85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Wu Cheng-Hsueh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, employee discount on products, employee meal is included per shift (in 17 reviews)

• free bread and 20% off anything you buy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The high turnover rate speaks for itself - only get a job here if you absolutely cannot find gainful employment elsewhere (in 8 reviews)

• Hostile, inefficient work environment between upper management and associates which results in a high turn over rate (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, free meal plan and the great learning opportunities.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

"High turnover - avoid unless you will starve without a job"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates are mostly cool, some members of management are decent people. For the most part, it's easy to get a job here.

Cons

Incredibly toxic management environment - one or two bad upper managers can completely ruin a store. Senior management, especially in the Northern California (NCA) region, is a bastion of mediocrity. This company is filled with Area Managers and General Managers who couldn't run a self-serve laundromat.

The high turnover rate speaks for itself - only get a job here if you absolutely cannot find gainful employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

If management at this company knew how to take advice, then this company wouldn't have an obscene turnover rate.

3. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Carrollton, TX

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, 20% Discount, 2 Free Breads Each 10 Min Break, Friendly Managers

Cons

Stressful, Inefficient, Unstable, Wasteful, Poor Communication

Advice to Management

Firstly, the whole "bag every piece of bread a customer has piled on their plate" is incredibly time consuming, wasteful, and inefficient. They could easily just pile bread with aluminum foil in a box rather than waste both time and plastic on over 1,000 pieces of bread daily. They made a lot of questionable changes to reduce waste which meant freezing cake slices and letting them defrost. So you'd have to wait 3+ hours for several cake slices to be ready rather than just making cakes and selling what you have like a normal bakery. So much inefficiency. The boxes also tend to butcher every 8" cake, while the strawberry roll FM is too tall for the box they use, so I'm pretty sure every customer who's bought that cake had accidentally destroyed it by simply pulling it out of the box. I suppose those were some of the few things that bothered me as someone who is a perfectionist. Other than that, the job itself was definitely not bad by far. It was usually fairly easy, though fast-paced. Though a problem I had is that you could have one manager ask you do do 10 other things including your main job, come back in 5-10 minutes and ask you why you haven't performed all of your main job duties. They were usually understaffed especially on weekends, but it's a little upsetting to be told you're being too slow when they're expecting you to do a,b,c--x,y,z and 10 other letters in between in less than 5 minutes. At some point, they had employed too many and so they had to cut many other's hours--while not saying informing us that was happening FOR 3 MONTHS. I had contacted them regularly just trying to understand why I hadn't been scheduled, for 3 months, nothing. Then we finally get an email saying, sorry, and if you want to be put back on the schedule let us know. Not ok. So, you could be put in the dark for quite sometime because communication is abysmal. Again though, that was my experience, if it weren't for what felt like a smack in the face I would've loved to continue working there despite all the inefficiency and imperfections.

"85c bakery Cafe Baker"

Former Employee - Area Bread Trainer in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Area Bread Trainer in Berkeley, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

young company, easy to get hired

Cons

no future for bakers, being over worked

Advice to Management

appreciate and take care of people who work so hard, instead of working them to death for sub-living wage

5. "Associate Work Experience"

Current Employee - Associate in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Richardson, TX

I have been working at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

FREE BREADS - up to two per shift. Means free lunches which is pretty good

Management team (personal experience) is very flexible with hours and very understanding

People who like high-stress environments will thrive here

Wage is somewhat high for the work involved

Always busy, barely notice that you're working

Cons

If you lose momentum or focus, it is very easy to get discouraged about how busy things are and how "seemingly understaffed" the store can get

Like most low-end retail/food stores, if the management behind operations is piss-poor, then the employee experience will suffer.

Even lower-level management positions are hourly-based, meaning fewer benefits and less job security

Very stressful, those who don't thrive in fast-paced environments may feel overwhelmed

There is the ever present "unattainable goal" mentality that is common in these Asian corporations that expect the unattainable as a "baseline" and then have fantastical stretch goals.

When corporate visits everyone gets yelled at because nobody can meet these goals.

Advice to Management

Analyse initial positions for employees a bit better off the bat. Some people who are great at memorization might be better working at the Bar then working the POS due to lack of social skills or whatever.

Try to avoid putting social individuals in solo-roles.

6. "Storefront Associate"

Former Employee - Storefront in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Storefront in Brea, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about making tea and coffee beverages. Ok job for students.

Cons

Lots of work for little pay. Management turnover is high

"too much stress"

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time

Pros

free bread and 20% off anything you buy

Cons

there was always long lines at my location and never enough people staffed to efficiently get through busy rush hours

Advice to Management

schedule enough people when it's the weekend

8. "Store Front Associate"

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe full-time

Pros

Fun coworkers, fast paced, lively

Cons

Can get very busy, high turn over rate

9. "associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Happy environment and team work

Cons

Great manager team the take care people

Advice to Management

Innovation thinking

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buena Park, CA

I worked at 85c Cafe Bakery and Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Coworkers
    Fun to make drinks

Cons

Poor Pay
    Mistreatment / overworking
    Managers fired constantly for tampering with work hours for their own money
    you do not get to take leftover bread home
    no free food
    They do not follow your schedule availability
    A lot of health violations
    Poor culture
    I've caught managers and supervisors drunk or high at work

Advice to Management

Get it together.