5W Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Ronn D. Torossian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We also have an incredible work environment (in 12 reviews)

• 5W values and appreciates hard work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, WAY too much reporting structure (in 7 reviews)

• Constant bullying by managers with the senior staff fully aware of the situation (in 6 reviews)

1. "Expanding Role"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My role continues to grow at 5W. I came from another PR/Media agency where I was performing the same tasks year after year. When I arrived at 5W, I was given the opportunity to mold my position and continue to evolve based on my skillset and experience.

Cons

I don't have any specific negative experiences.

Advice to Management

I continue to feel valued and hope that encouragement is shared throughout the agency.

2. "Be prepared to work hard and learn a lot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since joining 5W, I've witnessed first-hand a big emphasis on internal employee development. Senior leaders have really stepped up to ensure their teams remain functional and successful and put in the time to make sure everyone has what they need or at least make their presence known for questions or guidance. The company is forward thinking and you have space to voice your ideas and have one-on-one time with your group leaders. The CEO is super involved, which is rare for a company this size, but it's a great opportunity to show what you're made of.

Cons

There will be highs and lows anywhere. They're honest about it being a fast-paced environment, but you should already know that if you've been in this industry long. If you're looking for a place to sit back and rest on your laurels or just be directed from one task to the next, this is probably not the right environment for you. Aside from that, I think there's always room for more company-wide activities, outside of specific team outings.

Advice to Management

Continue to have consistent conversations with everyone from your teams, from the ground up. There are a lot of really creative and smart people here that want to continue being empowered in their work.

3. "Young, hardworking professionals within a great culture"

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5W values and appreciates hard work. We also have an incredible work environment. There are multiple events throughout the year that incorporate the whole agency (charity events, lunches, Holiday parties, costume competitions, etc.) I appreciate the people I work with and enjoy going to work everyday!

Cons

It takes people time to get used to the fast-paced environment. Be willing to put in hard-work from day 1!

Advice to Management

More activities/events for teams to connect in and outside of the workplace.

4. "Strong Relationships"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at 5W for two years and feel very positive about my experience. I have learned so much from my managers and colleagues. My group works as a team, allowing me to learn and grow in a supportive environment.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

I am happy with 5W management. I would encourage them to continue to cultivate a positive environment for staff at all levels!

5. "Account executive consumer"

Current Employee - Account Executive Consumer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive Consumer in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional environment with kind fellow employees

Cons

Too much traffic in that block

Advice to Management

Thanks for making it a good work environment.

6. "Great Environment"

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time

Pros

It is hard to find a job that you love, and you dont dread going to every day. I find myself enjoying going to work, and I have made friends here and people I can trust and like working with. The culture is unique and hard to find especially in the corporate world. I really enjoy the support i receive from the senior staff, and the kindness and appreciation everyone gives throughout the day. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the positive culture and friendly environment

Cons

Since everyone here is so close, I definitely feel fun events happen for employees, but maybe more unique events could be put into place for us to look forward to outside of the office!

Advice to Management

More team building

7. "Toxic from the top down"

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time

Pros

Great for those who want to work for a raving lunatic and run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Cons

HR/recruitment/management/etc. boasts about its fast-paced, intense environment, but in reality 5W is just dysfunctional, dead-end place.

Advice to Management

Skip the generic responses to negative online reviews and actually take action in the office that would make 5W a positive environment. (Or just stop all together since nothing will change.)

Sep 18, 2017 – SVP, Human Resources

It's disappointing that you need to use this avenue to raise your concerns. Why not bring them to HR? My door is open if you want to drop by and discuss. We take all comments very seriously and... More

"Not great"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized. Standard way of doing things in regards to reporting coverage and reporting to clients. Company perks like manicures in summer.

Cons

Since my first month an account coordinator (or someone, but usually AC) got fired every month. It put all the other ACs on edge. I was continuously hounded for not retrieving magazines early enough. It got to the point where I felt if I wasn't at the other end of that magazine company's printer I was already too late. The AC is also in charge of finding everyone's coverage even though they aren't pitching themselves for several months (or at least I wasn't) if a senior team member reported their own coverage (usually bc the reporter would email it to them bc they are in contact) it makes the AC look like he/she is slacking. If an AC is not meeting their ridiculous standards on the timeline for promotion, expect to be fired 6 - 11 months in.
    The CEO never says hi when you walk by him. Like I know he probably doesn't remember who every single person working for his company is but you can at least say "hi".
    Also, most people tend to eat lunch at their desk on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

Everyone should be responsible for finding their own coverage every month. Why should one AC be in charge of finding 20+ news stories each week? Basically, set realistic, attainable goals for employees to reach. If you don't have the budget to keep every AC you hire after 6+ months, maybe hire less and invest more time in training the ones you do hire.

Aug 14, 2017 – SVP, Human Resources

We certainly never want to hear that our employees are not happy for any reason. I do wish that you would have raised these issue with HR so that we could have worked to find a solution. Please do... More

"Great People, Hard Workers, Poor Internal Structure"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at 5W Public Relations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of my coworkers were incredibly bright, hardworking and personable

Cons

SO much busywork in terms of weekly and monthly reporting on every. single. thing. we did.

Advice to Management

Cut back on admin work or hire someone specifically to handle

Aug 11, 2017 – SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We particularly like to hear from our employees who provide a different look into the agency.
    Please know that we take all comments very... More

10. "Great people, structured environment"

Current Employee - Public Relations Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Public Relations Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at 5W Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very structured, you know what is expected of you
    -Everyone is very down to earth and wants to see you succeed
    -A lot of room for growth and you are dealt a lot of responsibility from the get go
    - You actually get to leave on time each day

Cons

-For such a big company there isn't as much employee benefit as I would expect like free snacks or happy hour

Advice to Management

-Great job, I love coming to work and I feel very comfortable speaking with the upper management casually and professionally

Aug 11, 2017 – SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your comment. Please know that we take all comments very seriously and will consider your feedback when evaluating our employee benefits.