5280 Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Voegele

"Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none I can think of,

Cons

I moved to Denver at my own expense. I was working there for three days. Then fired because some one with my name was arrested in state I came from six years before i moved to that state. The company that did the background check corrected it, or told me they did, with in a day but I was still out

"We Lost That Loving Feeling"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers but they don't make up for the poor upper management. A decent amount of freedom to balance your work life and personal life but not much else. Compensation is okay but they are still working at bringing back bonuses... I am looking other places after being here 3 years.

Cons

I have worked at worse places but not many. We are being told to fill out "good reviews" on Glassdoor... If that doesn't seem right to you it's because it isn't. This company will be gone in 24 months or less. They squander talent and are so tied to their process that good ideas and solutions are lost in favor of process (NOT AGILE). I've watched this company go from 'promising' to 'ugly'. The outside hires in management we have brought in have been a detriment to the organization, and our director is paying enough attention to be aware of this. The healthcare is deplorable, the methodology is painful and not really anything but waterfall with stand ups. The office is uninviting, and the technology is dated. Go look at our sites on your mobile devices... we don't develop for mobile so we are 7 years behind the curve. Too married to Microsoft products and process to survive.

Advice to Management

Please leave you office once in a while and walk the floor. To Todd and everyone back East, open your eyes and listen to all the complaints.

"I miss the commute"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time

Pros

For me the commute was about 8 minutes each way. Also, the people on my immediate team were very good to work with.

Cons

Many....outdated systems, very poor management communication, very "clique like" environment for the people that have been there for a while but my biggest complaint is with the very poor quality of management. I worked there for a number of years and during my tenure the environment never got better, only worse as Nelnet became more involved.

Advice to Management

I would have shared some advice and/or suggestions while I worked there if you had been even remotely interested.

"Nice vacation time but you'll never get to use it - deathmarches, mgmt incomptence, etc."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Decent benefits package with 22 days vacation to start. Casual dress

Cons

You'll never get to take your 22 days vacation because the incompetent management and extremely poor, seat of the pants project planning will doom you to working 60+ hour weeks and deathmarch projects. Incredibly out of date technology and non-technical management afraid of making decisions of any kind. Pay average at best with miniscule bonuses if any. A few favored technical architects with zero skills and no social skills get to set direction. Employees treated like replaceable cogs.

Only people I would recommend working there are contractors since they get paid well, don't have to be on call, and get to work on better stuff than the permenent employees.

Advice to Management

You were the problem and from what I here are still there. Move on and let someone who knows what they are doing run things.

"Unprofessional management, poor project planning, no room for growth, lots of scrambling and finger pointing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Casual work environment (jeans). Lots of hard-working, friendly staff in analyst/developer positions. Good amount of vacation time. High-level intent of company growth.

Cons

Some of the most unprofessional management I've seen in my career. Not a place for those seeking work/life balance or genuine interest in career development. Archaic, out-dated software. Continuous cycle of management over-promising in unattainable time frames. Due to poor planning, management consistently scrambles, pushes long hours, and points fingers. May be good for short term, no longer than 6 months. Noncompetitive pay.

Advice to Management

Rethink the strategy used when promising work to clients. Use stricter process with clients when they request changes after sign-off. Mid and low-level management would benefit from training on effective management styles, interpersonal skills, and should refocus on employees in a genuine manner.

"Management is unethical."

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Great place if you're a contractor or ex-Unipacer.

Cons

If you're a hardworker with ethics look elsewhere for a job.

Advice to Management

Time to admit that without Nelnet you would be out flippin burgers.

"The worst job I've had in my 20-year experience in the IT industry."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

22 days of vacation. One of the industry's best.

Cons

Zero work-life balance. Expect to work 60 hour weeks because of sales/PMO incompetence in promising impossible deadlines. They will also promise you the job as "do your 8 hours a day and go home", which is an absolute lie. People with zero understanding of development process are in charge of making key technical decisions. Most people are scared for their jobs and go with the flow from fear of retribution.

Advice to Management

Quit your day job and go flip burgers.

"Company review"

Pros

Dress code, flexible hours (for the most part), location (minimal traffic compare to downtown or the Tech Center), decent break rooms.

Cons

Leadership is a cliquish group that is clueless and thinks they are funny. Was told I could work from home when needed (even in the employment agreement) (that didn't work out). Anyone that was actually good, left. Oncall, enough said on that. Sometimes it felt like working at a frat house.

Advice to Management

Shake it up (replace a few of your "key" folks. Bring back some degree of professionalism.

"Project Manager"

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time

Pros

Ability to work from home
    Casual work environment (can wear shorts and sandals if desired)
    Giving time and money to charities encouraged
    Contractors love 5280 because workload can easily exceed 40 hours per week
    Lots of vacation days

Cons

The time commitment expectations shift the 'ability to work from home' into the 'need to work from home' category
    Easy to burnout due to the hero work culture
    Low morale among employees
    The work is non-strategic and highly operational (which is perfectly fine - depending on your personality)

Advice to Management

Create an organizational strategy for your people with the proper mix of visionaries, true managers, and highly skilled technical resources.
    Get buy-in from lower ranked employees (include them more often - a substantial divide between leadership and everyone else can be felt)
    Some of the strategic leaders also managed people. This can lead to frustration if the visionary leaders are also entrenched in people management. Identify individual strengths of leaders and cater to them so your leaders thrive.