8020 Consulting Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2020

4.7
8020 Consulting CEO David Lewis (no image)
David Lewis
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Top-of-class leadership, professional and amazing colleagues

Sep 18, 2020 - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Almost the end of the third quarter in 2020, happy to be the first one to comment. I have been working with 8020 Consulting full-time for more than two years. Due to the pandemic, all the partners have sacrificed their benefits the most and got 20% pay cut. Pros • Above average compensation in the market and transparent bonus structure; • Work-life balance depending on the projects; • Consultants are on top of the updated guidance, for example, ASC 842, ASC 606 etc.; • Although it’s normally one consultant for the fieldwork at the client site, we can easily get help from others if encountering any difficulties since all the consultants have more than 10-20 years experiences, great teamwork; • Exposure to the different industries, expansion of the skillsets; • Overall, great leadership, great admin group and awesome professional consultants’ group.

Cons

The client might not be the exact skillset which pushes to learn, and the distance to client might be tough.

2. 5.0

The Right Stuff

Nov 3, 2019 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collegiality and top notch cohorts. The company is the hub of experts. Whether it’s getting a company ready for an IPO, clean up books, ERP conversion to Net Suite, 606 implementation, acting Controller or CFO. I can reach out and get assistance to any of our subject matter experts. It makes me do my job better when you know the talent in the company has your back.

Cons

Get togethers are downtown.

3. 5.0

Best place to work!

Jan 7, 2019 - Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Career Path: Great career path for anyone in Finance. 8020 Consulting offers a wide spectrum of interesting projects across a multitude of industries. You will never have a dull moment. Networking - 8020 provides a great networking platform with other likeminded high-caliber consultants. Everyone is great and is always willing to help. - Benefits: Great! Paid bench-time, no vesting period, good vacation, and competitive compensation & bonus structure. - Education: 8020 is a great place to learn business models, financial systems, and industries. In just 2 years, I've been on 5 different projects in different industries. I've been exposed to multiple financial systems & business models. It's been really fun, challenging, and very educational. - Management: both the CEO and middle management are fantastic. Really supportive of your goals and objectives. Communication is very good and transparent. - Company: The Company is growing very rapidly and is very healthy financially. - Summary: 8020 Consulting is the best place to work. I've moved my family to Las Vegas recently, but decided to commute and continue working at 8020 because it's hard to beat this gig!

Cons

None that I have experienced.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company

Mar 24, 2019 - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Variety on a number of different levels. I have been placed on a broad range of projects, including system implementation, restructuring, and business process transformation. The projects were for companies in a variety of industries, including consumer products, clean energy, and entertainment. I have worked alongside executive management as well as private equity and other consulting firms.

Cons

High expectation to be a self-starter and need to be able to adapt to unfamiliar situations. No guarantee on the length of engagements - some can be very short and some can be very long. (All of which are not really a negative, depending on the person).

5. 5.0

Professional and High Quality Organization

Apr 12, 2015 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team is treated very well here. Utilization is very high relative to other consulting firms which is good and a testament to the strength of the sales team. They are very good at bringing high quality clients to the firm month after month. The management team does an excellent job staying in touch with all of us via personal visits, email or frequent calls. We have quarterly gatherings, typically held at a very nice venue where we are updated on the progress of the firm's financial performance and goals. When not on a client, which is rare, we have an impressive catalogue of training programs to choose from. The compensation is at or above market when factoring in the multiple bonus opportunities and the fact that we are compensated whether we are on a client or not. I firmly believe that this benefit coupled with a great reputation is what attracts so many great people to the company.

Cons

The cons are mostly things that either come with the territory of being a consultant or are "necessary evils" in running a tight ship. When we are on a client, we may need to put in some longer hours to meet our objectives but that should not be an issue as long as you understand that coming in. This seems to be the case in general in finance and accounting. Some of us are faced with long commutes but that too is temporary and we are compensated if the commute exceeds certain distances. We have a fair amount of administrative duties to tend to but most of them are very reasonable and should be expected at a well organized company.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good company

Dec 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The CEO is smart and a great salesman. A good individual to learn from

Cons

Middle management is not the best

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Extremely gratifying and rewarding to work for 8020 Consulting.

Feb 12, 2015 - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Top leadership is very supportive, mentoring and knowledgeable. They are diligent with placing consultants with assignments that closely match their skill sets as opposed to having consultants "wing it" (a lot of other consulting firms are known to do this). This is a win-win situation for both clients and 8020 consulting. I have had quality assignments that have enabled me to add exponential value to my client and left me gratified that I am making a positive difference when I get to work! Fantastic pay package with excellent benefits that are better than some Fortune 100 companies! All in all an extremely professional environment that serves to provide value to clients while grooming and mentoring their consultants in a nurturing yet professional manner.

Cons

There are truly none that I can highlight. The consulting profession in general requires resources to be deployed to different clients in various industries and that requires one to be agile and open to adjusting to new management styles and work situations. That may not work for some people who prefer to work at the same company and perform the same tasks for an extended period.

8. 5.0

Professional Firm, Great Leadership

Oct 16, 2015 - Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a very professional consulting firm with a proven track record of success and on a trajectory of continued high growth. The management runs fast and lean with a focus on a strategic Los Angeles based customer base. The consultants are intelligent and bring a wide range of experience in finance and accounting to 8020, but manage to be fun and very generous with their time and knowledge. My projects have been at high growth tech companies with challenging but rewarding assignments. The company has a fun working culture and sponsors quarterly events for everyone to network and relax. Off hours requirements are kept to a minimum and focused training is provided when not on a project.

Cons

This is consulting so your project length is variable and your hours vary by the requirements of the project and client. Not really cons for 8020, just the nature of consulting.

9. 5.0

Nov 10, 2017 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

8020 Consulting is the only consulting firm to work for as a finance professional. The firm has a great reputation from large enterprises such as Disney to local startups. The professionals at 8020 carry vast experiences across various industries, resulting in a network of peers you can always reach out to. When I decided to become a consultant, it was a tough choice, since I was doing well with industry jobs. I wanted to take a chance and venture out into the world of consulting. Recruiter after recruiter told me that if I were to choose consulting in Los Angeles, 8020 was the only firm they would recommend. Now I have experienced the quality and high service level 8020 brings to its clients and understand why 8020 has such a good reputation. If you are considering making a change, consider 8020 Consulting.

Cons

NONE! NONE! NONE! NONE! NONE!

10. 5.0

Management Consultant

Jun 22, 2017 - Management Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with 8020 Consulting for two years and have had great work experiences. Everyone, including top management, is supportive of each other. And, although the consultants are dispersed across the LA area, the company ensures we still feel like one team through weekly meetings, quarterly updates, and volunteer events. I just had my annual review, and, unlike other companies with which I've had experience and/or heard about, there was substantive feedback. I'm looking forward to another great year!

Cons

I haven't experienced it first-hand, but some of the commutes can be long. It can also be difficult to get to know the other consultants since we are spread out; however, 8020 helps address that through the weekly meetings as well as the quarterly updates and volunteer events.

2 people found this review helpful