The publisher is frequently walking around the office and gives his own presentation to the interns. * 5280 has earned lots of awards lately and is one of the best in the city magazine business. Great name to have on your resume.

Cons

* Low pay. It's tough to afford rent in Denver with a 28-hours-per-week minimum-wage salary. Most interns have to live with friends or relatives. * A decent amount of overtime work. If you want to get all your fact-checking duties finished and still have time to write your own stories, you'll often have to interview/transcribe/report off the clock. * Interns often feel siloed and don't always get much time with... mentors. They end up feeling burnt out by the end of the internship.

Advice to Management

Boost your intern pay — even a little bit — and show how much you value them. Their work is critical to the success of the magazine.

5280 Magazine2019-05-06
  3. "Great resume builder - not so great management"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern

I worked at 5280 Magazine for less than a year

Pros

This is the best city magazine in the entire Rocky Mountain/Western region. It was a huge resume builder and I learned a lot about social media/event marketing.

Cons

The management is a mess. They are extremely rude, unprofessional, and very demanding/ungrateful. I don't think I heard a "Thank you" once. It made me want to quit many times, but I stuck it out because I wanted to use them as a reference in the future. Also, don't expect to get a full-time job here after your internship. They very very rarely have openings.

Advice to Management

Please be nice and appreciative. Seriously. That's it.

5280 Magazine2019-04-09
  4. "Good experience, cliquey work environment"

I have been working at 5280 Magazine part-time

Pros

Great experience, highly organized, always something to do, opportunities to get published, looks incredible on a resume, productive intern roundtables

Cons

most employees aren't welcoming to interns, low salary, few opportunities for promotion or permanent hire

5280 Magazine2018-10-05
  5. "A gem in the publishing world and the best place to work in Denver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at 5280 Magazine full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is composed of a group of highly motivated, intelligent and down to earth people. There is a broad range of ages within a small Editorial staff which leads to well-rounded reporting and creative. There is a mix of talent from larger magazines, longtimers from the magazine to recent journalism and art grads. It is a Colorado-based company that has a great work-life balance. People work hard and get things... done but still get out the door by 5 or 6 every night.

Cons

Little room to grow once you've reached the top of your field.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, they are doing just fine.

5280 Magazine2018-04-12
  6. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

Opportunities to grow skillset Great feedback

Cons

Could improve communication of expectations

5280 Magazine2017-06-13
  7. "Editorial Intern"

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

Great environment and lots of opportunities for interns

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up

5280 Magazine2017-01-31
  8. "Great culture, dedicated staff, awesome publication"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

A wonderful, hard-working, dedicated staff across all sections of the publication. Editors are incredibly warm and welcoming, and are eager to mentor the interns.

Cons

The online editors are overworked, and the separate teams (business/editorial/design) don't have too much overlap in the day-to-day.

5280 Magazine2016-06-20
  9. "Great Place to Start"

I worked at 5280 Magazine

Pros

I loved the people at 5280 and the work they do is tremendous. It's a great office and a great topic with a lot of different avenues for coverage!

Cons

Not fast to promote from within - the people who are there have been there for a long time (not always a bad thing, but hard to break into)

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you've already got around you for promotion

5280 Magazine2015-10-13
  10. "Such a great company to work for!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Denver, CO

I have been working at 5280 Magazine for less than a year

Pros

The company is very laid back, they treat their employees very well! Because it is a small company there are a lot of perks. The company values are inspiring and the work atmosphere is team-oriented. Love going to work everyday!

Cons

Due to the small size of the company it is difficult to promote to a higher role.

5280 Magazine2015-02-08