5280 Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

5280 Solutions Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work as leadership improves"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very employee focused and offers good benefits including a great Wellness program, free Keurig coffee, great time off, and a pleasant work environment. Overall, the employees there are passionate about what they do and they were investing more in developing the leadership team when I left.

Cons

Many of the leaders are young and were promoted up from technical positions, so there is room for growth in mature decision making. Like many IT organizations, the pace is fast and can appear chaotic at times, but survey feedback is helping to improve that.

Advice to Management

Focus on developing strong leaders who truly care about their teams and the costly investment the company has made in acquiring them.

2. "A Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid Industry, a company that provides good customer service and is seeking to build upon their successes. The people who run this company understand what it's like to be in the trenches with the geeks and value their people. Work life balance is getting better. Many weeks are only 40 hours. Time off compensation is great!

Cons

Behind on technology, and are only now finally warming up to Agile methodologies. Sometimes you do have projects that take longer hours. And the major business season is from July through September, so you need to plan your summer vacations accordingly.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on a single process and using technology to make that process possible. Make newer technology for developed products a priority and look to expand into new avenues of business with the financial systems you offer.

3. "5280 Solutions is a great place to work"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A true performance based company. Great if you are a performer.
    Most managers are leaders, not managers.
    Always looking to the future and new ideas.
    Majority of employees have 5+ years.
    Fun, relaxed environment to work.

Cons

A lot of complaints about salaries being low, but offset by over 22 days off/year to start and other Pros listed.
    Medical benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Reconsider the benefits. The high deductible might keep premiums down, but some of us would consider a higher premium for a PPO like plan with no or smaller deductible. I do appreciate the quarterly challenges to earn money to help offset the deductible.

4. "Overall great environment and employees"

Former Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good corporate culture but has changed as company size has grown. OK benefits

Cons

Pay could be better. Typically slightly lower than average market.

Advice to Management

Executive management - Keep up the great job leading.

5. "Great leadership, small business culture and work-life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership with vision. Small business culture. Very conscious of work-life balance. Empowered to address issues in your own dept. or area.

Cons

Not really an IT shop, be should be.

Advice to Management

Promote to management from within technical disciplines.

6. "Great company, interesting work, good management"

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Proactive management, friendly environment, good growth ops if you are interested.

Cons

I really enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Many long term employees like 10 or 15 years here testify to the fact that management does it right.

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledge sharing and team building is encouraged. Lots of talented people. Frequent and open communication among team members and project manager.

Cons

If you are not liked, some people go out of their way to make you miserable. I was not one of them, but I saw it happen to several people who never knew why they were targets.

"We Lost That Loving Feeling"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers but they don't make up for the poor upper management. A decent amount of freedom to balance your work life and personal life but not much else. Compensation is okay but they are still working at bringing back bonuses... I am looking other places after being here 3 years.

Cons

I have worked at worse places but not many. We are being told to fill out "good reviews" on Glassdoor... If that doesn't seem right to you it's because it isn't. This company will be gone in 24 months or less. They squander talent and are so tied to their process that good ideas and solutions are lost in favor of process (NOT AGILE). I've watched this company go from 'promising' to 'ugly'. The outside hires in management we have brought in have been a detriment to the organization, and our director is paying enough attention to be aware of this. The healthcare is deplorable, the methodology is painful and not really anything but waterfall with stand ups. The office is uninviting, and the technology is dated. Go look at our sites on your mobile devices... we don't develop for mobile so we are 7 years behind the curve. Too married to Microsoft products and process to survive.

Advice to Management

Please leave you office once in a while and walk the floor. To Todd and everyone back East, open your eyes and listen to all the complaints.

"Oncall"

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, location/facilities and earned time off. Flexibility to work from home at times. Nice corporate structure and environment with perks like coffee and discounts.

Cons

A lot of on-call shifts and horrible benefits. $2400 deductible! One of the worst benefits packages I've ever seen. Since your Earned Time Off accumulates, it'll take awhile before you feel like you can take some time off.

Advice to Management

Look into establishing better benefits packages and hiring specialized individuals to handle on-call duties

"I miss the commute"

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time

Pros

For me the commute was about 8 minutes each way. Also, the people on my immediate team were very good to work with.

Cons

Many....outdated systems, very poor management communication, very "clique like" environment for the people that have been there for a while but my biggest complaint is with the very poor quality of management. I worked there for a number of years and during my tenure the environment never got better, only worse as Nelnet became more involved.

Advice to Management

I would have shared some advice and/or suggestions while I worked there if you had been even remotely interested.