85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wu Cheng-Hsueh

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management do not seem to care about associates at store level (in 7 reviews)

• All of these reasons leading to High turnover (in 6 reviews)

1. "Cashier"

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time

Pros

Respectable staff and supervisors, always busy and you're never just standing around

Cons

Little to no breaks, constantly standing

2. "Whatever You Do, Don't Work At Cerritos Location"

Former Employee - Store Front Associate in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Store Front Associate in Cerritos, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow coworkers/associates make this job worth being at since you're all suffering together. I've made really good friends here! If you survive working at this particular 85, then really, you can work anywhere. I've come out of the place with more skills and independence.

Cons

Management:
        They all think they're all high and mighty. When you're on a shift, you're basically guaranteed to be alone for a while. Manager herself cares more about her sales and cleanliness of the store rather than the wellbeing of her associates- especially when it comes to customers, she'll throw them under the bus rather than defend. Even if she doesn't realize it, she belittles her associates and make them feel inferior and that they don't know how to do their job. She plays obvious favoritism, especially with who she promotes. She also gets on people's cases for the smallest thing for example one spill on the counter. But if a favorite of hers does something wrong, say call out half their shifts (yes it's true- other people on shift work 10x more as a result), it's completely fine with no warning or write up.
        Management as a whole like to use fear as a way of controlling their staff. Never words of encouragement. None of them also don't know how to apologize. If they accuse you of something, and they're wrong, they will still get mad at you, or simply just brush it off. Also, what are breaks? They always claim to forget to give breaks. So most of the time people NEVER get their last 10 minute break, especially closers. If you ask for your break, you're called needy and constantly told "I know when to send people on breaks, calm down. I know what I'm doing." But if your third hour, even later, passes they complain about why you didn't say something earlier. Not, "I'm so sorry I completely forgot", just getting lectured for it. I've had constant times where I've taken my first ten at my 3.5 hours and lunch at my fifth + no last ten. That was my typical shift. A lot of times leads got to go on their breaks before associates (claiming that they thought they went already or completely forgetting). They always find a way to avoid responsibilities or justify what their doing is right when clearly it's not.

At this particular location also, expect there to be something broken EVERY DAY.
       For months, we only had:
    - one sugar machine, supposed to have two- one for coffee side and another for tea side. Manager claimed the second one was being fixed for 6+ months. Then she finally told us she didn't want to get it fixed because $$$
    -ONE BLENDER ,supposed to have two; we make a lot of smoothies every single day. So when there's 10 different smoothies with only one blender, I bet you can imagine how long it takes. This always leads to customers complaining about their long drink wait. Manager also likes to triple and even quadruple recipes in the one blender... this leads to our one working blender to break because it's being over worked, but she rather have the sales and drinks get out faster over logic. We're only supposed to make one (two if it gets very busy) drink(s) in a single blender. She claimed our other blender is in San Diego, but I worked 6+ months with just one. She's made no effort to get another one.
    -half the coffee machines work. We have 4 slots to make coffee, but most of the time, half of them are broken or not making good coffee (it usually comes out very bitter). If it breaks at the beginning of the month, they won't fix it until next month because "it'll go over our monthly budget". At some point, had to go a few weeks with only two of four working machines.
    -Little stuff that can be easily replaced, aren't. For example, an ICE SCOOPER.

Cerritos manager does so many illegal things in everything she does, yet never gets caught by corporate. From wearing her Nike sandals in the back of the house (where are her nonslips?), to extending expired products. We have several items that are only supposed to be sold for one day only (customers can keep them in the fridge once bought and opened) such as toast and half moons. But if she sees that there is too much waste (as a result from her over ordering), she forces fresh bread closers to peel off expiration stickers off toast, and re-bag the half moons tl make them more presentable. This procedure itself takes at least 30-40 min, which takes away closers time to, well, CLOSE. Yet leads still expect them to get out exactly on time, or even earlier. The only exception is the manager.... where she makes you stay until 2am on the weekends (closers are scheduled to 1:15am).

There's a lot of problems inside this location, more than what people think. Cerritos may be in the top 3 stores with the best sales, but in reality it's one of the bottoms stores with how shameless it's manager is and how it's employees get treated. There's so much more problems than what I stated above, but those are the main ones.

If you're very opinionated, and tend to speak up to when there are problems to leads, then don't bother working there. You'll just get shut down and disliked. Then leads will gossip about and target you. They favor people who does whatever they say with no question. If you decide to work here, you basically sell your soul to them.

Advice to Management

-Stop being cheap and order enough things to keep the store in stock. Customers are required to ask associates for something as simple at a fork (no spoons because manager is too cheap to provide spoons lol)
    -Take care of your associates, rather than standing around doing nothing or hiding in the back. Actually work- while you're at it, proficiently learn all the stations and how to close them. You're leads, so lead by example. It's embarrassing when you're asking an associate how to do your job. All the leads have been working at 85 for YEARS, but it doesn't show through their work.
    -Stop promoting people just because you like them. Actually consider people who are qualified and hard working. Someone who deserves a higher position.
    -Why is a little girl the manager?
    -Just be freaking decent human beings.

3. "logistics"

Pros

none, well people you work with are fun

Cons

basically everything is a con

5. "Don't come here."

Former Employee - Associate in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Cupertino, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. Fairly good meals. Free drinks

Cons

Dirty as hell
    Poor management
    Constantly overtime
    Availability is just for show. They don't care about your time.

Advice to Management

Managers don't really care about how you feel. constantly not helping you while rushing. Sometime you have to be there by yourself for 2 hours figuring what to do..

"Dreadful Work Environment"

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for students working part time. Meet fun coworkers and new friends. Learn some valuable skills.

Cons

A bunch of lousy managers they hire cannot seem to know how to be managers. Some of them love to bully and pick on store front associates. If you complain about it, they don't do anything. This company should be sued. The male managers continue to sexually harassment female associates and still get away with it even with multiple complaints. A bunch of lousy managers know how to look down on people, mock them behind their backs, do not help or encourage growth with the associates. They love sitting in the office for a majority of their shift. They love having people struggle in the front and they love not helping anyone. They do not care about anyone. Not me, not you. Do not work here even if you are desperate.

They love cutting hours because they cannot meet their sales goals. Everyone is poorly trained and they cannot develop any skills to make their job easier. Everyone is quitting left and right.

Many empty promises of a raise or promotion. All lies to get you to maximize your potential without paying you more. Many people quit knowing that it is not worth it. How can a company with such a good public reputation treat their employees like dirt? The workload grows while the people decreases.

I am so glad I left.

Advice to Management

This is America, not Taiwan. Do not work everyone like a slave with no benefits and extremely low pay.
    Stop cutting our hours for doing our jobs right.
    Cut the managers hours because they are unhelpful and sit in the office. Some are unqualified and abuse their position. Investigate your managers. Managers are the problems not the associate. Start there.

"Decent starting job"

Former Employee - Store Front Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Store Front Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees had to pay for parking because store location was in Old Town Pasadena. It gets really busy on Sundays and the store is often under-staffed.

Cons

Occasionally free bread if closing shift. Work is relatively easy if the store isn't busy.

Advice to Management

Give credit to people who deserve it most, not just the ones you are closest to.

"Minimum wage job with good hours and chill coworkers (for the most part). But with bad working environment"

Former Employee - Store Front Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Store Front Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

--> Good place to start if you have no work experience. Must be 18 or older to apply, though
    --> Fun and friendly coworkers; I thought they were the best thing about work. Some of the management were pretty awesome
    --> Since the store is open throughout most of the day, there are plenty of hours to choose from. For part-time work, the minimum of hours you were required to put in per week is 24 (except on weeks where your day-offs were approved)
    --> Most of the time, requesting some time off (or requesting days to work) is no problem. Just make sure you understand the whole process
    --> 20% employee discount, along w/ free teas if you bring your own cup; if you don’t bring your own cup, it’ll cost you 25 cents for a M, or 35 cents or a L

Cons

--> On holidays: You were required to work on holidays, unless you requested them off way in advance (at least 2 months in advance). If you were scheduled to work on a holiday and you didn’t show up, it would result in termination, regardless of circumstance. On sick days: If you got sick and called off on a work day, you’d be required to bring a doctor’s note to your next shift. On covering shifts: Was a long shot, because the task of finding someone to cover a shift was difficult
    --> Sometimes, in such short notice, weekends were closed off for day-off requests. The only way to bypass it was if you had a documented excuse
    --> Rude customers and weekly crowds, but both are expected in customer service jobs
    --> Rules could change without further notice and you’d be expected to follow them as if they were there all along
    --> Monthly store meetings were of little value. Each meeting was basically a critique of the store’s overall monthly performance and consisted of basic explanations of new rules (and sales targets). Almost of these things could've been summed up in an email. Each meeting also emphasized our downfalls more than our accomplishments, even though we often passed/exceeded sales targets and inspection
    --> Favoritism was pretty big in this store. With /some/ of the management team members, it showed in their actions. Example: talking down on others just to talk down on others — even if that person [the person being talked down on] got more done than them, and/or even if that person [again, the person being talked down on] tends to make less errors in their work (and work more efficiently) than the other person for similar work. It also showed in who they promote
    --> Leads were able to get away with anything as long as they didn’t get caught abusing the company’s resources. When I worked here, one of the supervisors would — without exaggeration whatsoever — intentionally go the extra mile to make me look and feel incompetent (while acting in a quiet and cautious manner). She would speak to me in a condescending tone, try to sass me, stare me down for no explicable reason, sometimes exaggerate the things I do at work and call me out on them, sometimes ask me to do questionable tasks, and sometimes make me do various tasks within an unreasonable time frame. No other employee I’ve worked within the store ever acted in this specific manner towards me

Advice to Management

To some of you in management, just because you’re part of management doesn’t necessarily mean you’re immune to error, superior than others, or guaranteed all respect regardless of behavior. It also doesn’t mean that you can mostly just delegate and assign your part of the work to lower-level employees, and then continue walking around (or sitting or standing around). Listen to your employees, help them out (especially during rush times), and treat them how you would want them to treat you

"Avoid Working Here Unless Desperate"

Current Employee - Baker
    Current Employee - Baker

I have been working at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because of such a demanding job, you meet some of the best, hard-working, funny coworkers.

(Two) Free bread for snack/lunch.

Cons

When I say my amazing coworkers are the only reason I am still here - I mean it. This place is a nightmare.

-Absolutely by far the worst thing about working at this company is the ridiculous standard of quality they want to achieve with the lowest possible pay and benefits. (Imagine In-n-Out quality standard but no benefits, less pay, and HORRIBLE corporate management)

-Hostile, inefficient work environment between upper management and associates which results in a high turn over rate.

-No reward for going above and beyond; even if you were promoted, the pay raise is abysmal.

- It takes months to train someone (especially in bread) and most people leave too soon realizing it is not worth it. It is very easy to be overwhelmed when you are expected to finish multiple jobs alone at the same time when people leave.

- the company wastes bread at an alarming rate
    - every trainer trains differently, especially frustrating when trainers get mad at you for doing what another trainer taught you.
    - The management is SLOW at fixing broken equipment, making work excessively hard

- The quality control visits are an absolute joke, and this is coming from someone who also works at a hospital; I have had "visits" where I was yelled at because my bread product was a few millimeters too big, or too small. So they would WASTE entire trays of bread, in front of customers, because it did not meet the standard of being 100% accurate in measurement.

- Management does not care to work in bread department. They avoid it like the plague because they know it is difficult, but they have no problem yelling at you for doing your best in such a bad situation. This is not just store management. This is also from corporate visits.

- May just be my specific store, but horribly understaffed because everyone has quit and no one wants to work here.
    - If you work alone in bread, jumping from ovens to coolers throughout the shift takes a toll on your health. Many coworkers get sick.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Don't delegate orders while lacking knowledge of the work to be done.

10. "Ok part time minimum wage job, good if you go to school"

Former Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in San Jose, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe full-time

Pros

You can learn good workplace skills, such as communication, teamwork, and working under pressure. Easy to form strong bonds with your coworkers.

Cons

Demanding, hectic, and physical work; you will be on your feet for most of the day and have to work very fast. Minimal employee benefits. High turnover, which could result in extra work for you.

11. "At least the pay is good, I guess"

Pros

Nice friendly co-workers, okay pay, decent hours. Depends on where you work and who you're with if you have fun or not.

Cons

The leads always picks favorites. They also just sit in the back and go on their phones, one of the leads make everyone else do her work and she gets the credit. Strict on waste, they rather you throw the food away instead of you keeping it.

Advice to Management

Maybe choose leads based on experience and if they get along with everyone instead of who you go party and gossip with.